Ofcom consider making switching networks easier by simply contacting new network

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Ofcom are considering making it easier to switch networks. They propose cutting out having to contact your current network and try to obtain a PAC from them. This is often an arduous task. While getting a PAC is mandatory under present rules networks like to stonewall and make it as difficult as possible to obtain one.

All you will have to do is contact your new Network. That simple.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/ofcom-to-make-uk-mobile-network-operator-switching-even-easier.html

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO the focus should be on making the process faster.

The current system is too slow. I think you should be able to switch *instantly* - i.e. as soon as you provide the PAC to the new network.

At present, if you provide your new network with a PAC at 17:31 on a Thursday, your number might not switch until 17:29 on Monday. That's just terrible.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the system used in basically every other country.

I sort of like the PAC idea because it provides positive confirmation that the number's "owner" wants to move, and it's harder to force a port fraudulently, but I do think it takes a stupid amount of time.

It's basically an automatic process, at the very least it should be same day within business hours, or ideally a quick process 24/7. I think in countries like Australia it's done in a matter of a few hours, at most, during business hours

Maybe have a system that retains the PAC, speeds up porting times, but provides an automatic means to obtain the PAC without having to speak to a human or be told of all the "great deals" they can offer.

They did something similar in the broadband world for MACs - there was a time limit that an ISP had to deliver the MAC after you request it - though in the last month or two, MACs were abolished entirely
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course will then naughty people at networks swap people without their consent? That always the risk. There needs to be something in place so its not too easy that anyone can falsely do it.

Agree on just making the port quicker though. It takes way too long for which will effectively be someone clicking a few buttons on a computer.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the concern, that resellers that are less reputable will port people over with very little or no confirmation, like what has happened with energy companies.

If you want to cancel it's generally fairly easy, if companies are very difficult then ask for the pac several times stating clearly that you are not interested in staying and if they won't give it to you raise a formal complaint and if necessary complain to the ombudsman. Typically there aren't that many issues though.

I worry by trying to fix something that isn't really broken that you'll just create another minor issue of people arguing that they didn't agree to ports.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose this is a logical step, as they've just done away with the MAC system for switching broadband providers.

I wish they'd just leave as is tbh. Phoning up for a PAC/MAC is/was a good way of getting a deal out of them.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    It's what they've done with broadband, where all you do is contact the new provider and they switch you over.

There's no reason why it cannot be instant though.
  • joemcdjoemcd Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    When I was back in Ireland, it took less than 15 minutes to port my billpay O2 number to 3. I also didn't need to talk to O2 at all during the process. In contrast, moving to EE from 3 here here was such a pain and took so many days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    It's what they've done with broadband, where all you do is contact the new provider and they switch you over.

There's every reason, provisioning, fraud and security, credit checks, and several other reasons just off the top of my head.

Why is everyone in such a rush these days? does it matter if it takes 24 hours?
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    They did something similar in the broadband world for MACs - there was a time limit that an ISP had to deliver the MAC after you request it - though in the last month or two, MACs were abolished entirely

FTTC sort of uses both systems still (I think), given ISPs using Openreach all the way to the exchange and then some I suppose one could consider Sky and the like being a virtual operator in that sense. If you are moving the whole service from one to another then generally its done from the off, however those with separate phone and broadband providers still have the complications. FTTC is a bit different to ADSL2+ as we all know, OFCOM wasn't specific about services that weren't all done via one provider. I moved my other address over to Zen this month and I was still issued with a MAC for moving the broadband.

Its strange but switching a broadband and phone line is easier to revert than a porting of a number. I have never worked in the porting teams for any network, I just know there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes that the customer doesn't see.

I think we still have the purverse situation where if the original network of the ported number suffered a service loss then your calls would also suffer and not be routed accordingly. Its still the case that the original network sort of "owns" the number they issued, even though you are well entitled to port out to whomever you so choose.

P.S.

I think the PAC system we have now works well, in this instance it should be customer lead. Porting numbers and then back again if slamming has occurred is difficult. I also think that the networks should play ball and supply said codes free of hassle, if they really give a shit about your custom then they should offer you a good deal from the outset. I have been through the rigmarole of moving networks and the arse on you have to go through is a joke. Almost comparable with Sky.

PAC should stay but as with others a shorter time frame and work 24/7 since its all system lead anyway there shouldn't be any impact either way. If someone has got their PAC they are likely to use it so why stand in their way by delayings the inevitable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There's every reason, provisioning, fraud and security, credit checks, and several other reasons just off the top of my head.

Why is everyone in such a rush these days? does it matter if it takes 24 hours?

It could be longer than that on a weekend or Friday evening - as it's next working day.

People could wait, but there is little need for it because it can be highly automated and 24/7 - the system the UK has is already fairly unique in that you have to seek permission from the losing operator.

As I say, I wouldn't mind seeing the PAC stay but with an automated process to retrieve it - perhaps by calling a special number or sending an SMS from the phone you want to port

From then on it should be fairly straightforward - perhaps do as credit card processing does, by requiring names or addresses or postcodes to match on both sides to reduce fraud

I don't buy credit checks as an argument, when I can walk into a network owned store, and walk out with an activated SIM on a brand new contract as a new customer in 15-20 minutes - or pass one in seconds when ordering online
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    FTTC sort of uses both systems still (I think), given ISPs using Openreach all the way to the exchange and then some I suppose one could consider Sky and the like being a virtual operator in that sense. If you are moving the whole service from one to another then generally its done from the off, however those with separate phone and broadband providers still have the complications. FTTC is a bit different to ADSL2+ as we all know, OFCOM wasn't specific about services that weren't all done via one provider. I moved my other address over to Zen this month and I was still issued with a MAC for moving the broadband.

https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/Broadband/Ofcom_Consumer_Switching_Web_Call_27th_February_2014.pptx suggests that a MAC is not needed for FTTC, but I don't know enough to state anything authoritatively
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    If the original network still technically "owns" the number, is that why very occasionally if I call my brother's phone I get the Orange lady saying "this number is temporarily unavailable"?
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The three main problems with the current system as I see it are:

1 - It takes too long. Not just in terms of it being next working day (so at least 24 hours, but if on a weekend longer) but also in terms of it sometimes taking a few hours on the actual porting day (last time I did it, my old sim stopped working about 2 hours before my new sim started working).

2 - The process of getting the PAC should be automated. No reason why a network can't do it via an online form that gives you the PAC code there and then.

3 - The process of submitting the PAC should also be automated. Again, maybe via an online form (which could be just another field if you are signing up online).

If a new system can solve those three issues, then I don't see why it matters which network (losing or gaining) leads it.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think we still have the purverse situation where if the original network of the ported number suffered a service loss then your calls would also suffer and not be routed accordingly. Its still the case that the original network sort of "owns" the number they issued, even though you are well entitled to port out to whomever you so choose.

So what happens where there are more than 2 networks involved?
    For example my current number has been moved between O2, Orange and now onto Three.
    Forum Member
    So what happens where there are more than 2 networks involved?
    For example my current number has been moved between O2, Orange and now onto Three.

When you move networks and your number, the PAC sends a message to the original network to port all the numbers and texts over to your new network. It only connects once if you will, so moving from O2 to Three and the Vodafone doesn't add another link in the chain if you see. So when you move, there is only ever one link not several if you have shopped around over the years.
    Forum Member
    If the original network still technically "owns" the number, is that why very occasionally if I call my brother's phone I get the Orange lady saying "this number is temporarily unavailable"?

Possibly, I am no expert on number porting. About 5 ot 6 years ago OFCOM wanted to push for all numbers to be registered on a central database so in effect there would be a middle man run by OFCOM where number porting wouldn't suffer from that issue.

The only network I have knowed to suffer from these issues is O2, Three, EE and Vodafone largely have systems which fairly falesafe. Lets be honest there hasn't been many times where EE, Three and Vodafone have suffered outages in recent years. O2 well even I don't have a number as there has been numerous occasions.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

I'm not sure where some of your roadblocks come from, there is no provisioning issue, many networks around the world manage porting in 1 or 2 hours, and since when does requesting or processing a port require a credit check?

What are the several other reasons?
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where some of your roadblocks come from, there is no provisioning issue, many networks around the world manage porting in 1 or 2 hours, and since when does requesting or processing a port require a credit check?

There is no real obstacle to prevent number porting at any time. As long as its customer lead (e.g. they request the PAC), it can be done in hours as you say, the only thing holding it back is the networks. OFCOM tried to force 2hr porting down the networks necks, the barked and played holy hell. In the end they settled for 24hrs from when the PAC was issued, this in theory allowed them to call customers and offer retention deals. Strangely the PAC still even works if you have agreed an upgrade deal with your existing provider, though you would pay ETR if you used it.

I think in the end it will happen, eventually when OFCOM moves it's bum porting should become easier and quicker. I think it should remain customer lead and they should be in control rather than the networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »

Well, provisioning is 1, not all networks have the ability to push configs out as quick, some have older systems that seem to take an hour or two.

Protection against number porting fraud or unrequested / malicious activity, it is good to have checks and balances in place.

Opportunity for the network you're porting out of to offer retention

Checks to make sure the bills are up to date at the old company, if they aren't issuing a PAC then there needs to be check that the port is permitted. You simply can't have a system that would allow competitors to query an API and be able to find out based on a query who is out of contract otherwise it'll be abused.

Allowing time for reasonable SLAs in the event of billing issues or system upgrades, all networks are allowed maintenance windows on back end systems, these will often be several hours where planned changes are made.

I could go on..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, provisioning is 1, not all networks have the ability to push configs out as quick, some have older systems that seem to take an hour or two.

Even an hour or two is better than a day or more. I don't think anyone is reasonably calling for ports to occur in 10 minutes
    Protection against number porting fraud or unrequested / malicious activity, it is good to have checks and balances in place.

There's no reason why ports can't be monitored like they are now

Most people don't consider this a justification for delaying the processs. If you're signed up to a new provider you probably want out
    Checks to make sure the bills are up to date at the old company, if they aren't issuing a PAC then there needs to be check that the port is permitted. You simply can't have a system that would allow competitors to query an API and be able to find out based on a query who is out of contract otherwise it'll be abused.

Not an issue in the broadband world - MACs are (or used to be) issued regardless of your relationship with the provider. You can move any time you want, but your contractual obligations to the old provider still apply.
    Allowing time for reasonable SLAs in the event of billing issues or system upgrades, all networks are allowed maintenance windows on back end systems, these will often be several hours where planned changes are made.

I could go on..

This appears to be tackled in other countries with adequate warnings - e.g. "it could take all day, but probably won't" - and most people will be porting during normal hours, where there shouldn't be maintenance work happening anyway

We're not talking about groundbreaking new stuff here - these are problems other countries have dealt with relatively easily
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With respect, with broadband you haven't got a £500 phone which could be purchased on contract and then ported the next day etc, you can't allow people to port if they aren't permitted, the network you have a contract with has to be able to enforce it's terms. They sell you the contract subsidised under the understanding that you'll be using the phone (and probably use extras) on their contract.

Mobile contracts are not the same as broadband and anyway... what's the rush? what is wrong with 24 - 48 hours, take a chill, relax and stop being so impatient, everyone wants to constantly rush everything these days. I really don't think this is a problem most ordinary people can get worked up about, seems to be "must have 80Mb/s, must port in 1 hour" mentality on these forums.
    Forum Member

I could go on..

If it was Orange using CSS or Merlin then you may have a point. Seeing as that brand has now died out and existing customers are moved to (Excalibur?) the original T-Mobile infrastructure (full GUI not DOS like of Orange) there is no excuse.

Your saying against fraudulent activity, what if someone wants to move a payg number?

Frankly the crap you are spouting is bollox, all of the networks operate very robust fruad and indentity checks against several systems, electoral register, bank details. When a customer asks for a PAC they go through increased checks anyway to prevent slamming and the like is largely uncommon. Provider lead porting would obviously impact on that.

You are throwing so many scenarios into play they aren't even relevant. When a PAC is requested it will flag whether the line is in or nearing the end of the minmum term (if any at all). Once the customer is in receipt of that information its theirs to do as they will subject to remaining within the 30 period that the PAC is valid for.

The only provisioning that happens is when the new network ports the number, as I have earlier said the original netowrk will get a message form the new network to start routing calls there. Eveything else just routine, you really are making a mountain out of mole hill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With respect, with broadband you haven't got a £500 phone which could be purchased on contract and then ported the next day etc, you can't allow people to port if they aren't permitted, the network you have a contract with has to be able to enforce it's terms. They sell you the contract subsidised under the understanding that you'll be using the phone (and probably use extras) on their contract.

You are liable for the remainder of the broadband contract, though - which could be several hundred £ or even thousands (business broadband contracts) - just as you're liable for the remainder of a mobile phone contract, rather than the cost of the phone itself

Someone who does not want to pay isn't necessarily going to pay up under threat of keeping their phone number hostage - it'll still go to debt collections in the same way.

The argument also fails when the user is not in contract or is on a SIM only contract

You could, if you really want to, deny an automated PAC to anyone who is in arrears or who would be breaking a minimum term and require them to phone up to discuss it, but anyone out of contract or on PAYG could get one automatically with no fuss
    Mobile contracts are not the same as broadband and anyway... what's the rush? what is wrong with 24 - 48 hours, take a chill, relax and stop being so impatient, everyone wants to constantly rush everything these days.

Because it's 3+ days if done at the wrong time of the week, and like it or not, we're a 24 hour world. Same reason why people go to 24 hour supermarkets at 3am, or shop on a Sunday - things change
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting authorisation from the original and new network is always going to be more secure from a fraud point of view.

The system isn't without it's challenges and development costs, and for little gain really. All so porting can happen slightly faster because a small number of people are very impatient?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    You are liable for the remainder of the broadband contract, though - which could be several hundred £ or even thousands (business broadband contracts).

Someone who does not want to pay isn't necessarily going to pay up under threat of keeping their phone number hostage - it'll still go to debt collections in the same way.

The argument also fails when the user is not in contract or is on a SIM only contract

You could, if you really want to, deny an automated PAC to anyone who is in arrears or who would be breaking a minimum term and require them to phone up to discuss it, but anyone out of contract or on PAYG could get one automatically with no fus

Because it's 3+ days if done at the wrong time of the week, and like it or not, we're a 24 hour world

Debt recovery is a lot easier when you're dealing with a property and so is dealing with fixed line broadband service.

Mobile has always been a hotbed of fraud (unlike fixed line). Also you are tied to a fixed service contract, you should not be able to cancel or port to another provider if you're not authorised.

I have given other reasons, but you don't accept them, fair enough that's what a discussion forum is for.

I don't see the burning need to change the system, put the networks to more cost (which ultimately you'll pay for), potentially more fraud and the possibilities of unauthorised PAC requests with no notice to the consumer to prevent it.