The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Europe was just being nice to Australia by giving them points as they were new to the contest?

No.

Didn't do San Marino or Czech Republic many favours when they made their début.
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    I just went shopping with the other half, he's not big on Eurovision so he hates me in May but he was walking round M&S going 'EEEieEOO' :D
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Personally speaking - I feel that any country who's jury consistently put another countries entry last are just as bad as the ones that do the block first place vote.

Some countries had their jury vote invalidated-they'll have been given a slapped wrist, but will they be disqualified from entry.

The Azerbaijan/Armenia votes are a disgrace - are the people saying it's wrong to bring politics into the contest doing anything about it.

I honestly think this may be the last year I actually bother following Eurovision. I don't like the bloated glossy mess its become. 40+ countries becon-and I think the semi finals take the 'mystery' away from the contest-apart from 6 entries (or 7 this year) we know EXACTLY what we will see-it's like the worst trailer ever!!!

I guess the income generated has become more important than the event. And so much of it seems to be geared towards 'manipulation' of the audience, like the worst excesses of any Cowell related tripe.

The fact that Italy won the Televote with a Landslide-yet could never have won due to the Juries IS an issue. Either go back to solely juries or solely televote. This year really shows up the redundancy of the format.

I think for me to find any interest in Eurovision again there needs to be some drastic pruning of countries... either by those who have shown 'tactical voting'... or to change the semi finals into regions a few weeks before the contest-with the stipulation that the staging needs to be different for the contest.

For example:
    Asia: Russia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Turkey, Israel
    The Nordics: Iceland, Norway. Finland, Denmark, Sweden
    UK, Ireland, France, Spain and Portugal
    Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland Czech Republic
    Lativa, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, Belarus
    Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovakia
    Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania Malta
    Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Albania, Bulgaria,

Not an ideal listing by any stretch- but each group picks their favourite TWO from a televised semi final hosted in one of the countries taking part- then an international jury pick a further TWO-18 songs in total for the final, a much more manageable amount)

Also - limit the internet presence of rehersals, etc - stop allowing 'dedicated' websites to become 'press' (their over analysis have definitely skewed opinions before the contest has started) The over saturation has now reached the level where it's negatively impacting the contest itself.

Just my tuppence-and will no doubt be ripped totally apart.

I think the thing that really tee-d me of about this year was the app. so much made about something so utterly blah. Yet-as I wasn't able to watch live last nite due to work, I really appreciated having this on my phone to display, with a little fanfare that SWEDEN WINS! That was a lovely gesture.....>:(

Well-saved me watching it until today at least!!!!

LOL

(ETA-forgot San Marino!!! Was so eager to try enticing back lapsed countries I forgot Valentinas Beckoning Balcony!!!!! Shame on me!)
    Forum Member
    Can't remember if this was mentioned but did Monika and Vaidas enjoy their kiss so much that they missed their next line? :D
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onto the voting now on SBS and I'm looking forward to seeing Viennetta again, shoehorning her three songs into her reading of the votes. :D
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    And it's great we all have different tastes! :cool: I would never thought conty would have loved Belgium so I'm always being surprised. I can usually guess Lisa's faves though ;-)

I have history with Belgium and Wallonia....(see 2013 ;) )

I can't wait for Belgium 2017...:cool:
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Can't remember if this was mentioned but did Monika and Vaidas enjoy their kiss so much that they missed their next line? :D

I was shocked they picked that as their recap too! You really didn't hear any of the song!
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I do love people throwing the 'I'm not watching again' messages. You'll be back next year now. ;-)

edit: Also quite a good post! http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/49-things-you-didnt-see-on-tv-at-the-eurovision-song-contest?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.tyWkdvlVo
    Forum Member
    Conty would have been upfront in a Viking helmet with inflatable broadsword if Jon Henrik had been representing Sweden. It's all about the music. :kitty:

Do you think it could have won Drew...a minimum 3rd (but that's usual for Sweden)...I'd like to think it could have...:D
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    I have history with Belgium and Wallonia....(see 2013 ;) )

I can't wait for Belgium 2017...:cool:

Maybe Flanders will surprise us next year ;-) Actually now you mention it I do recall your voting patterns thread.

Did Peter ever finish the big DS poll this year? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »
    I was shocked they picked that as their recap too! You really didn't hear any of the song!

I never noticed that, poor Vaidika!!! :o
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    And it's great we all have different tastes! :cool: I would never thought conty would have loved Belgium so I'm always being surprised. I can usually guess Lisa's faves though ;-)

Yeah I'm very predictable. Generic/summery/schlager hag/trashy and I'm on it like a tramp on chips! :D

It should've been "ONE KISS! *snog*... and you will see what you missed, woooahhh" but they got that carried away that they missed out "and you will see what you missed." :D
  • Andrea_ParmaAndrea_Parma Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Some former ESC contestants in the jury and how they voted

Roberto Bellarosa 1) Russia 2) Latvia 3) Australia 26) Lithuania

Aram P3 1) Latvia 2) Georgia 3) Greece 26) Azerbajian

Pastora Soler 1) Russia 2 ) Italy 3 ) Sweden 26) Hungary
    Rosa Lopez 1) Belgium 2) Russia 3) Sweden 26) Hungary
    Ruth Lorenzo 1) Belgium 2) Russia 3) Australia 26) Armenia
    Daniel Diges 1) Italy 2) Russia 3) Austria 26) Azerbajan

Ryan Dolan (Ireland 2013) 1) Latvia 2) Russia 3) Australia 27) Armenia

Marie Myriam (France 1977 winner) 1) Australia 2) Belgium 3) Sweden 26) Serbia

Tinkara from Slovenia 1) Belgium 2) Latvia 3) Sweden 26) Albania

Ovi (sans Paula) 1) Norway 2) Sweden 3) Belgium 26) Albania

Adelaide Ferreira (Portugal 1985) 1) Norway 2) Sweden 3) Romania 27) Lithuania
    Inês Santos (Portugal 1998) 1) Israel 2) Norway 3) Sweden 27) Hungary

Sophie Gelovani : 1) Lithuania 2) Armenia 3) Sweden 26) Poland
    Nodi Tatishvili 1) Sweden 2) Italy 3) Armenia 26) Slovenia

Margaret Berger 1) Sweden 2) Australia 3) Latvia 26) Albania

Birgitta Haukdal 1) Norway 2) Italy 3) Sweden 27) UK

Donatan (Poland 2014) 1) Russia 2) Latvia 3) Israel 26) Serbia

Dina Garipova 1) Sweden 2) Belgium 3) Italy 26) Israel

Gabri from Simplus 1) Norway 2) Latvia 3) Sweden 26) Albania
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love people throwing the 'I'm not watching again' messages. You'll be back next year now. ;-)

Personally, I have lived 15 years without watching Eurovision, cos Italy had pulled out and it wasn't shown on tv here. I can easily go back to living without it, if things continue to be this way.
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very predictable. Generic/summery/schlager hag/trashy and I'm on it like a tramp on chips! :D

It should've been "ONE KISS! *snog*... and you will see what you missed, woooahhh" but they got that carried away that they missed out "and you will see what you missed." :D

Let's pray for trashy hags next year, they were all far too clean cut this year :D

And Birgitta's last place is funny!! :D

Donatan can do one >:(
    Forum Member
    Some former ESC contestants in the jury and how they voted

Roberto Bellarosa 1) Russia 2) Latvia 3) Australia 26) Lithuania

Aram P3 1) Latvia 2) Georgia 3) Greece 26) Azerbajian

Pastora Soler 1) Russia 2 ) Italy 3 ) Sweden 26) Hungary
    Rosa Lopez 1) Belgium 2) Russia 3) Sweden 26) Hungary
    Ruth Lorenzo 1) Belgium 2) Russia 3) Australia 26) Armenia
    Daniel Diges 1) Italy 2) Russia 3) Austria 26) Azerbajan

Ryan Dolan (Ireland 2013) 1) Latvia 2) Russia 3) Australia 27) Armenia

Marie Myriam (France 1977 winner) 1) Australia 2) Belgium 3) Sweden 26) Serbia

Tinkara from Slovenia 1) Belgium 2) Latvia 3) Sweden 26) Albania

Ovi (sans Paula) 1) Norway 2) Sweden 3) Belgium 26) Albania

Adelaide Ferreira (Portugal 1985) 1) Norway 2) Sweden 3) Romania 27) Lithuania
    Inês Santos (Portugal 1998) 1) Israel 2) Norway 3) Sweden 27) Hungary

Sophie Gelovani : 1) Lithuania 2) Armenia 3) Sweden 26) Poland
    Nodi Tatishvili 1) Sweden 2) Italy 3) Armenia 26) Slovenia

Margaret Berger 1) Sweden 2) Australia 3) Latvia 26) Albania

Birgitta Haukdal 1) Norway 2) Italy 3) Sweden 27) UK

Donatan (Poland 2014) 1) Russia 2) Latvia 3) Israel 26) Serbia

Dina Garipova 1) Sweden 2) Belgium 3) Italy 26) Israel

Gabri from Simplus 1) Norway 2) Latvia 3) Sweden 26) Albania

Wow! Andrea thanks for that -- fascinating! Some of them should stick to their day jobs though! :D
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    On the subject of Spain, I always knew it was going to flop.

It seems like every year the Spanish entry is revealed fans go crazy over it and hype it up to be one of the best things ever, I admit I loved both Pastora and Ruth's entries so I may be a bit guilty of it myself.

But inevitably it is just never going to do well with the general public and they naturally flop, although 10th for Pastora and Ruth shouldn't really be seen as a flop.

One more thing on the juries, I think what may have cost Italy was them being told to vote on hit potential, I never agreed with that rule, why should the winner be the one that sounds like it would get to number 1 in the charts, doesn't make it the best song. And the televoters didn't go with the song that had the most hit potential according to the juries.

Maybe if they were not directed on how to vote and just simply voted on what they felt was the best song we would have seen Italy win, guess we will never know because none of the jury members have to provide reasoning for why they scored like they did.

This is something that was introduced this year wasn't? Well I think they need to abandon it immediately. I mean, they should vote on what they think is the best song, not what they think others will like.

I wasn't a fan of the Italian song, but something about them only finishing 3rd when they stormed the public vote doesn't sit right with me. I mean, it'd have been fair enough with, say, the Russian grannies, but regardless of my own personal opinion, the Italian song was a credible entry. And I think it's totally wrong that Sweden topped the jury vote in the manner they did, I mean, they must have been voting on the hit potential thing? If anything I thought they juries would see Sweden as a bit gimmicky. I don't know.
    Forum Member
    Conty, did you prefer Bobby Bellarosa or Little Loic?
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member

At no point did I say i wasn't going to watch again... I just have no intention of actively following.

Not because the UK did poorly ( I like the song-but it really wasn't great compared to others)

Not because of the winner (although Italians do have reason to complain!!!)

Not even because of the block voting (but the AZ/AR jury scores are a disgrace... yet again!!!)

I just don't enjoy the bloated mess it has become-and the fact that there are too many participants, dragging it out into a nearly 4 hour mess that produces no surprises any more. How many of us 'knew' when to plan toilet breaks in advance!!!!

LOL!

I admire the intention in 2013 to scale it back a bit-unfortunately 2014 went totally opposite to that intent, and last night was a bit of a charm free shambles (Love Conchita, but this week has proven the difference between her and many other DQs-she's a bit all style and no substance... there was no discernible personality on on show.... :cry:
    Forum Member
    Conty, did you prefer Bobby Bellarosa or Little Loic?

:o

I can't answer that...

Just because Bobby didn't do as well as Loic. I'll go for Bobby. :cool: I like to think Booby help blaze the trail for Loic..:D (well after Axel dumped on it that is! >:()
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the Barbara Dex award should go to Barbara Schoneberger. That was one hell of an outfit and hairdo she was sporting whilst "Hamburg ist flipping out!":D
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at the split results for the Final, I've gotta say I prefer the overall jury ranking to the televote one.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed we got 25 minutes to televote last night - isn't it usually 15?
    Forum Member
    Can I just say NORWAY! My god I loved them. Such a sincere performance (I'm a sucker for that)...I really wanted them to do better but they did get a top 10...
    Forum Member
    stanld03 wrote: »
    After looking at the split results for the Final, I've gotta say I prefer the overall jury ranking to the televote one.

Me too, much prefer the jury rank, as I did in 2012.

I thought the juries would like Norway better.
This discussion has been closed.