La Roux as diplomatic as ever

2»

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much prefer La Roux to Taylor Swift and tend to agree with her comments as will everyone-else once they get fed up of DJ's that have just 'discovered' her due to Kanye's actions at the VMAs... :p
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This woman is awful. She looks a state and her music is unoriginal shite. There is nothing worse than people who think they are too cool for school, they end up come across as patronising, condesening up their own arse morons.

umm... is this not the same as what almost everyone seems to be crucifying ellie for?
    she was giving her opinion, as she has the right to do. like you're doing now. same thing...
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    umm... is this not the same as what almost everyone seems to be crucifying ellie for?
    she was giving her opinion, as she has the right to do. like you're doing now. same thing...

If someone says something nasty to you, and you tell them to f-off- you wouldn't be in the wrong- the person that throws the first unprovoked punch is the one that is out of order- providing of course it is unprovoked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I think some are getting a little too angry about one comment. :rolleyes:
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    I think some are getting a little too angry about one comment. :rolleyes:

Who says anyone is angry? We're just discussing it on a music forum, no big deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,543
    Forum Member
    I'm pissed off at La Roux moaning about everyone; does she seriously think Kanye West or Taylor Swift, both of whom are infinately more successful than her, care what she has to say?

Her music is alright, but not awe-inspiring. Taylor Swift's very talented and certainly not another one-hit nobody, and OK, she has that 'squeaky clean' attitude, but it doesn't make her a terrible person, lol. Her video was good and deserved the award, though I am inclined to agree that that PARTICULAR award would have been better off going to a more dynamic video.
  • Highland RubyHighland Ruby Posts: 225
    Forum Member

I think it's because she was giving her opinion as fact. She said most people were in agreement her video wasn't the best. Has she spoken to most people? She didn't ask me.

Taylor Swift is also blatantly not manufactured. She may not like her music, fair do's, but she's incorrect.
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    I actually also prefer La Roux to Taylor Swift but thats not the point. its the blatant hypocrisy. You can't tell me that not alot of thought went into Elly's image. As the quiff grows.. 100,000 more records are sold. It basically just covers up that their music is hollow and unoriginal and there are far better electro pop bands

Yeah she has her "look" but so does every other popstar/ member of a band out there.

I know you like Crystal Castles, (they'll be one of the "better" electro pop bands you were thinking of right, possibly the only one, unless you have a list ready to reel off) but I don't hear you complaining when they look like they've walked off the pages of an alternative fashion magazine. Complete with "stylish" hair cuts. :rolleyes:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so fed up with this wannabe. Lets face it, she had one no.1 and all of a sudden she thinks its okay to broadcast her opinions on everyone and everything to the world. Who cares Elly? WHO cares?

Her music is massively over rated and gimmicky (electropop is hardly anything new). At least Taylor has the talent to develop her own style in her genre, instead of screeching over arcade music and calling it different.

There's nothing special about you Elly, in fact the only reason you got where you are is because of your ridiculous hair cut which tbh looks like a c**k. Grab your last bits of fame while you can, because you're no icon Elly you'll be gone by the end of next year.:mad:
  • tigraboitigraboi Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    She's got a big mouth for someone who's sole talent is singing badly to Nintendo.

:D ROFL, classic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I'm so fed up with this wannabe. Lets face it, she had one no.1 and all of a sudden she thinks its okay to broadcast her opinions on everyone and everything to the world. Who cares Elly? WHO cares?

Her music is massively over rated and gimmicky (electropop is hardly anything new). At least Taylor has the talent to develop her own style in her genre, instead of screeching over arcade music and calling it different.

There's nothing special about you Elly, in fact the only reason you got where you are is because of your ridiculous hair cut which tbh looks like a c**k. Grab your last bits of fame while you can, because you're no icon Elly you'll be gone by the end of next year.:mad:

what's ground-breaking about taylor's style of music? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Just wrote about this on my blog. Glad other people feel the same way :)

Here's the post in full - sorry it's a bit long, but I was really annoyed!:

We live in a fast moving world of instant gratification. News pages are updated by the minute, we download albums before they're even released, and sites like Twitter allows us to describe our ablutions in real-time.

The world of celebrity is equally instantaneous. For instance, 16 year-old pop tart Miley Cyrus is already putting the finishing touches to her seventh album, whilst other stars are having their autobiographies ghost-written before they even lose their milk teeth. But the most worrying example of fame's quickening pace, is the fact that some artists, whose careers have all the established maturity of skimmed milk, feel comfortable critiquing their fellow performers.

Current flavour-of-the-month (and owner of the most worrying quiff outside of a Flock of Seagulls tribute act) La Roux took an unnecessary pop at Taylor Swift this week, despite the fact that her debut album is still listed under 'New Releases' on iTunes.

Speaking to Radio 1, the humourless eighties-throwback weighed in with her thoughts on the Kanye West debacle, saying "I think you should never go and ruin someone's moment like that, whether you feel they deserve it or not." Which is all well and good, but then she decided to continue with her theme:

"I do think people should stand up more against rubbish music and people should say, 'No, sorry this isn't that good'. It's not. Taylor Swift's music isn't good, it's manufactured princess pop, we've got enough of it, let's have something else."

Unfortunately, no-one in the studio bothered to point out that such a critique was rich coming from someone whose entire 'sound' could have been fished out of Vince Clarke's garbage, circa 1983.

If Elly Jackson (La Roux's actual name) knew what she was talking about, she might have picked up on the fact that Taylor is actually an accomplished country singer-songwriter. She might also have discovered that in January of this year, Taylor became the first country artist to sell over 2 million downloads of three different songs, all of which were self-penned. When it comes to musical tastes, notions of good and bad become redundant.

The great thing about music, is that it's a broad enough field to offer something for everyone. It's like a hypothetical question with no right or wrong answers. So the moment anyone, especially an artist, closes themselves off to other genres, or criticises them as inferior, they show a lack of respect for the artform they claim to love.

She may only be 19, but Taylor Swift has shown commendable maturity and grace this week. It's just a shame that her pasty-faced (and infinitely more 'worthy') critic is incapable of doing the same.

from www.p0pvulture.blogspot.com
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @gdimelow, thank you!!

People like this only seal their own fate. Look what happened to Jamelia when she started getting mouthy like this calling Leona Lewis 'a poor mans Mariah Carey' just days after she won the X Factor. And now look where she is, at the heady heights of co-presenting the Wednesday National Lottery slot. Elly will get whats coming right at her from the GB media and public. Most are already bored or fed up of her and her music is in decline. The album sold well only thanks to Bulletproof, which is an OK song at best. She has no credibility for us to take her opinions seriously, what has she done that makes her think she can criticise all these artists and call R&B meaningless??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    @gdimelow, thank you!!

People like this only seal their own fate. Look what happened to Jamelia when she started getting mouthy like this calling Leona Lewis 'a poor mans Mariah Carey' just days after she won the X Factor. And now look where she is, at the heady heights of co-presenting the Wednesday National Lottery slot. Elly will get whats coming right at her from the GB media and public. Most are already bored or fed up of her and her music is in decline. The album sold well only thanks to Bulletproof, which is an OK song at best. She has no credibility for us to take her opinions seriously, what has she done that makes her think she can criticise all these artists and call R&B meaningless??

they won't be that interested will they?
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomDaOne wrote: »
    Yeah she has her "look" but so does every other popstar/ member of a band out there.

I know you like Crystal Castles, (they'll be one of the "better" electro pop bands you were thinking of right, possibly the only one, unless you have a list ready to reel off) but I don't hear you complaining when they look like they've walked off the pages of an alternative fashion magazine. Complete with "stylish" hair cuts. :rolleyes:

The point I was making was the hypocrisy in Elly's argument... she's just as manufactured as the people she slags off all the time..she also said "oh lets have something different" but theres nothing different about La Roux.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't really add a lot more to what his been said already. Does she really think that taking shots and "speaking her mind" will make her a more credable artist (rather than making some better music) then she will just be another bump on the musical road in a couple of years.
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She doesn't have the right to be rude and disrespectful towards other artists, it makes her come accross as a bitch with an attitude problem and huge superiority complex. She needs to keep her trap shut.

Silly bint probably only got a record deal because Mummy was in The Bill. I wonder how she'd feel if another artist turned around and said she was riding off her parents coat tails?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She doesn't have the right to be rude and disrespectful towards other artists, it makes her come accross as a bitch with an attitude problem and huge superiority complex. She needs to keep her trap shut.

Silly bint probably only got a record deal because Mummy was in The Bill. I wonder how she'd feel if another artist turned around and said she was riding off her parents coat tails?:rolleyes:

any artist is free to say that if they so wish
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    The point I was making was the hypocrisy in Elly's argument... she's just as manufactured as the people she slags off all the time..she also said "oh lets have something different" but theres nothing different about La Roux.

You brought up her image. I have pointed out that image plays a part in most acts. I really don't see what the issue is. I personally like La Roux as a duo for nothing other than the music.
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomDaOne wrote: »
    You brought up her image. I have pointed out that image plays a part in most acts. I really don't see what the issue is. I personally like La Roux as a duo for nothing other than the music.

The reason I bought up image is because I was reiterating what La Roux said about Taylor being manufactured. and simply pointed out that La Roux and her management have obviously thought hard about her image and how to make her come across as "cool" Patrick Wolf said something interesting about the fact that after he was dropped from the same record label all the money being put into him was now being invested in her... funny how she has a similar "look" to Patrick Wolf.

I'm just saying that artists like her should look in the mirror before condemning someone for being manufactured. I know you like her for no reason other than her music but unfortunately there are people out there who have been taken in by her "look" I know this, Elly knows this, her management knows this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    La Roux is awful music and pain to the ears.

I prefer Taylor because she always has a sunny disposition about everything whereas Ms. Jackson is never happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinderelly wrote: »
    La Roux is awful music and pain to the ears.

I prefer Taylor because she always has a sunny disposition about everything whereas Ms. Jackson is never happy.

that's a bit far-fetched, unless you know them you can't say anyone's always happy or never happy.. articles/clips you've seen of them both may show them to be this way, but you can't know what they're like away from the cameras.
    Forum Member
    Maybe I should've said instead that she doesn't come across as a particularly happy person in interviews? :/ I'm sorry I didn't mean it like how you interpreted it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinderelly wrote: »
    Maybe I should've said instead that she doesn't come across as a particularly happy person in interviews? :/ I'm sorry I didn't mean it like how you interpreted it.

no need to say sorry :) my fault i interpreted it wrong.

i like la roux so i'm a bit defensive on this thread :o

i think its because she's very serious about her music and she's only young that she doesn't come across as particularly jolly - not saying taylor isn't either, but there's a big difference between teens in america and britain imo
    Forum Member
    Oh it's fine :) I get what you mean, though we don't have many teen artists I can think of the top of my head, come to think of it.