Options

Win 10 up and running? Talk about your post-install experiences with it.

KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
Forum Member
1.) Ran Windows Update every few hours today. Noticed I got Windows Defender updates FOUR times today. Wow. A lot of last minute security patching there.

2.) Edge Browser sucks. The moment you hit a page with Ads on it, then it crawls. There are no extensions yet, so no Adblocking, and it handles the ads really badly to boot on top of that. Conclusion? Stay away from Edge. MS loses the browser battle again.

Comments

• Options
    jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upgrade from win 7 pro, went as smooth as it can everything working as it should,

Agree about Edge installed Firefox and that is running fine,

Only small problem is slight screen flicker but i will soon fix that later,

Installed bitdefender free and no problems.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Still using Firefox, it works even faster than on 8.1 so no need to change.
    I have a problem with the Store nothing will download from it. it's giving error 0x80070002. I have tried several apps including ones I own.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it first fired up after the upgrade (from win home premium) it wasn't identifying my graphics card or monitor so wouldn't let me choose the correct resolution. I also couldn't install nvidia GeForce experience or drivers. I did a reboot and it worked fine after that though - GeForce experience was already there running and I had the correct drivers.

Only dabbled with edge as I tend to use Chrome (or Safari on my MacBook) but it seemed a lot quicker than IE at least.

Linking up to gmail seemed to work ok and the calendar and mail apps look quite slick. Cortana seems to have been set up ok but not currently got a mic connected to my desktop so not tried talking to it yet.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The install went fine from 7 to 10, but my cortana doesnt work, and something that threw me, my password for my pc is now my MSN login, took me about 20 goes to realise what they had done.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is brill, just a shame Kaspersky couldn't get a fully working product out for it, very shoddy that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    The install went fine from 7 to 10, but my cortana doesnt work, and something that threw me, my password for my pc is now my MSN login, took me about 20 goes to realise what they had done.
    They made that login change with 8, I believe.

As for Cortana, do you mean that it doesn't run period, or that it doesn't seem to hear you when you speak to it?

Cortana was apparently only enabled in the US in some previous builds. But that restriction should be gone now.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing around with Windows 10 which installed yesterday on my 8.1 laptop (still waiting for my W7 desktop to upgrade), I couldn't find the search bar. Can anyone help, please? If I click the magnifying glass search icon that just brings up Cortana, which is not what I want.

A couple of other things: if I ask Cortana a question, the answer is in text, rather than her saying something. If I want to speak my question, I have to click the microphone icon each time.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    They made that login change with 8, I believe.

As for Cortana, do you mean that it doesn't run period, or that it doesn't seem to hear you when you speak to it?

Cortana was apparently only enabled in the US in some previous builds. But that restriction should be gone now.
    Doesnt run at all, its grayed out saying not available in my region.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    A couple of other things: if I ask Cortana a question, the answer is in text, rather than her saying something. If I want to speak my question, I have to click the microphone icon each time.

Try the phrase "Hey Cortana Do You Speak?"

I guessed at that, but just tried it and lo and behold it makes Cortana talk back to you. IF your volume is up.
    I couldn't find the search bar. Can anyone help, please? If I click the magnifying glass search icon that just brings up Cortana, which is not what I want.
    As far as I can tell the search bar IS the same place as the Cortana area where you type. They are one and the same.

Windows 8 had a version of the same, except on their separate Start Screen. You just start typing (in this case in that blank) and the search happens.

For example, I have an App called Flipboard installed. If I type "F" then "L", etc. I'll start to see various things spelled similarly until it's narrowed down to just the Flipboard app.

Similarly, in my downloads directory I have a PDF file that's a tech manual for my Microwave Oven. "Kenmore 72163259301.pdf". If I start typing "Kenmore", then Cortana finds the file quite easily enough.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm quite impressed with Edge.

ICYI I've discovered a free application called HostsMan to block the ads until there's an extension available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'm quite impressed with Edge.

ICYI I've discovered a free application called HostsMan to block the ads until there's an extension available.

Edge LOOKS nice. For a few minutes.

Then go to a page with lots of ads. Edge turns into a nightmare. It goes beyond simply not having a way to block the ads--their presence actually makes it draw the pages REALLLLLLLLLY SLOOOOOOOOOW.

So blocking them with this HOSTSMan might help. I guess I have to try it. But it makes me worry about MSes priorities here, because beyond not having real extensions on Day 1 (a bad idea) and beyond a philosophy that maybe favors the people planting ads, the mere fact that it made the PC CRAWL, and they didn't hash that out in testing, makes me worry.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Installed it on another clean drive some days before the launch from unofficial means and now have it all set up as I like it. In fact a few moments ago I booted up my old Windows 7 drive for the last time to transfer the last remaining dregs from it that I need - Goodbye Windows 7, you served me well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Playing around with Windows 10 which installed yesterday on my 8.1 laptop (still waiting for my W7 desktop to upgrade), I couldn't find the search bar. Can anyone help, please? If I click the magnifying glass search icon that just brings up Cortana, which is not what I want.

Type Cortana into the start menu box and you will see 'Cortana settings' Go in there and make sure 'Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" is selected....You will then be taken through the voice recognition bits.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liking it so far, only downside is that Cortana can't be used unless you sign in to an account instead of having a local one. It won't accept my Office 365 subscription account, so I'll just have to not use Cortana, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Liking it so far, only downside is that Cortana can't be used unless you sign in to an account instead of having a local one. It won't accept my Office 365 subscription account, so I'll just have to not use Cortana, which is a shame.

Just make a free Hotmail account. That's all you need.

Or I guess they've renamed it to "Microsoft Live" now. Same thing. Outlook (the free web version), Hotmail, Live (which they used to use for their Skype alternative, before they took over Skype)... they're all the same now I believe.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Kromm: yes thanks I discovered that the Cortana text box is the search box.

I will try that trick about getting Cortana to speak. Having seen the news item with Rory Cellan Jones, I did try "Cortana sing to me" and she gave me a few bars of Danny Boy :D
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

... or take 2 minutes to setup a Microsoft account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @Kromm: yes thanks I discovered that the Cortana text box is the search box.

I will try that trick about getting Cortana to speak. Having seen the news item with Rory Cellan Jones, I did try "Cortana sing to me" and she gave me a few bars of Danny Boy :D

Let me tell you something that's REALLY hilarious.

It must sense where we are (via the location settings) and tweak the response.

Because while YOU got "Danny Boy", I am currently sitting in New York right now, and the same "Hey Cortana Sing To Me" sang "Home On The Range". A little off-key too. It was amusing.

I wonder what the French get? Frère Jacques, perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone have Store problems? Wouldn't install apps or update. So, I've reverted back to 8.1 for a while.
    It's not working properly on my laptop either.......Looks like the new store might be having problems.

Anyone???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let me tell you something that's REALLY hilarious.

It must sense where we are (via the location settings) and tweak the response.

Because while YOU got "Danny Boy", I am currently sitting in New York right now, and the same "Hey Cortana Sing To Me" sang "Home On The Range". A little off-key too. It was amusing.

I wonder what the French get? Frère Jacques, perhaps?
    I'm getting 'Click go the Shears boys, click click click................' Whatever that is....
    'You are my sunshine' and Frere Jacques' amongst others......Keep asking and she'll do the whole concert....:D
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shall be leaving it for a few months, thanks. I shall follow your debugging with interest. :D
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go here and associate your 365 account with a Live account https://signup.live.com/signup?sf=1&id=38936&ru=https%3a%2f%2faccount.live.com%2f%3fwa%3dwsignin1.0&tw=0&fs=0&kv=0&cb=&cbcxt=&wp=SAPI&wa=wsignin1.0&wreply=https%3a%2f%2faccount.live.com%2f%3fwa%3dwsignin1.0&bk=1438253361&uiflavor=web&uaid=eed174ff98a044f78a2b4a38025900d0&mkt=EN-GB&lc=2057&lic=1

I can't believe MS haven't fixed this, I had them in the office last week as we are planning a 365 migration and I started at them in disbelief when they told me this.

For those of you that are having issues with Cortana and are logging in using a MS Live account you need to do the following, I had the same issue on one of the Insider builds on my Desktop (worked fine on the laptop):

Go to Settings - Time and Languages - speech - in there somewhere there should be a option to download a speech language pack.

I upgraded my desktop issues what so ever, now have a upgraded build and a insider build dual booting. What is more impressive is this PC is 9 years old and it runs Win 10 absolutely perfectly no wonder sales of desktops have flatlined. Laptop is running as well without any issues and I will probably keep that on a insider build.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I'm getting 'Click go the Shears boys, click click click................' Whatever that is....
    'You are my sunshine' and Frere Jacques' amongst others......Keep asking and she'll do the whole concert....:D

Yeah, I just found out you can request by name.

"Hey Cortana Sing You Are My Sunshine" worked, for example.

I suppose she's limited to the public domain of course.

Yup. If you ask "Hey Cortana, sing Happy Birthday" guess what happens?

If you guessed she sings the famous song... you'd be incorrect. It's not public domain. She sings an alternate version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I just found out you can request by name.

"Hey Cortana Sing You Are My Sunshine" worked, for example.

I suppose she's limited to the public domain of course.
    she'll only sing the programmed ones.....Others she points to the web...
    Try 'Tell me a Joke' if you are really bored....;-)
  • Options
    christwochristwo Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK but had problems with ESET Smart Security, 10 would not open "driver error", has to load in safe mode, delete eset and reinstall, fixed.

Also Outlook stopped working with iCloud, calendar and contacts, would not load as windows had made the user file read only, fixed.

Mind it is only day one!