Options

All News programmes last night.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
Forum Member
✭✭
Now i Know that cancer is a very serious issue and have had first hand experience of what this vile disease can do, but Kylie minogue having been diagnosed with it should not be the lead news story.Every news channel i went to, their lead story was regarding Kylie.Is it getting the way of america where celebrity is getting more important than actual real news.Or are the standards of Journalism slipping/falling.It would seem that scally culture or chav culture as some people are saying is being taken on board by entertainment companies looking to maximise profits.
(get well soon kylie)

Comments

• Options
    Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie is a big celebrity, of course the news are going to report on it.

Kylie is one of them few celebs where everyone knows who your talking about when you just say her first name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't mentioned on Newsnight, until Paxo was doing today's newspapers and she was splashed across most of the front pages.

BBC News 24 was leading with The Queen's Speech and Galloway when I was watching at 18:30 last night.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it headlined much of the news because it brings home just how prevalent this disease has become and that people of any age can get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote:
    I think it headlined much of the news because it brings home just how prevalent this disease has become and that people of any age can get it.

Ofcourse it hasn't become 'more prevalent', we're just detecting it much earlier now, thanks to better imaging and screening techniques.

Increased detection capabilities and the much increased life-span are the reasons we're seeing rises in the numbers of cancers, not because you are more likely to get cancer.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i only saw it on news 24, and it was a headlin, but about 3rd or 4th story.

at the end of the day, celebrity or not, the increase in awareness that it will bring is this cloud's silver lining.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne321 wrote:
    Kylie is a big celebrity, of course the news are going to report on it.

Kylie is one of them few celebs where everyone knows who your talking about when you just say her first name.
    My point was that they all lead with the story i agree that she is big news but it should have say been the third slot on the news not the lead.
    Has nothing happened in parliament or overseas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chas smash wrote:
    My point was that they all lead with the story i agree that she is big news but it should have say been the third slot on the news not the lead.
    Has nothing happened in parliament or overseas

Which channels were you watching and at what time?
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't beleive how much time GMTV spent on the "breaking news". Does anyone not expect her to make a full recovery? Let her get on with getting better, I didnt think it was a big deal, more of a personal thing for her.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Szlater wrote:
    Which channels were you watching and at what time?
    Sky News had it as lead in morning im sure.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the morning the main news of the day (Queens Speech at 11:30 and Galloway (3:00pmish) had yet to happen so it's understandable for the news channels to lead on the Kylie story.

Last night BBC news at least led on the speech and Galloway so I don't see how "all news programmes last night" led on this.