Escape from ISIS -Channel 4 10pm

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone else watching this?

It's a very disturbing insight into life under ISIS.

Comments

• birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding this very difficult to watch.

I watch the news everyday, read news articles on line, but I was not prepared for this, it is extremely upsetting.

I cannot understand how human beings can become like them. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Lips wrote: »
    Is anyone else watching this?

It's a very disturbing insight into life under ISIS.

Incredibly disturbing. It's hard to believe all this is going on in the world we live in.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Cannot understand who in their right mind could support these. Very sad, and upsetting. Cant believe they have territory the size of britain. Why did we sit back and do nothing
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh crap, this is just too much, utterly incomprehensible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to the Yazidi lady talking about how other girls have committed suiicide to escape their ordeal. Makes you feel completely despondent .
  • Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Knew this programme was on, This is just as bad as I imagined. The Yazidis peacefully lived free under Saddam Hussein.
    I hate feeling this impotent about it.
    A 94 year old got jailed over ww2 atrocities today, maybe that was right maybe wrong, YET THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, just one brave lawyer trying his best, he is an angel on earth. Shames any of us who live in 'civilised nations'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great seeing the 34 girls and women escaping successfully.

Sad hearing the very elderly lady saying that ISIS don't differentiate between the young and old and how she was taken as a sex slave and was forced to donate blood.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll be traumatised for years.

ISIS have no regard for women young or old, even their own - forcing them to be covered up head to toe.
    They must really must hate them.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I am in sickened belief that the dad led his daughter to the stoning and then joined in I felt physically sick
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in sickened belief that the dad led his daughter to the stoning and then joined in I felt physically sick

So did I. That was one of the most sickening things I've ever watched. These people are beyond vile, there are no words to adequately describe them.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so so sad , what is wrong with these people ? Its happening in our world and I feel useless and helpless
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great to see the women get out of those black robes.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I switched off at that . What father does that ? A coward , a despicable runt of a human being .
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew this programme was on, This is just as bad as I imagined. The Yazidis peacefully lived free under Saddam Hussein.
    I hate feeling this impotent about it.
    A 94 year old got jailed over ww2 atrocities today, maybe that was right maybe wrong, YET THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, just one brave lawyer trying his best, he is an angel on earth. Shames any of us who live in 'civilised nations'.

Yeah life under Saddam sounded a right barrel of laughs.....
  • Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member

Yeah it was wrong of me not to clarify for the obtuse like you.
    so Yazidis under Saddam and Yazidis under ISIS. That's the comparison. A transition that our great nation's politicians and army helped in achieving.
    Concentrate hard....Yep that's it, how good did that feel?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An argument is often thrown around that sometimes you need an 'iron fist' in order to maintain any kind of democracy in these powder keg Arab states. Even with a despot like Saddam
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it was wrong of me not to clarify for the obtuse like you.
    so Yazidis under Saddam and Yazidis under ISIS. That's the comparison. A transition that our great nation's politicians and army helped in achieving.
    Concentrate hard....Yep that's it, how good did that feel?
    However, the Yazidis had to fear for their lives and safety during Hussein’s reign.

The religious sect was a casualty of Hussein’s devastating campaign against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, which included a poison gas attack that murdered thousands of women and children in 1988. Iraqi forces destroyed about 100 Yazidi villages during the campaign, the New York Times reported in 1993.

“About 10,000 Yazidi men died fighting for Iraq in the eight-year war with Iran,” the Times reported at the time. “And several hundred Yazidis disappeared at the hands of the Iraqi secret police during the last 15 years.”

About 150,000 Yazidis in areas controlled by the government were cut off from their group’s ancient shrine in the northern Lalish Valley after the campaign against the Kurds.

Michael Rubin, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) and a former Pentagon adviser on Iran and Iraq during the George W. Bush administration, said in an email that the Yazidis, as part of the Kurdish minority, “were subject to Saddam Hussein’s genocidal campaign.”

“People forget that Saddam Hussein was an ethnic and sectarian chauvinist,” he said. “Life might have been good if you were from Saddam’s tribe or more broadly a Sunni Arab nationalist, but if you were a Kurd or a Shi‘ite, forget about it.”

Yeah that Saddam was just a big cuddly genocide loving teddy bear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was bad although the father would probably have had his head chopped off if he didn't do it. It was sickening that the woman watching it was saying the stoning 'rules' were broken not that the stoning was disgusting.
  • willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very hard to watch.

Well done to those men going to get them back. Especially the guide, who, after they had got people across, was filmed walking back in.
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    My mouth hasn't hit the floor and stopped there for an hour like that ever!!! Very shocking viewing but something I would recommend anyone watches as words cannot explain it,

The fact most of it goes off in towns just hit it home there is no way I could cope with that if it happened in the town I lived in
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched this and like you all I was disgusted at what I saw.

Im not sure what you could call these individuals. They are not human and you cant insult animals by calling them that. Seeing video footage just goes to show that they are just a group of thugs making up rules as they go along and using women for their own pleasure.

I don't know why I was shocked about the father stoning his daughter as this goes on in the muslim world but it just shows how muslim men view their women. Im just glad I was born in the west.

Its a pity that there are so many innocent people in Raqqa as it should be bombed to extinction with those low lifes and their followers (yes including the ones from Britain).

Those men carrying out the rescues were real heroes who put their lives on the line to rescue the women from those barbarians.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halil ? the rescuer was an absolute hero , but what help are we giving him and his group ?
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Halil ? the rescuer was an absolute hero , but what help are we giving him and his group ?

Youre right Tony, him and his group are the sort we should be working with. However, I suspect there is a lot going on that we don't know about.
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow32 wrote: »
    Very hard to watch.

Well done to those men going to get them back. Especially the guide, who, after they had got people across, was filmed walking back in.

How poignant was that? Such decent, brave men. Khaleel and his colleagues are nothing short of heroic.

A harder watch than I had expected. Amal, 18 suffering multiple rape and yes the stoning - heartbreaking that the father felt the necessity to join in. Though I agree as said, Moona criticising the 'rules' of stoning being broken rather than the act itself was beyond belief.

Will keep this recording for a while, may need to watch again to see what I missed. The optimism of the guy with the laptop, beard and serious cigarette habit saying one day the dark will go and all will be light again - paraphrasing - is truly amazing. We can only hope he is right.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a very interesting watch. I'm sure we only got the tip of the iceberg though. At least some of the women got out, can't believe how many are still in there. Probably the main reason they don't bomb Raqqa