Options

XCom: Enemy Unknown thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    I've had the issue with the game getting stuck on the "Alien Activity" phase a few times now, which is really annoying as it does mean that effectively it's pointless trying to play Ironman.

So for now I'm doing my own personal Ironman where I only save at the start of missions and then only reload if the game gets stuck. Just finished the game on normal and have started on classic, and boy is it a step up in difficulty!

The game is pretty buggy. Just lost a classic ironman save game because it crashed when it was saving a progress.
    I was doing really well, 8 hours into the game then bang!! Everything's gone. Totally PISSED off! :mad:
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sm152 wrote: »
    The game is pretty buggy. Just lost a classic ironman save game because it crashed when it was saving a progress.
    I was doing really well, 8 hours into the game then bang!! Everything's gone. Totally PISSED off! :mad:

The bugs do make it rather unplayable ATM unless you can be bothered constantly backing up your save.

The game gets really tough when those flying disks start attacking. I wasn't far into the game and got 2 of them and my guys 4 guys decided all to miss their 70% shots at the start... As you can imagine it led to all my team being dead and the country pulling out the xcom project.

I had another country leave when I was just one month in after the second UFO I detected was a large and I couldn't stop it... It's situations like the 2 I mention when you would have reloaded a save on normal.

The thing is I didn't really have any issues on normal so I would manage that on ironman ok, it's the combination of classic, ironman and bugs that seem to be messing me about.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The bugs do make it rather unplayable ATM unless you can be bothered constantly backing up your save.

The game gets really tough when those flying disks start attacking. I wasn't far into the game and got 2 of them and my guys 4 guys decided all to miss their 70% shots at the start... As you can imagine it led to all my team being dead and the country pulling out the xcom project.

I had another country leave when I was just one month in after the second UFO I detected was a large and I couldn't stop it... It's situations like the 2 I mention when you would have reloaded a save on normal.

The thing is I didn't really have any issues on normal so I would manage that on ironman ok, it's the combination of classic, ironman and bugs that seem to be messing me about.

It seems to have a massive save bug. I've noticed this and I haven't been doing Ironman (that's next play-through). Saved and my saves don't show up, sometimes I have to delete some in order for it to refresh and appear.

The other thing, and for now it's the only other real thing, that's really bothering me is the camera angle. Particular UFOs I can't see where my squad is, apart from the outline, and the roof won't disappear, even though I've scrolled onto the right level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sm152 wrote: »

I just finished an ironman game and i'll tell you this, NEVER again!

The bugs are borderline game-breakers at times on ironman, so many deaths which i could do nothing about. Lost a complete squad one time thanks to the "under the floor" bug, a bloody disk got stuck out of sight under the map and proceeded to slaughter everyone :(

Coming back from that took sheer willpower and a grim determination not to be beaten by the bugs! Thankfully i had only just got to psychers by that time so it wasn't so bad.

I can't believe they actually tested this game, i can't recall a buggier launch in many, many years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    It seems to have a massive save bug. I've noticed this and I haven't been doing Ironman (that's next play-through). Saved and my saves don't show up, sometimes I have to delete some in order for it to refresh and appear.

The other thing, and for now it's the only other real thing, that's really bothering me is the camera angle. Particular UFOs I can't see where my squad is, apart from the outline, and the roof won't disappear, even though I've scrolled onto the right level.

On the PC version Q and E rotate the view :)
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    On the PC version Q and E rotate the view :)

I know that :). It's not a problem that's rectified like that. You can rotate, zoom and scroll through the levels all you want, but the roof doesn't disappear. Can't remember the exact class, but ...

There's two rooms on the 'base level', and a walkway in between and all the way round them both on an upper level. These two rooms then go up and join the walkway. It's there that I have the problem. I can't scroll down a level, because that goes down to the 'base' level, but that level itself brings up the roof, and it won't disappear, and I just see the outline of whoever out of my squad is there. Can't see cover, or the distinction between dashing etc.

It's not a problem unique to me. Couple of friends who have it have said the same thing, especially with this particular UFO class.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I can't believe they actually tested this game, i can't recall a buggier launch in many, many years.

Have you not played Skyrim? :D
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Just finished this on Normal difficulty. Not sure if I want to play through it again on a higher difficulty as I already found it challenging enough! I think going with 1 sniper hindered me most, they seem to be game-winners when you've got double tap on them.

As for the bugs, I encountered a few, mostly on the rescue missions. The person I had to rescue would say something, and then it wouldn't let me take my turn. Fortunately, clearing the cache and reloading the game fixed it. Overall though, after playing Fallout, FIFA, and Skyrim, I'd say it wasn't the buggiest game I've played! :D
  • Options
    edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Just finished this on Normal difficulty. Not sure if I want to play through it again on a higher difficulty as I already found it challenging enough! I think going with 1 sniper hindered me most, they seem to be game-winners when you've got double tap on them.

Well done! Now you need to Ironman it on Classic :)

I like a Sniper, 2 Assault (one with rifle), 1 Support and 2 heavy squad myself but most variations can be made to work depending on your playstyle :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »
    Well done! Now you need to Ironman it on Classic :)

I like a Sniper, 2 Assault (one with rifle), 1 Support and 2 heavy squad myself but most variations can be made to work depending on your playstyle :)

I wouldn't bother, I tried 3 times and ended up with a fecked save all 3 times and god knows how many wasted hours.

Also you can't backup your save on the PS3 as it doesn't let you copy it to a USB drive.

By all means do classic but I would ignore ironman until the bugs are fixed.
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XCOM Enemy Within

Quick update on this update of the 2012 update! It’s a clever evolve of Enemy Unknown, with additional factions, maps and subtle strategic nuances thrown into the established, varied and abundant mix. Firaxis have created something very, very special here. It’s a wonderfully affectionate, emotive rework of those Microprose originals and probably the finest game I've played on a console. Now bring on Terror from the Deep.

Meta - 89%
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XCOM Enemy Within

Quick update on this update of the 2012 update! It’s a clever evolve of Enemy Unknown, with additional factions, maps and subtle strategic nuances thrown into the established, varied and abundant mix. Firaxis have created something very, very special here. It’s a wonderfully affectionate, emotive rework of those Microprose originals and probably the finest game I've played on a console. Now bring on Terror from the Deep.

Meta - 89%

Good job re-opening this thread Chelsea as i'm playing Enemy Within too and really enjoying it. Its like the good old fashioned 'expansion packs' it has the same core gameplay and story but with new factions units and mission types. The Mecs, along with the gene thereapy AND the psychic abilities allows for a lot of customisation.

Boy is it hard though...well in the early stages i lost a lot of good men and women, now though my team are very formidable and i haven't suffered a loss in ages, I have 2 mecs, 2 amazing snipers who are genetically enhanced and two support guys. They wear titan armour and have plasma weapons! They're all colonels and majors too now

I loved the Exalt missions, it was cool having like an anti-Xcom fighting against you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I played through this when it first came out, really enjoyed it, a decent stand alone expansion.
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Boy is it hard though...well in the early stages i lost a lot of good men and women, now though my team are very formidable and i haven't suffered a loss in ages

Yep, it’s one of the many positives of this one and cleverly mimics the originals. A fairly sharp learn curve, but as you delve into the varied intricacies of research, manufacture and base development your efforts are rewarded. Much respect to Firaxis and a very worthy successor to Julian G’s 94 masterpiece.

For any others interested, the console versions of Enemy Within are standalone. PC requires the original 2012 Enemy Unknown.