Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Why do the self service checkouts always give change in the smallest denominations?
    Spent £1.35, so wasn't worth using the card.
    Put in £1.50, expecting change of 10p + 5p
    Instead it spat out 5p + 5p + 2p + 2p + 1p
    WHY?
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    Why do the self service checkouts always give change in the smallest denominations?
    maybe cos some people like to make an event of using such a tile and dump a years worth of small change when buying this weeks TV Guide. :p:blush:
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people take these iOS simulation games (notably Hay Day) seriously and they spend ages talking about how so and so isn't helping with some daily competition because of a petty falling out.>:(
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who lament the fact that their children don't know about or understand things that were commonplace when they (the parents) were young.

"My kids have never even seen a record player"
    or
    "My kids wouldn't know what an old rotary phone was if they saw one."

If they don't know what these things are then it's your fault. It's your job to teach them these things. Kids are sponges, they love learning about stuff even if it's old.
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Spelling disgusting "discusting" - I have seen it loads lately.

Saying things like "more busier, more hungrier, more tireder"
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    maybe cos some people like to make an event of using such a tile and dump a years worth of small change when buying this weeks TV Guide. :p:blush:

I do this, I also let my 3 year old scan and then put all of my shrapnel change in when paying :blush: it does take longer, but it's one of his favourite things to "help" with and I never do it when the shop is busy I'm not that much of a knob :D
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piazza wrote: »
    It was inevitable ;-)

:D What a mistake!! My only defence is I was tipsy on Champagne during my last but one day of freedom before starting work on Monday! Which is no defence, honestly cannot believe I did that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    I do this, I also let my 3 year old scan and then put all of my shrapnel change in when paying :blush: it does take longer, but it's one of his favourite things to "help" with and I never do it when the shop is busy I'm not that much of a knob :D
    yeah I'm about 3yo too. :blush:
    What's even better is putting £2 > than is required and being given a £2 coin as change - I love those things.
    What I used to do was use those chocolate machines to get rid of all me pennies, then sit nearby for the next person to come along with their £5 note and enjoy their frustration when they receive their change made up of ~a thousand pennies. :D (I am that much of a knob)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those lists going on about 'how we managed in the 70s' etc. In fact, 'everything was better back then' attitudes in general.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Child-proof caps on disinfectant bottles.
    Brilliant for stopping nippers getting to the stuff, I know, but having no joy with one earlier, I had to cut the top off with a knife and rendered it useless anyway.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Those lists going on about 'how we managed in the 70s' etc. In fact, 'everything was better back then' attitudes in general.

That does drive me up a wall. I must admit I sometimes wondered if I lived in a different reality. Many remembered the 1970s as a golden era whereas I remember it as an era of discord.

Seriously though, every era has its merits and flaws. Nothing is ever 'everything was better back then'. Depends on perspective, doesn't it? I think the last two decades are better than before because until the 1990s, the majority in this country was still too timid to challenge doctors, teachers, politicians, the police and anyone in authority.

It used to drive me up a wall when a childhood friend's parents accepted one teacher's word that their son was an idiot and a lost cause. We all knew their son was dyslexic, but the teacher dismissed this as an excuse. And the parents accepted it because you know, he was a teacher. He knew what he was talking about, apparently.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being charged the same for less.

At work, they're doing nice sausages or chicken pie. No good for a vegetarian so I just got the sides of chips and peas.

I got charged the same as I would if I'd got the sausage or pie as well. I was told I had extra chips. This would be well and good if I had but I knew I hadn't because I was served by the stingy member of the cafe team who always scrimps on portions >: (
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Being charged the same for less.

At work, they're doing nice sausages or chicken pie. No good for a vegetarian so I just got the sides of chips and peas.

I got charged the same as I would if I'd got the sausage or pie as well. This would be well and good if I had but I knew I hadn't because I was served by the stingy member of the cafe team who always scrimps on portions >: (

Vegetarians always come off worse when it's a set menu too - I'm going for a meal with a group of friends tomorrow night and it's a set 2 course menu for £24. How can they justify charging me that for mushroom risotto (the only vegetarian option) when there's sea bass and steak on the same menu?! Complete rip off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saying things like "more busier, more hungrier, more tireder"[/QUOTE]

Just sounds so thick, doesn't it.

Additionally, the latest (obviously American) trend for adding 'ness' to a word when there is already a perfectly good word in existence already. I heard someone on TV the other day say originalness - what's wrong with 'originality'?! There are loads more examples but I've eradicated them from my mind, they annoy me so much!

Also, people who mispronounce words - ospical instead of hospital; keckle instead of kettle; the list goes on and on...! How difficult is it to pronounce the letter 't' - Jonathan Ross has a speech impediment but it doesn't stop him pronouncing 'r' (or trying to). So lazy!
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »

Saying things like "more busier, more hungrier, more tireder"[/QUOTE]

Just sounds so thick, doesn't it.

Additionally, the latest (obviously American) trend for adding 'ness' to a word when there is already a perfectly good word in existence already. I heard someone on TV the other day say originalness - what's wrong with 'originality'?! There are loads more examples but I've eradicated them from my mind, they annoy me so much!

Also, people who mispronounce words - ospical instead of hospital; keckle instead of kettle; the list goes on and on...! How difficult is it to pronounce the letter 't' - Jonathan Ross has a speech impediment but it doesn't stop him pronouncing 'r' (or trying to). So lazy!

You've just made me chuckle with that, reminded me of a long time ago...

During GCSE English class at college the tutor asked the question "do you know what ambivalence is?" and my pal shot back "that's what they take you to hospikal in" we laughed like demented muppets the rest of class.

Actually, the silver lining of failing GCSE English first time round and retaking it is that we spent a lot of time laughing like demented muppets, was a good crowd in the dunces room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Receiving 2 somethings thru the post because the first order must've slipped my mind and I'd ordered it again. Am only down £2.25 but it is still annoying. Fingers crossed Starfire #1 ends up being super valuable in the near future. But in all likelihood it'll turn out to be a crappy read so this'll be a £4.50 waste of money, dammit.

And before someone recommends I keep a record of what I order ( plus when I order it, how much it costs and the id number), I do do that. I've 15 detailed entries in my diary precisely to stop this double dipping from ever happening. Trouble is I made 16 orders. >:(
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adverts, currently.

On the TV goes, and unless it's the Beeb, without fail it'll be an advert break.

I switch off and go away, I come back, switch on, advert break. Go out the room, come back, advert break. Go to work, come home, adverts. I always hit the advert breaks. I must have skillz for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Adverts, currently.

On the TV goes, and unless it's the Beeb, without fail it'll be an advert break.

I switch off and go away, I come back, switch on, advert break. Go out the room, come back, advert break. Go to work, come home, adverts. I always hit the advert breaks. I must have skillz for it.
    The amount of shows I've just stopped watching as soon as the first ad break comes on is incredible.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a show I've recorded, but only remembering towards the end of it that it is actually recorded and I could've skipped past the adverts, which is why I recorded it in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Likewise, watching a film on the TV and putting up with adverts even though you have it on DVD / Blu-Ray
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That does drive me up a wall. I must admit I sometimes wondered if I lived in a different reality. Many remembered the 1970s as a golden era whereas I remember it as an era of discord.

Seriously though, every era has its merits and flaws. Nothing is ever 'everything was better back then'. Depends on perspective, doesn't it? I think the last two decades are better than before because until the 1990s, the majority in this country was still too timid to challenge doctors, teachers, politicians, the police and anyone in authority.

It used to drive me up a wall when a childhood friend's parents accepted one teacher's word that their son was an idiot and a lost cause. We all knew their son was dyslexic, but the teacher dismissed this as an excuse. And the parents accepted it because you know, he was a teacher. He knew what he was talking about, apparently.
    Yes, completely. As well as 3 day weeks, strikes, terrorism, discrimination and prejudice, lack of technology etc, we all know that our parents used to say the same things about music, football, films etc so why do people think they're right in their own case? You were just young then!

I agree about the deference culture, too.
    Vegetarians always come off worse when it's a set menu too - I'm going for a meal with a group of friends tomorrow night and it's a set 2 course menu for £24. How can they justify charging me that for mushroom risotto (the only vegetarian option) when there's sea bass and steak on the same menu?! Complete rip off.
    Yes, completely agree. Vegetarian options often lack imagination and you pay a fortune for stuff like linguini with roasted vegetables or something.

And, currently, my cursor keeps sticking. Grrrrr.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those annoying mandatory adverts on Youtube that last 30 seconds with NO option to skip the ad after 5 secs. They often have little relevance to the video your gonna watch.

I can just imagine how YT sells these advert spaces to companies say "You can have the standard option but the viewer can skip it after 5 secs or the premium one where the viewer is Compelled to watch the ad for 30 secs and can't skip it"

Thats YT treating its viewers like naughty children!
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Can someone please give me some 'advise'

'advice' me on the following...
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I hate more than any other thing is when people write "must of", "should of" etc instead of "must have", "should have".

Why do they do this? How can I stop them? Will it eventually drive me insane?

I've even started threads about it before today. I've been stigmatised on here as a grammar Nazi when I've corrected people. (Actually I see grammar Nazi as a compliment, so I don't mind that).

The mods should immediately ban anyone who perpetrates this abomination.

they write it because that's how they say it. When they do say it, you realise that that's how they;ll write it. It sounds thick, too.

It annoys the hell out of me, too
  • PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D What a mistake!! My only defence is I was tipsy on Champagne during my last but one day of freedom before starting work on Monday! Which is no defence, honestly cannot believe I did that!

Don't worry, we've all fallen foul of Muphry's Law at some point!
This discussion has been closed.