Gay characters in Neighbours & Home and Away.

Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
Forum Member
you would be forgiven for thinking that australia doesnt have ANY gay people living there :rolleyes:
what is the deal with the complete lack of any gay characters in either of these soaps, or any talk of homosexuality what-so-ever!
i just find it so unbelievable!
especially if you compare it to the british soaps, its like australia is a backward country or somthing. can anyone explain it?

Comments

• oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie had a girlfriend in Home and Away, although she has a boyfriend again now, and there is a gay boy in Neighbours but I can't remember his name.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    Chris has just come out as gay on Neighbours, problem is that he isn't a main character and according to reports, they don't know what to do with the character. I really hope they don't get rid of him, he is a good character.

Home and Away had a couple of gay characters. Chris, Pippa's son, is gay.

There was also a guest character called Dean, who Matilda liked, there was a scene on the beach with him kissing his ex, he left the same episode.

Charlie and Joey eventually got together, but it didn't last and now Charlie is with Angelo.

There are a few more than the ones I posted, but either they have been guest characters or the character went back to being straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandy and Shannon from Home and Away

lana from Neighbours
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    you would be forgiven for thinking that australia doesnt have ANY gay people living there :rolleyes:
    what is the deal with the complete lack of any gay characters in either of these soaps, or any talk of homosexuality what-so-ever!
    i just find it so unbelievable!
    especially if you compare it to the british soaps, its like australia is a backward country or somthing. can anyone explain it?

Australia has a TV ratings system, similar to the cinema system here. Neighbours has always had the lowest rating, G suitable for all, and up till a couple of years ago H&A did as well, although H&A is now the next rating up; PG Parental guidance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_content_rating_systems#Australia

The producers of H&A have always said there was no point trying to have gay characters in G rated shows as the rules regarding what can't be shown made it impossible anyway
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    This has been discussed many times on this forum, Australia is a backward and conservative country that doesn't like seeing gay people on tv. They only eve appear for short term sensationalist storylines then leave the show.

I thought everyone knew this.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that gay people should appear in any programme just to tick a box
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    charmedend wrote: »
    I don't think that gay people should appear in any programme just to tick a box

I think there has to be a fair repersentation of gay/lesbian people in soaps as there is in real life. Australia is very backward looking when it comes to portraying gay people on screen. I have heard that Australians don't like gay people in their soaps as it is a very conservative country and I think I am right in saying that in some states homosexuality is still banned :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I think there has to be a fair repersentation of gay/lesbian people in soaps as there is in real life. Australia is very backward looking when it comes to portraying gay people on screen. I have heard that Australians don't like gay people in their soaps as it is a very conservative country and I think I am right in saying that in some states homosexuality is still banned :(

I'm quite suprised that homosexuality could still be banned in certain states...thats really bad!!! Just kinda confirms everything that I've always thought about Australia and it's policies.

I agree that gay/lesbian people need to be represented on tv, but not necessarily soaps. The people that are invoved in soaps seem to lack creativity or are unwilling to come up with proper storylines for gay/lesbian people. So tend to stick with the usual coming out story which is not very original. I would like to see a storyline that involves a gay person, but is not about their sexuality, personally I'm sick of these syorylines where coming out "is" the storyline.
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian2439 wrote: »
    Mandy and Shannon from Home and Away

Yum! :D
  • Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    australia is a great country, but the people are so backward with there views its quite laughable! and this is reflected in the soaps
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    Didn't Donna claim to be bisexual when she first came into it? Pretty sure it was Donna, or was she just lying, cos she was a totally different character back then to what she's like now.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H&A is total dross at the moment, producer Cameron Welch hasn't the foggiest, the affair between Joey and Charlie was an absolute insult to viewers, pretty much like what the show is now, sharpen the axe menthinks!!!:mad:
  • Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H&A is total dross at the moment, producer Cameron Welch hasn't the foggiest, the affair between Joey and Charlie was an absolute insult to viewers, pretty much like what the show is now, sharpen the axe menthinks!!!:mad:

lol. yep its dreadful, needs a new producer and a massive shake up asap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »

Methodyguy, be sure to let us know which Australian states ban homosexuality. :rolleyes: