Clear skin?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi :) I'm sure I'm not the first to make a thread on this topic but I couldn't find any others so I thought I'd start my own...

My skins driving me mad. I've got acne, blackhead and it's also quite greasy. I eat a pretty balanced diet and waters the only thing I drink, besides alcohol occasionally. I'd really appreciate it if anybody could recommend things that have worked for them, as I'm willing to give any advice a go. Products, homemade treatments, ANYTHING.

Thank you :D

Comments

• Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zits Begone

Clearsil is on offer at the moment at Boots, last time I used the stuff it did help my equally dodgy skin, scrubs with microbeads clear blackheads out well.

At the moment I have on a Botanics Clay Mask and look like Rambo, first time I have tried this type of thing so I'll let you know whether it was worth the cash.:)
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go see a proper dermatologist if you have acne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a skincare routine at the moment?
    I have greasy skin with blackheads, and used to use clinique, which seemed to stop being so good... now I use an oil cleanser (Recommended by the good folk of digital spy...) and my skins really cleared up. It seems strange using an oil on oily skin, but its done mine a treat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try steaming your face to help remove impurities.
    I'll probably get shot down for this, but sensible tanning can help with many minor skin complaints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got acne, and i've tried two combinations of prescribed tablets and creams, but its not made a bit of difference.:(

Good luck though, but my advice is if you do try all the suggestions on here, and they dont work, go to the Gps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how much it will help with acne, but I'd really recommend getting skincare from the shop Lush. Bad skin runs in my family but I've used Lush skincare products for ages and it's totally fantastic. I used to use skincare by YSL and Dermalogica by the stuff from Lush is much better and cheaper. (Of course, cheaper is relative. For most people, the stuff from Lush would be pretty dear.)

If you can afford it, professional facials are heavenly. They are expensive though. Steaming your face should help with blackheads. I don't know what your current skincare regime is, but just cleansing your skin isn't enough. You should tone and moisturise too. You could go the your GP and he/she could refer to a dermatologist. A friend of mine had pretty bad acne but it cleared up very nicely after she starting using whatever the dermatologist pescribed her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses everybody, I'll check everything you've all said out.

I've been to a dermatologist and the tablets they gave me had great results but I think I eventually became immune to them.The doctor advised me to come off them for a while, which I did, then go back on them, but they just don't seem to have an effect anymore. The doctor won't give me anything else.

I use a cleanser, toner and moisteriser twice a day, and an exfoiliator three times a week but my skins probably at the worst it's ever been lately. Thanks again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havnt suffered from acne, but for me, getting into a routine was the first step... What products do you use now?
    As I mentioned, I used clinique for years, and it meant that I knew what was wrong with my skin... Baby wipes make my skin feel really congested, but the oil seems to lift the excess oil on my face, without leaving it feeling too tight or dry.

If it was me, I'd try to sort out the problems individually... ie sort out blackheads first - You could steam your face, and try those biore pore-strips... See if doing that on a regular basis makes the blackheads any better. Then try to sort out the oiliness... for me, thats the oil cleanser, but you may have to try a few different types of cleanser to sort out which works best for you.

My skin is less greasy since using the oil cleanser, and I dont get dry patches anymore (I started getting them using clinique - oily skin AND dry patches - nightmare!), although I do still get the occasional spot. But I'm happy with that really!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recommend Dermalogica especially their range for acne prone skin. It's a little expensive but worth it. If not, try a cleanser with salicylic acid in it and don't use a toner with alcohol in it as irritates the skin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with threads like this is that everyones skin is different, so you will get so many different answers!! I know that from experience - I have spent an absolute fortune on the latest "thing", and on what I would hope to be my miracle product, and they never are!

The best advice I could give you is to treat your skin gently! I've always had really good skin, all through my teens and early 20s. Over the past year, all of a sudden it has gone horrible, I dont know why. I have tried all sorts, from expensive (dermalogica) and all the cheap normal "spot" brands, such as clearasil etc. And my skin just got worse and worse and worse! All the ingredients in those sorts of products are so harsh, it was just sending my skin into overdrive, and drying it out whilst at the same time making me breakout more.

So just dont try too much at once!! I always look at my boyfriends skin - he does NOTHING to it and its perfect. I'm spending all this time and money on mine and it looks like cr.p! As I wear makeup, I obviously do need to cleanse it, but it just doesnt have to be so harsh. And thats why natural ideas like the oil method mentionined above can be so good.

So I'm binning most of my stuff now, I was trying to use up my dermalogica because it cost so much, and then I thought why if its not doing anything except clogging my skin?

I have just started using soap and glory products, and the main product I use isnt specifically for spotty skin. The transformation in my skin is astonishing. I have no new spots, and the ones I have are rapidly disappearing, and just look less angry! I am using Clean Mary cleansr twice a day, and my face feels fab. I have also used the fab pore peel twice, which I also like. After having such good results with these, I've also just bought the hot cloth cleanser which I have heard great things about.

I use a gentler toner with no alcohol in it (Botanics pore perfecting) and then an oil free moisturiser which does still have salycylic (sp) in it (Boots skin clear oil mattifying). Both of these have fab reviews if you google (as do the soap and glory ones). Before I was using the salycylic acid in everything - cleanser, toner, moisturiser, scrub - its too much for your skin to take, to use an entire regime from a range aimed at spots!

Ummm anyway I will hush up now :) good luck finding something which likes your skin - but above all, just be kind to it! Dont load it up with harsh products :)

EDIT: sorry, one last thing :o what exfoliator are you using? The really grainy ones are too much for your skin if you have spots, and apparently spread the bacteria around, and can actually make it worse.

And one more last thing! steaming is great for your face, another reason why the oil cleansing method is loved by so many people, and I have also heard great things about lush products :)
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    I would go back to your doctor and ask to see the dermatologist again to see if Roaccutane would be a viable option. I was prescribed this via the hospital for my adult nodular acne which was not shifting despite three years of treatment with antibiotics and topical treatments and was getting steadily worse.

I was on Roaccutane for nine months - it's not for everyone and can take an incredible toll on your body both physically and mentally but it not only stopped the spots but I have literally went from being plauged to never having a spot again. I had my first pimple in nearly two years due to my time of the month which was quite a shock to the system to say the least but it disappeared within a few days. I tried everything under the sun which would work for a bit then they would come back. Lush and Dermalogica were the best I found but they didn't stop the nodular acne (which is due to a hormonal imbalance), just pimples and spots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I've personally found the stuff which is for spots to make it worse like Neutrogena etc but maybe that's just cos I have very sensitive skin so I've kind of given up trying to treat it as such and just keeping my skin clean with a sensitive skin mild face wash which actually has helped, my skin is much better off and is becoming quite clear just got some problems with a couple of scars.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always found that stuff like Neutrogena, Clearasil, exfoliators, face washes etc, actually make my skin worse. The skin on my face can't even tolerate supposedly hypoallergenic soap.

I went to the doc and got prescibed a cream called Duac Once Daily. Within a week and a half my face, which had been covered in little spots and rashes, was perfectly clear. Now I have people complementing me all the time and rubbing my cheek to feel how smooth it is. I don't wear make-up and I didn't change my diet. I wash my face in the morning with water, and in the evening with water, and then apply Duac Once Daily afterwards. If you do that though, you can't miss one single nightly treatment.

I don't have any side-effects, though! I was on a pill for it and had loads of side effects, so the cream is perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone :)

At the moment I'm using:

Superdrugs Tea Tree Foaming Face Wash
    Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Exfoliator
    Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Cleansing and Toning Lotion

I also use Nivea moisturiser, a Neutrogena face mask and usually put things such as tea tree oil and sudocrem on spots. I'll consider what everybodys said the next time I go to the shops :)
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just started taking loads of Vit C (2000mg ) per day and my skin seems pretty clear now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RockStars wrote: »
    Thank you everyone :)

At the moment I'm using:

Superdrugs Tea Tree Foaming Face Wash
    Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Exfoliator
    Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Cleansing and Toning Lotion

I also use Nivea moisturiser, a Neutrogena face mask and usually put things such as tea tree oil and sudocrem on spots. I'll consider what everybodys said the next time I go to the shops :)

That's a hell of a lot of products. Have you tried going completely without any products?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    That's a hell of a lot of products. Have you tried going completely without any products?

I only use the Neutrogena mask once a week, although that doesn't make it any better :o

To be honest, I'm not brave enough to go entirely without products. My skin seems to look worse if I go just one night without using them - although that might just be me being paranoid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RockStars wrote: »
    I only use the Neutrogena mask once a week, although that doesn't make it any better :o

To be honest, I'm not brave enough to go entirely without products. My skin seems to look worse if I go just one night without using them - although that might just be me being paranoid!

If thats your regime twice a day, I would consider some of the following:-

Only using the toner once a day max (I use mine in the evening because I'll have taken my make up off so therefore my skin is more dirty). I'd also switch to just a toner, rather than a cleanser and toner, because if you use that after a face wash - thats cleaning your face twice which is too much. I'd also use one which is alcohol free - alcohol is way too drying to use on the face.

Only using an exfoliator occasionally - twice a week max if you have spots - it just aggravates your skin.

Use a face wash for blemished skin OR a moisturiser for blemished skin - not both. Then pick gentle versions of the other - so a tea tree wash, but vitamin e moisturiser etc. Like I and quite a few others said, the skincare designed for spots is just far too harsh to use on a daily basis, especially an entire range.

Dont overload your skin with tea tree and sudocrem, I know its hard not to go OTT, but it doesnt do any good.

Your skin will get oiler because it sounds like you are drying it out - it might look oiler the first or second time you change your regime, but it should help overall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing I've found for problem skin is a brand called Dr. Hauschka. They do a clensing milk and a cleansing cream, as well as different toners and moisturisers, which are all organic. Its quite pricey but if you go on ebay you can sometimes get a good deal. I've also found palmers cocoa butter swivel stick quite useful for getting rid of scars left behind by spots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I went a little OTT on the Clinique Anti Blemish range, and fortunately it seems to have worked!

I was a little dubious at first, but i forked out the money anyway and it does seem to have worked. I've got the anti blemish 3 Step system, as well as the anti blemish concealer and foundation.

Whether it's a combination of all of these together or one or the other, they really seem to do the trick. I do get the odd spot every now and again, but nothing compared to what i used to. And the ones i do get clear up much quicker than before.

And i think the foundation is fab too just as normal make up, irregardless of the spot fighting abilities!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I have had bad skin, moderate/cystic acne for over 20 years. My complexion is now scarred and I have a lot of pigmentation.

I have tried many different antibiotics,herbal remedies, chinese medicine, vitamins, minerals, Zeno, all the over the counter 'miracle' topical treatments, prescription creams, gels etc. I used Quinoderm for a long time which is really good but burns the skin.
    For years I have used skin products specifically for oily skin and must have spent thousands of pounds.

For acne that is so persistant - the only cure is Roaccutane. When I lived in UK, my doctor would not prescribe it for me as it really is the last resort when all other options have failed.
    I moved to Cyprus 6 years ago and struggled on trying to control my skin to no avail.

Finally, a month ago I thought enough is enough, I'm 41 and should not have to suffer this any longer.My lovely doctor here prescribed Roaccutane, or Isotretinoin as it sometimes known as.

It has some quite serious side effects and I have to have regular blood tests and check ups. It is normal for acne to get worse for a while but already my skin is not producing the buckets of oil is used to and generally my skin tone is much improved. The only side effects I have had (out of a long list of potential ones) is very dry lips and dry skin on my arms and legs.

Today my doctor told me I am doing very well.

My point is that the reason for persistant acne is overactivity of the sebaceous glands and it needs to be treated from the inside. One or two hormonal pimples can be controlled by a good skin care routine. Cysts the size of a 10p piece can't.

RockStars, go back to your doctor or see a different one at your practise or go private to a dermatologist.

Acne should not be brushed off like it is nothing. It is seriously damaging not just to your skin but also to your self esteem. There are many antibiotics in the 'cycline' family that you can try. Also the contraceptive pill Dianette if you are a girl.
    When all else has failed you need to ask for Roaccutane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful with Dianette. It gave me persistant migraines. Don't hesitate to take it, but stop if you do get migraines.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throughout my 20's my skin was god damn awful.. I really was one of those people who looked awful without make up. Then my Mum introduced me to Quinoderm, you can buy it from the pharmacy in Boots, costs a couple of quid and is amazing. My skin is the best it's ever been.

I'd suggest Quinoderm 5 for first time use, use at night (as it smells quite clinical) after your cleansing routine.. be warned though, it stings a bit! The moisturise with normal moisturiser in the morning. For the first week or so, it dries out your skin.

It's also great for individual spots!