Helen Flanagan - is there any end to her stupidity?

12346»

Comments

• SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I certainly don't see women as petty and silly. Far from it. The irony is that I'm 100% all for equality, right across the board

What? I said that those who I accused of saying women are jealous (namely yourself) had sufficiently managed to convince me that this is not what they were saying. Then you asked me, why do I think people still have that perception? I answered misogyny etc. Then you answered the quote above, which is tantamount to admitting that you are one of those people of whom you asked me, why do they still have that perception. Just admit it, you think women are jealous.
    Yeah fair enough. you didn't make that assumption I agree. The better question would have been 'do you think I am a man or a woman'.

You actually said you are a man or wrote in a way that clearly implies you're male.
    The reason I ask is because you said that
    I disagree that you cannot tell the gender of most posters. Even without recalling the post I worte exactly, you've still managed to guess correctly.

My point simply is that there are several ways you can tell the gender of many/most posters (not all), or at least make a more than educated guess, hence the 'baseless' comment is in itself, baseless.

Not at all. No one denies that you can often make a guess at a poster's gender based on the what they write. Not the point. You could be subconsciously assuming someone is female simply because they're criticising a "certain type" of woman (very likely), and/or only noticing when female posters do criticise, while not noticing the male critics, because it confirms your already formed opinion (even more likely).

In addition to people only noticing gender biases that confirm stereotypes they buy into, there is no way of telling how accurate gender guesses are, and no way of quantifying how many female posters as opposed to male are critical of these "certain types" of celeb women. Therefore, it's a wholly unproven and unsupported - ie baseless - assumption of yours.
    There are other ways to tell als of course. Again, I'm, not having a go, just pointing this out.

ps let's test out my theory. I am going to go out on a limb and state I believe that you are female. Am I right? :D

I explicitly stated that I am a female when I first joined this discussion.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Squatch wrote: »
    What? I said that those who I accused of saying women are jealous (namely yourself) had sufficiently managed to convince me that this is not what they were saying. Then you asked me, why do I think people still have that perception? I answered misogyny etc. Then you answered the quote above, which is tantamount to admitting that you are one of those people of whom you asked me, why do they still have that perception. Just admit it, you think women are jealous.
    BIB- a rather disappointing reply. I've already stated I categorically do NOT think all women are jealous if they criticise another woman. Several times. I'd have no qualms about admitting it if I did believe it, but I don't so I can't..
    You actually said you are a man or wrote in a way that clearly implies you're male.
    BINGO! We are in agreement then that you often CAN tell the gender of a poster. In this example, yes I actually stated it. I'm pretty sure others could still have guessed if I hadn't.
    Not at all. No one denies that you can often make a guess at a poster's gender based on the what they write. Not the point. You could be subconsciously assuming someone is female simply because they're criticising a "certain type" of woman (very likely), and/or only noticing when female posters do criticise, while not noticing the male critics, because it confirms your already formed opinion (even more likely).
    Assumption masquerading as fact here I'm afraid. I can assure you that I'm not making baseless assumptions, subconsciously or not. You don't just need a poster to actually post and tell you that they are a man or a woman, to be able to work it out. Not just gender either. Pretty sure you haven't mentioned anything else personal about yourself, so if what you say is true, how could I possibly know you're also an Aquarius, unless I'm some kind of wizard?:D
    In addition to people only noticing gender biases that confirm stereotypes they buy into, there is no way of telling how accurate gender guesses are, and no way of quantifying how many female posters as opposed to male are critical of these "certain types" of celeb women. Therefore, it's a wholly unproven and unsupported - ie baseless - assumption of yours.
    I already said I don't have the stats (and I'm certainly not going to trawl through every thread in DS Showbiz to count(!), it's just my observation. You can only take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure I'd know most of the gender of posters in this thread, without them having posted it.
    I explicitly stated that I am a female when I first joined this discussion.
    I genuinely didn't remember that, but even if I had, the point remains the same- more often than not you can tell.

Again let's test the theory, I would say Lexi, Molly, Prumeister for example are all female. DavetheScott and Jason Watkins are male. What score do I get? :p

If what you say is true, how could I possibly know this (assuming they haven't actually stated their gender in this thread)?
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    BIB- a rather disappointing reply. I've already stated I categorically do NOT think all women are jealous if they criticise another woman. Several times. I'd have no qualms about admitting it if I did believe it, but I don't so I can't..
    BINGO! We are in agreement then that you often CAN tell the gender of a poster. In this example, yes I actually stated it. I'm pretty sure others could still have guessed if I hadn't.

Assumption masquerading as fact here I'm afraid. I can assure you that I'm not making baseless assumptions, subconsciously or not. You don't just need a poster to actually post and tell you that they are a man or a woman, to be able to work it out. Not just gender either. Pretty sure you haven't mentioned anything else personal about yourself, so if what you say is true, how could I possibly know you're also an Aquarius, unless I'm some kind of wizard?:D

I already said I don't have the stats (and I'm certainly not going to trawl through every thread in DS Showbiz to count(!), it's just my observation. You can only take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure I'd know most of the gender of posters in this thread, without them having posted it.
    I genuinely didn't remember that, but even if I had, the point remains the same- more often than not you can tell.

Again let's test the theory, I would say Lexi, Molly, Prumeister for example are all female. DavetheScott and Jason Watkins are male. What score do I get? :p

If what you say is true, how could I possibly know this (assuming they haven't actually stated their gender in this thread)?

As a woman, I can admit to being jealous of Beyoncé for her looks, talent and her happy lifestyle.

However, Helen Flannigan is not someone I could be jealous of in a million years however much money she blags for doing not much at all.

There are limits to jealousy of a celeb and Helen Flannigan is way beneath my limit threshold.
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    As a woman, I can admit to being jealous of Beyoncé for her looks, talent and her happy lifestyle.

However, Helen Flannigan is not someone I could be jealous of in a million years however much money she blags for doing not much at all.

There are limits to jealousy of a celeb and Helen Flannigan is way beneath my limit threshold.

Fair enough gillie, to each their own as it were. As I said before, I kinda wish I hadn't started all this in a thread about Flanagan. (I'm sure a few of you are thinking the same ha ha) :)

As I said. I do NOT think all women who comment on her or others are jealous. My other points remain though.

re Beyonce, I agree, she's got a lot going for her that one!
    Out of interest, would I be correct in assuming you wouldn't hold someone like Rihanna in the same high esteem?
    Forum Member
    Fair enough gillie, to each their own as it were. As I said before, I kinda wish I hadn't started all this in a thread about Flanagan. (I'm sure a few of you are thinking the same ha ha) :)

As I said. I do NOT think all women who comment on her or others are jealous. My other points remain though.

re Beyonce, I agree, she's got a lot going for her that one!
    Out of interest, would I be correct in assuming you wouldn't hold someone like Rihanna in the same high esteem?

I admire Rhiannas talent and her music, but like Miley she went through the stage of growing up in the spotlight and like most young people wants to push against the boundaries, she will settle in time.

I feel Rhianna crossed a dark line after the Chris Brown attack and I feel a certain sympathy for her, am I jealous of her, No, would I like to be her, No, as like Sinead O Connor said, I think she is or has been used by the money men of the music industry and sometimes her bravado looks very close to tears.
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I admire Rhiannas talent and her music, but like Miley she went through the stage of growing up in the spotlight and like most young people wants to push against the boundaries, she will settle in time.

I feel Rhianna crossed a dark line after the Chris Brown attack and I feel a certain sympathy for her, am I jealous of her, No, would I like to be her, No, as like Sinead O Connor said, I think she is or has been used by the money men of the music industry and sometimes her bravado looks very close to tears.

Appreciate your reply. I think all that sounds entirely reasonable, and you make a good point re Miley Cyrus and the money men. (not that I am implying you need anyone's approval, let alone mine I hasten to add!).

As I said in here before, I reckon the vast majority of female posters are perfectly reasoned, normal and objective women, but a minority give rise to others jumping to the conclusion on DS that 'women are jellus'. I'd say that a small, but definitely there subsection of DS give the rest of you a bad name.
    Forum Member
    Appreciate your reply. I think all that sounds entirely reasonable, and you make a good point re Miley Cyrus and the money men. (not that I am implying you need anyone's approval, let alone mine I hasten to add!).

As I said in here before, I reckon the vast majority of female posters are perfectly reasoned, normal and objective women, but a minority give rise to others jumping to the conclusion on DS that 'women are jellus'. I'd say that a small, but definitely there subsection of DS give the rest of you a bad name.

But I would still love to be like Beyoncé, we all can have a dream:)