iPad 2 - need a computer?

GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just bought my parents an iPad 2. Can they totally skip iTunes on a computer or this is still necessary for updates (they're unlikely to be transferring music or videos).

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    I've just bought my parents an iPad 2. Can they totally skip iTunes on a computer or this is still necessary for updates (they're unlikely to be transferring music or videos).
    The new Ipad 3 can update without Itunes. You can update Ipad 2 from Itunes and get IO5, after that it you can updated it directly from the Ipad.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the iPad 2 is new, surely it would already have the latest iOS, and not need a computer...
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    If the iPad 2 is new, surely it would already have the latest iOS, and not need a computer...
    My IPad 2 which I got last year had IOS4, I had to update it to get IO5.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There is a little palace in the Icloud.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All new iPad 2s will have iOS5, infact the new ones come with upgraded processors (32nm) that gives 15-20% better battery life.

As mentioned it will work fine without a computer. The limitation is you won't be able to transfer music to it (well unless it's stuff you previously bought on iTunes).
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    All new iPad 2s will have iOS5, infact the new ones come with upgraded processors (32nm) that gives 15-20% better battery life.

As mentioned it will work fine without a computer. The limitation is you won't be able to transfer music to it (well unless it's stuff you previously bought on iTunes).
    Or if you're an iTunes Match subscriber - then even your own stuff not bought from iTunes is available to stream/download without a computer. Assuming you've used a computer in the past to upload to the cloud in the first place of course :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Or if you're an iTunes Match subscriber - then even your own stuff not bought from iTunes is available to stream/download without a computer. Assuming you've used a computer in the past to upload to the cloud in the first place of course :)

I have never used iTunes Match, is it good?
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends where the op buys it from ?
    A mate of mine bought one only last week from John Lewis and that had ios 4
    He didn't have a pc so went to the apple store and they plugged it in for him and updated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member

It is if you've got a large CD library.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    He didn't have a pc so went to the apple store and they plugged it in for him and updated

Yeah places like John Lewis probably have loads of old stock sitting in a warehouse. I meant new as in ones built in the last few months. Ofcoarse there is no way to guarantee this, your best bet is probably to buy directly from Apple.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yeah places like John Lewis probably have loads of old stock sitting in a warehouse. I meant new as in ones built in the last few months. Ofcoarse there is no way to guarantee this, your best bet is probably to buy directly from Apple.

It does not matter if it comes with iOS 4 or iOS5 as if it doesn't come with it then you can just update it anyway - no reason to pay more to get if from Apple just to get latest iOS when you can have it as a free download anyway.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find it very useful personally and have been using it since Christmas. I had about 5000 music tracks from a variety of sources. It found about 4500 of them already existing on the iTunes store so only needed to upload the 500 it couldn't identify. I then deleted my entire music library from my computers and devices, and download clean, high bitrate versions of my songs as required. Naturally better to download over WiFi, to avoid data charges.
  • ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »

Got mine from Argos the other day and its got ios 5 already installed :)
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't update wirelessly until you get ios 5
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I find it very useful personally and have been using it since Christmas. I had about 5000 music tracks from a variety of sources. It found about 4500 of them already existing on the iTunes store so only needed to upload the 500 it couldn't identify. I then deleted my entire music library from my computers and devices, and download clean, high bitrate versions of my songs as required. Naturally better to download over WiFi, to avoid data charges.

I signed up a few weeks ago. Impressed so far.

The thing that put me off before was that I (incorrectly) assumed that Matches were DRM protected, so if you stopped subscribing you lost them... Once I learnt that was not true, and that everything is DRM free just like normal purchased stuff I signed up... Now all my CD rips are 256kbps AAC, instead of the varying formats and bitrates I ripped them in over the years. Everything that was Matched, I deleted and re-downloaded like you. Everything that didn't get Matched, and got Uploaded instead, I've been working my way through re-ripping as 256kbps AACs.

Great having all my music accessible online, instead of just purchased music. iTunes Match also means I can access it all via my Apple TV :)