Options

If Terrorists hit today in USA (Washington)

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If the Terrorists hit the inauguration in the USA and
took out the President , Vice president ,
President and Vice President elect and a few oldies
what would the USA do ?

Seem to have been threats made , reported by Sky News

Would the credit crunch seem a distant memory ?

I was thinking from a Non Usa threat

The bullet proof glass seems a bit feeble for such a gathering of current and Ex leaders

Comments

• Options
    Burning BallsBurning Balls Posts: 4,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have already been a few assasination attempts against Obama, mostly from neo-nazis.

If you're talking about "external" terrorist threats, it would depend on who is attacking and why.

Obama's foreign policies are not quite as extreme as those of George Bush, I think he has more to worry about from "domestic" threats from within the USA.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Terrorists hit the inauguration in the USA and took out the president , president elect and a few oldies what would the USA do ?

If you watched an episode of the West Wing (not the most reliable source but certainly one of the most entertaining!) they usually have one person in the line of succession in the government not attending these meetings so that a 9/11 attack wouldn't completely screw the political system.

I think the governors of each state get to nominate people to congress / senate until fresh elections can be held.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nancy Pelosi would be president (I think she's 3rd in line?) and there would be a lot of grief and consequences but the credit crunch wouldn't go away.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watched an episode of the West Wing (not the most reliable source but certainly one of the most entertaining!) they usually have one person in the line of succession in the government not attending these meetings so that a 9/11 attack wouldn't completely screw the political system.

I think the governors of each state get to nominate people to congress / senate until fresh elections can be held.

Never watched it , who is NOT there ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never watched it , who is NOT there ?

In the episode it was the Secretary of State for Agriculture (cue for large number of jokes) who was asked to sit out the State of the Union speech. As Obama has yet to make his appointments yet I presume one of Bush's appointees would take over. Although it could be anyone in the government.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Nancy Pelosi 3rd in line now and after the inauguration? Not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Isn't Nancy Pelosi 3rd in line now and after the inauguration? Not sure.

Yes......
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to sound like a joke but it isn’t – but if that did happen it would be the most amazing TV ever

By amazing I don’t mean ‘good’ obviously but can you imagine if that happened! God forbid (other deities are available)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The U.S defence secretary Robert Gates will actually watch the inauguration from an undisclosed location in case of a catastrophe - such as a terorist attack.

In the event of such an incident he will be required to maintain consistency of government.

Apparently somebody is always chosen, by the incoming and outgoing administration, to sit out the inauguration in the event of a catastrophe.

Info below:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-defence-secretary-gates-to-sit-out-obama-inauguration-20090120-7lkt.html
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really worries me...Obama seems to be one of the brightest hopes for the West in a while. The thought of him being assassinated is dreadful, even though everyone knows it's a high probability risk.

Mind you, I was one of the idiots who thought Tony Blair was a bright new hope in 1997 :o, so I hold little stock in my predictive abilities.

My dad said his world fell apart, for a while, when Kennedy was assassinated (he was a young man at the time), even though he's British.
  • Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    It really worries me...Obama seems to be one of the brightest hopes for the West in a while. The thought of him being assassinated is dreadful, even though everyone knows it's a high probability risk.

Mind you, I was one of the idiots who thought Tony Blair was a bright new hope in 1997 :o, so I hold little stock in my predictive abilities.

My dad said his world fell apart, for a while, when Kennedy was assassinated (he was a young man at the time), even though he's British.

He did... he even left before the problems began!
  • Options
    daniel hallidaydaniel halliday Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there already has been a murder at the inauguration, aretha franklin murdering the uk national anthem,:eek::mad::D
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mallaka wrote: »
    The U.S defence secretary Robert Gates will actually watch the inauguration from an undisclosed location in case of a catastrophe - such as a terorist attack.

In the event of such an incident he will be required to maintain consistency of government.

Apparently somebody is always chosen, by the incoming and outgoing administration, to sit out the inauguration in the event of a catastrophe.

Info below:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-defence-secretary-gates-to-sit-out-obama-inauguration-20090120-7lkt.html

Ah - I see - that's interesting.

Thanks for the link :) .
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Terrorists hit the inauguration in the USA and
    took out the President , Vice president ,
    President and Vice President elect and a few oldies
    what would the USA do ?

Seem to have been threats made , reported by Sky News

Would the credit crunch seem a distant memory ?

I was thinking from a Non Usa threat

The bullet proof glass seems a bit feeble for such a gathering of current and Ex leaders

Well had it happened Hilary Clinton would have taken control, well she was in charge before when her Husband was President. :D
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see someone would take a pot shot at him today. If they do then it will happen over the next 4 years when he's off his guard.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Well had it happened Hilary Clinton would have taken control, well she was in charge before when her Husband was President. :D

:D

Actually Hilary was there, sitting a couple rows back.