Why you should never agree to speak a tabloid journalist

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a real eye-opening story about what can happen if you agree to be interviewed by a Daily Mail journalist for a 'lifestyle' piece.*

In summary, they lied about the subject of the article, made up 'facts' and supposed direct quotes from the woman. A judge agreed she had a case as her reputation had been damaged, the Mail agreed to settle out of court, but insisted she could either have an apology (no doubt a one-liner on page 44). OR a cash settlement, representing her expenses.

The poor woman was treated terribly by the Mail, and judging by the comments, this is quite common, but we never get to hear about it because it costs phenomenal amounts of money to sue for libel.

http://dlvr.it/FcpBv

Comments

• chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This appeared in the Daily Mail thread yesterday I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chiller15 wrote: »
    This appeared in the Daily Mail thread yesterday I think.

Oops sorry, I didn't know there was a dedicated DM thread. Not sure whether to look at it or not, might be bad for my blood pressure!

It makes me so cross that they can get away with printing lies about real people, safe in the knowledge that most people don't have the money or resources to fight them
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Oops sorry, I didn't know there was a dedicated DM thread. Not sure whether to look at it or not, might be bad for my blood pressure!

It makes me so cross that they can get away with printing lies about real people, safe in the knowledge that most people don't have the money or resources to fight them
    Yeah, it is shocking, yet so many people buy the paper. I read a page of the thread, including that link, and had to stop.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it coz they is all ball bags?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's age old, unfortunately. Not a 'lifestyle' piece, as such, but over 30 years ago, my dad, secretary of a working mens' club, locked up the club one night and set about the 10 minute walk home. He was abducted, dragged into a waiting car and beaten to within an inch of his life, requiring plastic surgery, etc, etc. The abductors had carried out a 'revenge beating' because dad wasn't carrying the keys to the club safe, which they had anticipated on getting hold of and robbing the place. Dad was dumped a few streets away from his home and crawled home, taking two hours, whereby my (worried sick, by then) mum called the ambulance. The day after, while he was in hospital, a Yorkshire Evening Post journalist came snooping round and asked my mum for the story 'in the hope that it would help to catch whoever had done it'. The following day, the newspaper front page headlines were 'Club man crawls home on hands and knees', followed by a story so riddled with inaccuracies, my mum wept because, when dad was well enough to see it, he was extremely upset with what had been reported as her words, which had been so twisted from the truth, they were barely recognisable. It actually caused a serious row between them. The name of the reporter was David Bruce, the newspaper's crime correspondent, who was contributing to the YEP until quite recently, as far as I am aware.

Jump forward over 30 years and I read an article by a Daily Mail reporter (not the above guy) bragging about how he 'broke the story' of the Yorkshire Ripper during his time as a cub reporter at the very same YEP. He took great pride in retelling the story of how he tracked down Sonia Sutcliffe's elderly and frail parents late at night and told them about the arrest, much to their shock and dismay. He was actually bristling with pride at what he had done. Total scumbag. I guess he considers himself rather 'distingushed', now he has graduated to the Mail.

It's not fair to tar all tab reporters with the same brush, but some of them are mercenary scumbags, who won't, as they say, let the 'facts' get in the way of a good story.

ETA: Just been reading and re-reading the article referred to by the OP. What a horrendous story. The great thing now, however, is that we have the 'freedom' to speak on sites such as DS and highlight these situations, thus holding up a mirror to these people and the organisations which they hide behind.