Orange's Stingy 6mb Data Allowance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
Forum Member
Hi

I think this has been discussed before, but I couldnt find the old thread

I'm about to buy an Orange Blackberry 8320 but this 6mb data cap seems a bit stingy

Someone told me that the data compression on blackberrys is 5-to-1

So in theory, it's 30meg of data (maybe)

So let's say I install Opera Mini on the BBerry... does the web data have to go thru Blackberry's servers?

And if so, doesnt that slow things down a bit? Am I missing the point here?

I may buy it later today so any advice this arvo appreciated!

cheers

Comments

• RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    That is NOT Orange being stingy, it's the Blackberry Internet Service tariff. More than enough and a bit more to facilitate the instant email on the handset.l
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Blackberry data and web data are seperate things. Opera Mini wont work with BIS.

(Off-topic. What's an arvo? Can't work that out. - sorry)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    That is NOT Orange being stingy, it's the Blackberry Internet Service tariff. More than enough and a bit more to facilitate the instant email on the handset.l

Sorry... I stand corrected. It's BBerry

I guess I'm just a bit sceptical that a) 6mb will be enough and b ) no-one on Orange has ever gone over the 6mb allowance

I'm not a hardcore web browser on mobile devices, but let's say I get a few emails with holiday photos attached... thats going to knacker my allowance isn't it???

@prking - Hang on... so if I wanted to web browse, I'd have to get an additional web browsing package because I cant do it via BIS??

Arvo = afternoon :D
  • delorean_2kdelorean_2k Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I'm about to buy an Orange Blackberry 8320 but this 6mb data cap seems a bit stingy

I have to admit I agree, so have gone with O2 - £10 a month for 200mb per/month Blackberry data

I want to use the full capabilities of the Blackberry without having any "have i used too much data" thoughts...

Google maps, Yahoo Go, E-mail attachments etc. all use data... It's naive to think of the data only in terms of plain text e-mails.
    Forum Member
    I have to admit I agree, so have gone with O2 - £10 a month for 200mb per/month Blackberry data

I want to use the full capabilities of the Blackberry without having any "have i used too much data" thoughts...

Google maps, Yahoo Go, E-mail attachments etc. all use data... It's naive to think of the data only in terms of plain text e-mails.

Yep, we're in the same boat fella

I guess you went with the 8310?

I'm thinking of doing the same, then selling it to buy an unlocked 8320 from the states - a bit complicated, but it *should* work!!
    Forum Member
    I guess you went with the 8310?

I'm thinking of doing the same, then selling it to buy an unlocked 8320 from the states - a bit complicated, but it *should* work!!

Yeah went with the 8310 from O2. An unlocked 8320 from the states should work, but as you say, bit complicated!

Why do you need the wifi? If you're with O2, you'll never go over the data allowance, so the only other reason must be speed? And if you youtube for "blackberry 8300 8310 wifi" you should get some videos showing that there is no real difference in speed between GPRS/EDGE and Wifi (unbelievable I know, but true)
    Forum Member
    Yeah went with the 8310 from O2. An unlocked 8320 from the states should work, but as you say, bit complicated!

Why do you need the wifi? If you're with O2, you'll never go over the data allowance, so the only other reason must be speed? And if you youtube for "blackberry 8300 8310 wifi" you should get some videos showing that there is no real difference in speed between GPRS/EDGE and Wifi (unbelievable I know, but true)

cheers for the tipoff. I saw those videos and there are other reports saying that wifi on the 8320 is a bit choked. However, it would be useful if abroad - just find a hotspot and you're done

How are you finding a) data transfer over EDGE and b) general speed of the BB?

ta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Anybody saying that a BB user won't go over 6mb per month is talking about the old style BB's that have no multimedia capabilities.

The new ones, e.g. Curve will quite easily go over 6mb a month if used to half of its potential.

e.g. I have got an 8300, and last month I used 16.5mb.
    Forum Member
    How are you finding a) data transfer over EDGE and b) general speed of the BB?

data transfer over EDGE is fine, although EDGE coverage is a bit sketchy - it sometimes is on, sometimes not. O2 apparently cover around 30-35% of the UK with EDGE - so you may or may not have EDGE coverage... Although to tell the truth I don't see a huge difference in day to day use whether it's on or off...

The general speed of the BB is good, no problem at all there
    Forum Member
    gtrevor wrote: »
    Anybody saying that a BB user won't go over 6mb per month is talking about the old style BB's that have no multimedia capabilities.

The new ones, e.g. Curve will quite easily go over 6mb a month if used to half of its potential.

e.g. I have got an 8300, and last month I used 16.5mb.

bingo

cheers trev... i think my decision on network has been made
    Forum Member
    No probs :) Would definitely recommend getting as much data on your inclusive tariff as possible if you want to freely enjoy the Curve!
    Forum Member
    Hats off to O2 - that is a cracking offer.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    As far as I know the 200Mb is the for web data. The BIS tariff is a lot less.
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I manage our orange account at work and none of our users go over the 6mb /mnth.

Remember, the 6mb is just for the email service,
    web browsing, streaming audio/video and downloads all come out of a separate data tariff.
    Forum Member
    Actually the service provided by Orange is called Internet Talk for Blackberry. And that 6mb IS for your web-browsing too.

As stated on the Orange website
    Make phone calls, send and receive emails and access the Internet.
    Forum Member
    darkone338 wrote: »
    Remember, the 6mb is just for the email service, web browsing, streaming audio/video and downloads all come out of a separate data tariff.

Not true ... the 6mb BIS tariff includes any data usage on the devices own software / 3rd party apps (e.g. Google Maps) ... if you use the BB as a modem for a laptop then that would come out of a separate data allowance...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Hi

I think this has been discussed before, but I couldnt find the old thread

Someone told me that the data compression on blackberrys is 5-to-1

So in theory, it's 30meg of data (maybe)

So let's say I install Opera Mini on the BBerry... does the web data have to go thru Blackberry's servers?

And if so, doesnt that slow things down a bit? Am I missing the point here?

I may buy it later today so any advice this arvo appreciated!

cheers

You can't really generalise the compression like that as it depends on content, but 6mb is 3,000 e-mails as only the first 2kb of each e-mail is downloaded unless you request more and a 1mb picture is typically 20kb.

Robert