The fading popularity of Maroon 5

Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
I have always liked Maroon 5's music since their debut album 'Songs about Jane'. They've done pretty well in the UK charts with songs like 'She will be loved', 'This Love', 'Makes me wonder' etc. But their new album, 'Hands all over', reached number 6 in the UK and then sunk without a trace. I am a big fan of the lead single 'Misery' but that only reached number 30. Why do you think they're not doing so well now? Is it just a case of a band who've had their time and fresher talent have taken over?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Mr. Chips wrote: »
    I have always liked Maroon 5's music since their debut album 'Songs about Jane'. They've done pretty well in the UK charts with songs like 'She will be loved', 'This Love', 'Makes me wonder' etc. But their new album, 'Hands all over', reached number 6 in the UK and then sunk without a trace. I am a big fan of the lead single 'Misery' but that only reached number 30. Why do you think they're not doing so well now? Is it just a case of a band who've had their time and fresher talent have taken over?

Hmmm not sure, i really liked them when their first album was out never really heard anything since.

Lack of promotion maybe, not sure though.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neo-soul / funk Contemporary pop/rock isn't popular any more I'm afraid, although hip-hop / neo-soul fusion is popular now .Contemporary pop-rock is shifted to the more rocky Kings of Leon type sound, although they are probably not considered as contemporary by the rock heirachy as yet though - Alternative country tinged Indie pop-rock perhaps.The Arena rock type sound seems to become popular again even because it is played on local radio stations alot - Journey / Don't stop believing etc.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people even knew they had a new album out? Not many, I suspect.

Their popularity was similar to Scissor Sisters in the way that they were very big for a while, but not as established as bands like Coldplay are, for example. Meaning the public will forget about them if they don't constantly release new music. These days, bands like them can't just go away for a few years then come back and get the same amount of success as before - especially considering how narrow the commercial radio playlists have got. Even worse for Maroon 5 is that they don't have the crucial backing of Radio 1.

It's not their fault - it's the fickle nature of much of the record-buying public, and the lack of any decent radio airplay. It will only get worse for such bands if things don't change soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know about fading popularity, im going to see them in feb and the concerts sold out. They dont seem to do well in the charts anymore, but they still have plenty of fans imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    icehot69 wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure, i really liked them when their first album was out never really heard anything since.

Lack of promotion maybe, not sure though.

Same, their first album was amazing..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;47248395']Same, their first album was amazing..

The second one is good too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the collab they done with Rihanna is still one of my favourite songs to date.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    I dont know about fading popularity, im going to see them in feb and the concerts sold out. They dont seem to do well in the charts anymore, but they still have plenty of fans imo.

Only medium sized venues though 2k to 4k .Noticed Sara Bareilles is supporting as well.Strange support but she is quite a popular Adult Contemporary artist as well, although not quite mainstream.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had their time :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because they've shown little or no growth between albums. Honestly you could put all their singles together on one album and only a fan would be able to spot the difference in sound between their debut single and their latest one.

Talented but not exciting enough anymore to do well on the mainstream. But I believe they still do well touring.