Madeleine:The Last Hope ? BBC1 25/4/12

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    It's doubtful he even heard their confession unless the McCanns speak fluent Portuguese.

I think the church were more upset with the way they were used in a PR campaign and camera opportunity.

That's an interpretation I find more believable.
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    The cynic in me sees it as an alliance between the McCanns and the Government - Cameron getting personally involved in the search for Madeleine being a calculated political move aimed at garnering popular support, whilst the UK police still working on the basis of a abduction that their Portuguese counterparts cannot solve helps the McCanns cause, furthering their version of events.

I really dont think the Mccann's are that popular with the public so if he was looking for votes i dont know why? the only sympathy most people seem to have is with Madaleine and how scared she must have been to be left crying on a night for her parents:cry: and hoping she will be found one day. i dont know who the Mccanns are but they really must have some contact with people high up to get the Goverments help, the media and the Press fawning over them, and programme's to be so one sided in favour for them.(always putting the blame on anyone but them for leaving three children alone) also they seem to get on the front pages most days. shame Ben Needhams mum didnt have the same contacts.......
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trec123 wrote: »
    I don't know what happened to Madeleine, and I suspect that sadly no one ever will.
    But whatever the truth of what happened, I found this programme uncomfortably one sided - I don't really know what I expected from it, but it amounted to nothing more than an attack on the Portugese police,pointing out why our police force were now being sent in to do their jobs because they are seemingly so imcompetent - I have to say I think they're bearing this insult quite well!
    The Portugese may have made mistakes, but they were also hindered at the start of the investigation by some of the actions of the McCanns and their friends.
    It felt almost as if the programme was a kind of propaganda campaign for Kate and Gerry, and each time there's a new documentary or book or any other kind of publicity drive, it seems to muddy the waters even more, imo.

Absolutely agree with this.

I was really annoyed at the programme it was just a chance to knock the PJ again there was nothing knew in it.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    The 'crime scene' was contaminated before the police arrived by the McCanns and friends wandering around the apartment. Another inaccuracy of the Panorama documentary, which implied that the contamination was caused by the police.

The twins slept through the 'abduction', the searches, the initial police presence. Kate McCann thought they might have been drugged, and even checked that they were breathing...yet did not take them to a doctor to be checked over, or even request that they be examined to check for drugs in their systems. Remember that, for all she knew, they could have been given something toxic or given an overdose of whatever drug was used by the 'abductor'.

Yes, I expect she wanted them to die, too. Is there no lengths to which you lot won't go to vilify this poor family? Totally unbelievable.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,953
    Forum Member
    Red alert! Red alert! Don't respond DSers.....
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The documentary was keen to tell us how much money Amaral had made out of the case, what about Team McCann ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    From day one I've always thought that little Madeleine wandered off into the night and sadly lost her life to some kind of accident.

Why does no one connected to this case think the same ? To me it's the most obvious answer, but those involved seem to be concentrating on the least likely scenarios.
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    The programme was nothing but propaganda but I am heartened that more people are beginning to realize this manipulation.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Barb Ablar wrote: »
    From day one I've always thought that little Madeleine wandered off into the night and sadly lost her life to some kind of accident.

Why does no one connected to this case think the same ? To me it's the most obvious answer, but those involved seem to be concentrating on the least likely scenarios.

I think she would have been found if that was the case. The immediate area was searched.
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme was nothing but propaganda but I am heartened that more people are beginning to realise this manipulation.

I agree Hermione. But the question is, how could Panorama stoop so low?

For as long as I remember, this programme has prided itself on its level-headed, impartial reporting. That's what Panorama IS!

But this programme was a mixture of extremely poor journalism, regurgitated old rubbish, self-centered egotism (the 'me, me, me' reporter), inaccurate and biased one-sided content. 0/10 for effort & achievement.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought that might have happened to Ben Needham, but that area was far remoter and a rougher, with a longer time passing before it was noticed he was missing. It's hard to imagine that a child could just wander off and disappear like that in a busy holiday resort with a lot of people searching, in such a short space of time.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably because, if she'd had an accident, her body would have been found.

I do tend to agree with you on the first point. I think she wandered off too, but was then abducted by an opportunist who saw a small child wandering around lost.

But who knows?:confused:
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hermione wrote: »
    The programme was nothing but propaganda but I am heartened that more people are beginning to realize this manipulation.

It was dreadful journalism and poor reporting and who wanted to see the reporter on the beach for long drawn out scenes ? Very dissappointing ,
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    The thing about Panorama these days is that it is no longer the quality investigative journalism programme it used to be. It has essentially become a TV equivalent of tabloid "journalism" and therefore it's no surprise that on the MM story it takes the same line as the tabloids themselves, playing to popular opinion rather than actually trying to uncover the facts.

This is the issue I have with the whole Madeleine McCann case it is no longer a police investigation it is the stuff of soap opera / tabloid fodder. It's treated by sections of the media in the same way as a storyline from tv show ie: Coronation Street. This has led to folks taking the same attitude relishing becoming detectives to to solve a crime - more fun than tv detective story as it's real! Just look at the viewing figures for this Panorama documentary - the public have an insatiable appetite for it. The media feed what the public want to watch/read.

Now we can all go back to how all this started but it needs to stop. She is not going to be found or what happened to her established via tv show/media/internet detectives. Personally I have no problem with investigations being ongoing but they should be kept to police - both here & in Portugal. Fact is anything of real significance found is not going to be put into public domain - this time. That was the major issue with Portuguese police in initial investigation even though there was supposed to be official secrecy they were openly briefing out details day in day out. That should be unacceptable in anyones book. It was great for the amateur sleuths but hardly professional. I do think this was part of what set the tone for the Portuguese police bashing as some of what they were feeding out was later found to be factually incorrect. This was even covered in Leveson enquiry a few weeks ago. Media basically saying that if they were being fed dud info. & UK police knew they should have 'off the record' told the british media.
    Forum Member
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    I agree Hermione. But the question is, how could Panorama stoop so low?

For as long as I remember, this programme has prided itself on its level-headed, impartial reporting. That's what Panorama IS!

But this programme was a mixture of extremely poor journalism, regurgitated old rubbish, self-centered egotism (the 'me, me, me' reporter), inaccurate and biased one-sided content. 0/10 for effort & achievement.

I am more than disappointed as I was still clinging on to the belief that Panorama represents hard-hitting unbiased journalism. This case has opened my eyes (and hopefully this applies to many other people as well).

I grew up under a regime that did not allow free speech and used propaganda extensively to influence the population. Sadly, that is what I am seeing here (and just as crudely executed as under said totalitarian regime).
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

The question is: Why is this massive propaganda operation being employed in this case?
    Baffled and disgusted.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Yes another bizzare part of this tale .Kate Mc Cann would be very very aware of paediatric doses being vital .She would know that a small child could be overdosed very easily and if she had even and tiny doubt in her mind as a doctor her instincts should be to have them tested
    In her book she says she did wonder , she felt their foreheads and had a niggle if they could have been give drugs .Yet she did nothing , in fact she allowed them be moved to another apartment , they stiill never woke and no one thought to get the babies looked at ? Very very bizzare when there were doctors in the group .

the PJ wanted to take blood from the twins to rule out sedation drugs etc but kate refused until 6 month after the "abduction".

Why can KM write a "truthful" book about what really happened but no one can release there version of what according to the PJ happened??? they sue anyone who dont agree with there version of events
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question is: Why is this massive propaganda operation being employed in this case?
    Baffled and disgusted.

Makes me think something is happening and all this whitewash is for a reason, well we know Amaral had all his books returned after winning the case the Mccanns had against him(which the UK press and media "forgot" to mention in all this news oddly enough;)) it could be something to do with that maybe it is going to be published in English, i would buy it as i am sick off our press and media only reporting a one bias side!
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the plot. Kate and Gerry McCann, well paid middle class doctors with a successful happy life suddenly and inexplicably fall behind with their mortage. How can we pay this off, they ask themselves?

Solution: They arrange a family holiday with four other couples in Portugal. They then kill or arrange to have their young daughter killed, (the one they'd spend so long trying to have on IVF) so that they can spend months in the media spotlight and set up a Find Madeleine fund which they then siphon off to pay their extensive debts.

Sound plausible? Yeah, right. God there are a lot of people on here who let their bile and jealousy of hardworking professionals overcome any brains they may have. I think I'll leave this thread now, there doesn't seem to be many people with anything sensible to say. And as for compassion - my god.
    A middle aged, middle class couple are on holiday with friends. They decide not to opt for the babysitting or creche services, despite having the cash to do so, and instead leave the children unattended, in an unlocked apartment, while they go dine the night away in a near by restaurant. They decide to check on them every 15 minutes or so instead. Unbeknownst to them, some awful paedophile has been patiently watching from a distance, hidden in the shadows, watching how often the parents come and go, and decides to go kidnap one of the children. To his surprise the door is already unlocked and waiting for him. There are 3 kids, but he decides only to take the one.

He manages to do all this leaving no evidence behind.

In your own words... sound plausible? Yeah, right.

I believe making a swift exit from this thread is in your best interests. I've been reading this thread from the beginning with interest, and I've seen but one instance of rule breaking. And here's a helpful hint: it came from you. Not a "McCann hater" as you called them, not a conspiracy theorist, you.

Now I'd hate to have to report you and have this thread locked, as us adults are seemingly finding the discussion particularly engaging and interesting, but, if you can't sit up proper like one of the big kids, then I don't think you should be at our table... :)
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Baffled and disgusted.

the way to get the case reopened is 3 ways.

offical ways for this case

1) the mcanns and friends take part in an official police reconstrution.

2) new evidence thats relevant

3) KM to answer 48 questions about the night maddie dissapeared.

sorry for the spelling
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Am I allowed to post a link to the 48 questions that Kate refused to answer?

can you PM me it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    BK. wrote: »
    They decide not to opt for the babysitting or creche services, despite having the cash to do so, and instead leave the children unattended,

i have asked this previously but have they ever given a reason why they didnt use these facilities?
  • NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should the parents not be on every TV channel and shouting from the roof tops for the PJ to open the investigation?

Why are they not doing that today and this week. Strange behaiviour.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BK. wrote: »
    A middle aged, middle class couple are on holiday with friends. They decide not to opt for the babysitting or creche services, despite having the cash to do so, and instead leave the children unattended, in an unlocked apartment, while they go dine the night away in a near by restaurant. They decide to check on them every 15 minutes or so instead. Unbeknownst to them, some awful paedophile has been patiently watching from a distance, hidden in the shadows, watching how often the parents come and go, and decides to go kidnap one of the children. To his surprise the door is already unlocked and waiting for him. There are 3 kids, but he decides only to take the one.

He manages to do all this leaving no evidence behind.

In your own words... sound plausible? Yeah, right.

I believe making a swift exit from this thread is in your best interests. I've been reading this thread from the beginning with interest, and I've seen but one instance of rule breaking. And here's a helpful hint: it came from you. Not a "McCann hater" as you called them, not a conspiracy theorist, you.

Now I'd hate to have to report you and have this thread locked, as us adults are seemingly finding the discussion particularly engaging and interesting, but, if you can't sit up proper like one of the big kids, then I don't think you should be at out table... :)

An abductor is just as plausible as any other theory mentioned in this thread. Anyone could have noticed the pattern of the group leaving the children and then deciding the risk was worth it. I also don't understand how much evidence people think someone could leave if they were in and out in just a few minutes and in a place which was later contaminated by other people. They wouldn't even need gloves just a handkerchief or something to use with the door handles. I've also read that the group booked the restaurant for the whole week with it being known that it was because they wanted to be near enough to leave the children and so that was out in the open too.
This discussion has been closed.