Muting Galaxy S2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
I've just received a replacement Galaxy S2 as my old one broke. On the old one I could put my phone on silent by using the notification bar. On this phone there is no option to that on the notification bar. If I press # or the power off button on the side and choose silent mode in the phone options, it will put the phone on vibration not silent, is there anyway I can set this so that it will always go to silent instead of vibrate?

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Not really understanding why there is nothing in the notification bar to set to vibrate and silent...
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Not really understanding why there is nothing in the notification bar to set to vibrate and silent...

Yeah, I don't get that either. It's surely the same across all S2s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I thought it was something I'd not set up correctly. But it seems not. Seems daft not to have it. It was something I used regularly especially in work where we have to have our phones on silence, not even vibrate :-(
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Download 'volume control' I've had the app for a year or so you can silence everything on the phone and it has a couple of presets so you can go between normal and silent.
    Forum Member
    I would ask for another replacement, It's not like the silence option has been removed from any updates. It's even there on the S3.
    If there is something glaringly missing then there might be something not so obvious (yet) missing.
    Forum Member
    It will go on silent, but I just have to keep going into settings > sound > silent mode > mute, everytime I want to put it onto silent. It's just a bit annoying having to do it that way. Wanted it to be set to mute as the default, it seems to be vibrate is the default setting for the shortcut way to put the phone on silent. I will download 'volume control' and do it that way.
    Forum Member
    babyamy wrote: »
    It will go on silent, but I just have to keep going into settings > sound > silent mode > mute, everytime I want to put it onto silent. It's just a bit annoying having to do it that way. Wanted it to be set to mute as the default, it seems to be vibrate is the default setting for the shortcut way to put the phone on silent. I will download 'volume control' and do it that way.

OK. If you have the mute icon in the pull down bar you just touch it once for vibrate twice for mute.....But, I thought that the shortcut was missing from your pull down bar...??
  • sacavsworldsacavsworld Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    You might need to update it and the missing settings should reappear.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, so you can make it go to vibrate? All you need to do is push the "silent mode" button twice. It's always been that way.
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Wait, so you can make it go to vibrate? All you need to do is push the "silent mode" button twice. It's always been that way.

I thought I'd said that.....;)
    Forum Member
    Apologies if I am confusing people with what I trying to say here.
    There is no way that I can turn the sound on/off via the notifications bar.If I press # or press the silent mode in the phone options when pressing the power button on the right side of the phone, it will let me put the phone into silent mode but only on vibrate. I want the phone to be mute when in the silent mode, so I was wondering if there was a way of setting it so that hen I press # or do the power button way, mute would be the default and not vibrate.
    Forum Member
    Take the phone back as faulty. Get one that has the shortcut in the drop down bar.........I wouldn't want a phone that had bits of the OS missing....
    In the meantime you can set up a shortcut to the sound setting.
    Long press screen, press 'shortcut' on bottom row, scroll down to settings shortcut, then scroll to sound. That should keep you going until the replacement arrives.
  • FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I press the "Silent Mode" button in the notifications bar my S2 goes to Vibrate mode but if I press it again it goes to Mute, then again back to normal

I can also get to Mute if I press volume down a few times (when the volume gets to zero it goes to Vibrate then down again to Mute)

EDIT: Just noticed my first point has been mentioned a few times already... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I know this one, go into settings then sound then click vibration and select never, it will change default to mute and not mute/vibrate.
    Forum Member
    No explanation though for the missing icon in the drop down!!!??? Wierd....
    Good call on the volume buttons. I'd forgotten about that method...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »

I am guessing that it is because of the phone network's firmware.

I have an unlocked S2, and I have the vibrate/silent option in the bar, but I have seen an Orange branded S2 which has a data switch rather than a silent mode switch in the notification bar.
    Forum Member
    Curious......Can't speak for Orange as I don't use them, but, I've not seen that before. Why do these companies feel the need to meddle so much......They are rubbish at it...
    Forum Member
    Ryan S wrote: »
    I am guessing that it is because of the phone network's firmware.

I have an unlocked S2, and I have the vibrate/silent option in the bar, but I have seen an Orange branded S2 which has a data switch rather than a silent mode switch in the notification bar.
    I'm on T-Mobile and I have the data switch rather than the silent mode switch in the notification bar and my boss also has this and she's on O2. Not sure why the change, but it seems to be all recent phones that have the notification bar set like this.