Options

Basmati v Long Grain Rice

littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend acquired a rather large bag of long grain rice. Basmati is the rage these days, so what to do with long grain was the question? I told her to cook it using the same absorption method (the amount of rice to nearly double the water) but to stir in a small knob of butter with normal seasoning before boiling point. Add a few raw onion rings spread about on top just before the tight fitting lid goes on the pot and the heat is turned to absolute minimum for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff up, 5 minutes to rest lid still on.
I am now so used to Basmati for the taste, and long grain does need a little help in comparison.

Comments

• Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both in my cupboard and find them interchangeable for the most part (basmatic is actually a type of long grain). I'd say 20 minutes is far too long, but then I do give my rice a soak before cooking, so the grains are already softened. Adding butter and/or onions? It would depend entirely on how or what I was serving the dish with.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apart from basmati having slighty more fragrance then to me there is no real difference.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    When I do a curry I always use basmati rice its not a chewy as long grain rice.

I tried brown rice once !
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    When I do a curry I always use basmati rice its not a chewy as long grain rice.

I hate that stuff!!!
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both in my cupboard and find them interchangeable for the most part (basmatic is actually a type of long grain). I'd say 20 minutes is far too long, but then I do give my rice a soak before cooking, so the grains are already softened. Adding butter and/or onions? It would depend entirely on how or what I was serving the dish with.
    This

degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apart from basmati having slighty more fragrance then to me there is no real difference.

and this. Basmati is a long grain rice. Is only from the foot hills from the Himalayas
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote: »
    A friend acquired a rather large bag of long grain rice. Basmati is the rage these days, so what to do with long grain was the question? .

You can use long grain rice in an oven - baked dish - we regularly make Gennaro Contaldo's baked rice and pepperonata dish using l.g. rice as called for in the recipe, and it's a family favourite. To make l.g. rice tastier you could drop in a stock cube when boiling it, and you can make it go yellow in colour by sprinkling in some turmeric when its cooking just for a different appearance.
  • Options
    welsh_petewelsh_pete Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »

So did I. Lasted about 5 mins...slurry guts :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    If using the long grain with a curry try dropping in a cardomum pod.

I love red carmargue rice.
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. I've sent my friend this link so she can have a look at what may appeal. Meanwhile, I have been upfront about asking for a few cups from her very large bag, times are hard after all. I have in mind trying out a version of my favourite, a lamb biryani.