Abu Qatada deportation imminent

13»

Comments

• FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yeah, have we figured this out yet? I mean, good to see him go and all that, and actually it's good news that Jordan have signed up to a no-torture agreement, but all this "hurray we are hardasses and have finally managed to deport him" is a bit hilarious if it's nothing we did and he left of his own accord anyway :D

Good question, BBC News quotes his lawyers earlier that he would leave the country voluntarily, all the other news outlets say he was deported. Does he not or did he not have Asylum status so surely the government revoked that anyway, he is not a British citizen so surely he would have to do a Snowden and apply for asylum.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically there was a deportation order active and he left the country, so I suppose both statements are true. He wouldn't be leaving if there wasn't the deportation order.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, have we figured this out yet? I mean, good to see him go and all that, and actually it's good news that Jordan have signed up to a no-torture agreement, but all this "hurray we are hardasses and have finally managed to deport him" is a bit hilarious if it's nothing we did and he left of his own accord anyway :D

I doubt he would have left under his own volition had he not been under ever-increasing pressure to do so formulated by the work the Home Office had to do to bring about his deportation. Either way it's a victory for them ultimately, so smirking at the thought of him "voluntarily" leaving is a bit silly.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question, BBC News quotes his lawyers earlier that he would leave the country voluntarily, all the other news outlets say he was deported. Does he not or did he not have Asylum status so surely the government revoked that anyway, he is not a British citizen so surely he would have to do a Snowden and apply for asylum.
    Technically there was a deportation order active and he left the country, so I suppose both statements are true. He wouldn't be leaving if there wasn't the deportation order.
    peroquil wrote: »
    I doubt he would have left under his own volition had he not been under ever-increasing pressure to do so formulated by the work the Home Office had to do to bring about his deportation. Either way it's a victory for them ultimately, so smirking at the thought of him "voluntarily" leaving is a bit silly.
    All true, yeah.

But it's still happened because Jordan have signed the No Torture Agreement...how much credit our government can take for that I don't know, but I'm kinda sceptical. (And I'd be more supportive if they were saying "yay we got Jordan to improve their human rights" rather than "yay we managed to deport this one guy"!)
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A victory for common sense

Court of human rights lost this one

He came into this country under a fraudulent passport

He had no right to be here in the first place, nevermind taking thousands in benefits

David Cameron's blood, can cool down now

I'm reading something here, about this issue made David's blood boil
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch him get found not guilty of all charges and come back :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

More like he jumped before he was pushed.
    Forum Member
    I had to highlight your sentence, but do you know what you are saying? Islam is a faith, a religion, the same as Christianity, there are millions of people that follow that faith you are essentially saying that every muslim is a terrorist?

Well newsbreak, they are not.

Abu Qatada is a terrorist, nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, i'm not Muslim i'm British and a Christian.

Erm there was no mention of the word terrorist in the post you replied to, what was said that it was 'a rare point scored against Islam' and I agree.

He was a radical muslim cleric.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    About time they finally had him deported. That man is a menace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the ignorant masses have been fooled yet again. In order to get rid of Qatada we have signed a treaty with Jordan allowing any and all British citizens to be extradited to Jordan to stand trial - in their state security court.

I hate to break it to you, but whether there is torture evidence or not, the Jordanian state security court is hardly the old bailey. There's no jury, there are no appeals.

Still, least we got rid of a pantomime villain eh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All true, yeah.

But it's still happened because Jordan have signed the No Torture Agreement...how much credit our government can take for that I don't know

A goal is still a goal even if it comes about because the keeper is caught off his line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    I see the ignorant masses have been fooled yet again. In order to get rid of Qatada we have signed a treaty with Jordan allowing any and all British citizens to be extradited to Jordan to stand trial - in their state security court.

I hate to break it to you, but whether there is torture evidence or not, the Jordanian state security court is hardly the old bailey. There's no jury, there are no appeals.

Still, least we got rid of a pantomime villain eh.

What is the likelihood of the Jordanian government seeking to extradite British citizens in all honesty?
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »

Shockin that is, allowing suspected crims to be extradited.

Best not to go there and do anything dubious in the first place.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully he'll be either in Jordan, or well on his way to Jordan now. His family aren't happy because we're happy that his hatred has been stopped. I bet he's not smirking anymore.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Court of human rights lost this one

No they didn't...............how do you come to that conclusion ?

He wasn't deported (if he was deported and didn't leave voluntarily) until the objections raised by the Court had been met..........they laid down conditions and the British Government did what they asked them to do

That looks like a victory for the Human Rights court to me - the Government obeyed the instructions and intentions of the Court

And as for the wider Human Rights movement it's another victory as another country, Jordan, improves the rights of it's citizens
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That just leaves his wife and kids to pay for unless they decide to join him - or did they go as well?
    magratx wrote: »
    I hope Jordan jail him for a long, long time, or else I imagine he will be going to court to claim his right to "family life" in the UK.

What about his right to a family life in Jordan?
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to highlight your sentence, but do you know what you are saying? Islam is a faith, a religion, the same as Christianity, there are millions of people that follow that faith you are essentially saying that every muslim is a terrorist?

No, I did not, and am confused how you came to that conclusion. While it's obviously true that the vast majority of the world's terrorists are Muslim, not every Muslim approves of their activities.

When I said that we've scored a rare point against Islam, it was referring to the spread of Islam being the gravest threat to civilization our planet has ever seen.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Can they kick him up the arse as he gets on the plane, Bishop Brennan style? :D

I feel sure that if they can, they will. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Gone at last. I wonder if his family will join him instead of claiming benefits here.

I bet they'll suddenly discover that they're not so keen on him after all. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That dirty cow just doesn't give up does she?

:D:D:D
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasnt deported he left voluntarily.