Should the skeleton have counted?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    it ONLY didnt count because = more drama
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's obvious that this team would be losing come what may once they got that paper skeleton. Had they lost with all items BEFORE that fine the LS might not have fined them. Interestingly had they actually got the "proper" skeleton (the same as the other teams) then both teams would have been more evenly matched in the spend (and fines for lateness and the rope). I knew as soon as the results were read LS would have said "hold on" and subsequently fined them enough to lose.

I can see both sides. We all knew what LS wanted and I suspect so did Felipe but he decided to use his legal knowledge to try and get round it. Any person who watches The Apprentice should know LS makes the rules and if anybody tries to outsmart him he will fire them eventually!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I think it's obvious that this team would be losing come what may once they got that paper skeleton. Had they lost with all items BEFORE that fine the LS might not have fined them. Interestingly had they actually got the "proper" skeleton (the same as the other teams) then both teams would have been more evenly matched in the spend (and fines for lateness and the rope). I knew as soon as the results were read LS would have said "hold on" and subsequently fined them enough to lose.

I can see both sides. We all knew what LS wanted and I suspect so did Felipe but he decided to use his legal knowledge to try and get round it. Any person who watches The Apprentice should know LS makes the rules and if anybody tries to outsmart him he will fire them eventually!

This, they probably also fined the rope just so they'd lose because even with the skeleton fine they would have won
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the it should have counted camp.

It never specifically stated it had to be a full assembled skeleton, they provided exactly what was on the sheet. I think the producers and Lord Sugar were just annoyed that someone managed to outsmart them.

Were it not what LS wanted wouldn't Nick have done a piece of a camera about how it's not right?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It never specifically stated it had to be a full assembled skeleton, they provided exactly what was on the sheet. I think the producers and Lord Sugar were just annoyed that someone managed to outsmart them.

For the same reason I'm in the opposite camp.

The task was not about thinking outside the box, so outsmarting Lord Sugar was simply the wrong strategy. The point was to negotiate a better price than the other team for the same item, not to get an item that was much cheaper because it was significantly different.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auron87 wrote: »
    Was what they supplied full size? No. Was it 180cm tall? No. Was it anatomically accurate? No, also being made out of paper it wouldn't have been even when built.

How was what they supplied valid based on the description?

When constructed it was full size, it was 180cms and it stated on the box that it was anatomically correct and came with with Latin and English labels. So basically, you are flat out wrong on all points. Congratulations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter what the instructions said or didn't say, Sugar is in charge and he has the final word. Whatever you or I think, any issues of fairness, common sense or anything else don't count. He might have decided it was the most fantastic idea in the world and heaped them with praise - they knew that and they took the chance, it didn't pay off.

I also think that they all want Daniel to be there for the interview week so they can rip him totally to shreds - it is an entertainment programme after all. However awful Daniel is - and he truly is - he is providing a lot of comments, controversy and talking points. For water cooler television people need something to get their teeth into and Felipe was always too nice a guy for Sugar to want to go into business with so he had to go.
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Were it not what LS wanted wouldn't Nick have done a piece of a camera about how it's not right?

Totally agree. LS was on twitter last night saying it specified "fully assembled" in the paperwork which we didn't see on camera. I don't believe this. As you say, Nick would have commented to camera that they didn't get the right thing and I don't believe neither Felipe or Daniel wouldn't have noticed this. Felipe would have looked through every single piece of paperwork they were provided with to check he wasn't making a mistake.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a few sheets of paper, of course it shouldnt have counted.
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have been fined for not building it up but still won the task , after all they got all items and arrived back in time .

My theory is lord sugar has picked the winner (Roisin) and he didn't want that team in the boardroom in case she was blamed for time wasting on phone and not going directly to Hatton garden.

To be fair in my opinion as lord sugar said it was the best team effort ever in that task but it didn't help bringing in the legal wording of the item .
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Lord Sugar, I have under my skin and soft tissue a completely-assembled, anatomically-correct, full size skeleton in perfect working order. That's what it said in the instructions so you can't fine me for it. I win, you lose, high fives all round.... Lord Sugar? But... Lord Sugar... well, thank you for the opportunity.

"Taxi!"
  • Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Sugah is a w*nker; of course the skeleton was fine. And the rope too. But the w*nker believes its the Alan Sugah Show and thought that he'd better shove his considerable weight around and make an *rse of himself. He knew, correctly, that everyone would put up with it. Nick and Karren didn't say anything against it: they were too busy playing footsie with Sugah under the table.

When will someone stand up to Sugah? "Sorry, Sugah. A quarter of a million from you is great, but you know what? It's simply not worth taking all of your sh*t anymore!"

"You're fired!"

"And you're an ugly toad with the face of a dog's behind! But tomorrow I'll be working again and you'll still be an ugly toad with the face of a dog's behind!"

Of course it's the Alan Sugar Show. Who is trying to argue otherwise...? His show, his rules. That's why you don't give Alan Sugar a reason to fire you.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is divided into people who understand the actual definition of 'skeleton' - and those who think they do - like Felipe for instance.

What Felipe purchased was not a skeleton. It could have been made into a skeleton, which would have been interesting, especially with hours of footage of a confused looking man scratching his head - or should I say parietal - but it would have been more a farce if it had been accepted.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Whether we agree or not with LS, I think the main point was when he said "It's not what I meant". Well excuse me, you should be more clear in your instructions, you would be quick enough to jump down a contestants throat had they used that excuse. And you're always banging on about be clear and focused etc. Well sorry LS you failed, I now understand how some of his products have made it to market, when he gives instruction like that.

I personally think the other teams diamond purchase should of been scrapped, it was so far under cost as not to be real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have done this - even cheaper and constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yin60FyIQI
  • britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Total fix. LS doesn't ever seem to like when a person has had an education. Not everyone comes in the package named "Del boy"!
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    All he asked was that it was 'fully anatomical', meaning all the parts were there, it did not specify it had to be built. Therefore it should have been accepted.

Had this been a decision they made that won the task, he would have said it was genius. He got outsmarted and he didn't like it.
  • Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    All he asked was that it was 'fully anatomical', meaning all the parts were there, it did not specify it had to be built. Therefore it should have been accepted.

Had this been a decision they made that won the task, he would have said it was genius. He got outsmarted and he didn't like it.

I'm pretty sure it specified "fully built" in their instructions. I will check on iPlayer later.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel_B wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it specified "fully built" in their instructions. I will check on iPlayer later.

If their instructions specified "fully built" then there is no argument and Felipe's skeleton was rightfully rejected. However if it did say that then it would be astonishingly stupid for the entire team to not mention or notice it. I really doubt that their instructions said anything about the item being fully assembled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total fix. LS doesn't ever seem to like when a person has had an education. Not everyone comes in the package named "Del boy"!

Series 1 winner - graduate
    Series 2 winner - non graduate, difficult background, rose through the ranks
    Series 3 winner - privately educated, Cambridge graduate
    Series 4 winner - non graduate, BTEC
    Series 5 winner - non graduate
    Series 6 winner - non graduate, worked for Japanese bank
    Series 7 winner - privately educated, 1st class degree from Bath
    Series 8 winner - graduate from Cardiff
    Series 9 winner - graduate and doctor

So out of nine series five winners are educated to degree level, which goes against your perception of the choices he makes.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see what the controversy is, here - it wasn't a skeleton, it was a model of a skeleton, albeit a full-size one (when assembled), which clearly wasn't what was being asked for (and which everyone knew, of course...)

I personally think it was a reasonably clever out-of-the-box approach, but very high risk bearing in mind it (i.e. a real skeleton) was the most expensive item in the list, so if it was rejected, as turned out to be the case, it was a task-losing decision...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    If their instructions specified "fully built" then there is no argument and Felipe's skeleton was rightfully rejected. However if it did say that then it would be astonishingly stupid for the entire team to not mention or notice it. I really doubt that their instructions said anything about the item being fully assembled.

Agreed. I'd say the one thing we can be fairly sure of is that the skeleton they bought met the brief as written. Felipe was too adamant in the boardroom for it not to be.

They knew, and we know, that it's not the type of skeleton LS actually wanted but whether he should have allowed them to get away with it or not is less clear. Personally, I think he should have acknowledged that his instructions were met and accepted the skeleton, but with some sort of warning not to try and pull a stunt like that again.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I really don't see what the controversy is, here - it wasn't a skeleton, it was a model of a skeleton, albeit a full-size one (when assembled), which clearly wasn't what was being asked for (and which everyone knew, of course...)

I personally think it was a reasonably clever out-of-the-box approach, but very high risk bearing in mind it (i.e. a real skeleton) was the most expensive item in the list, so if it was rejected, as turned out to be the case, it was a task-losing decision...

Just like the plastic one is not a skeleton just a model then!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Had it been James doing this he might have praised James.

LS really HATES lawyers doesn't he? I always thought he was impartial but he made this series a farce.

He hates all lawyers apart from Margaret Mountford of course.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    king_kong2 wrote: »
    This, they probably also fined the rope just so they'd lose because even with the skeleton fine they would have won
    Actually, no. The rope fine cost Tenacity £52 - they lost by £64.62.