Smoke alarms! Fire tonight.

2»

Comments

• Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Grain wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to refine the sensor technology, to differentiate between steam and smoke.

Have lived in 2 different council properies over the past 14 years. Both had (last place for a decade)..this place ever since - smoke detectors - and both very different units.

Yet whenever you run a bath, or take a long shower, the steam sets them off. Endlessly leaping from the bath/shower, and streaking down the passage to hit the reset button - much to my dogs alarm (pun intended.)

Have you tried the "toast proof" ones? They're supposed to get round that problem.

Glad everyone got out ok OP! We've got smoke alarms and a CO2 alarm. Bought them as soon as we realised that the previous owners had taken their smoke alarms with them!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep we have smoke alarms and yep we check them (they are actually wired up to the mains, on a different circuit though!)

When we moved in the Fire Brigade came to check them [all new tenants can request this service in my borough] and they rocked up in a fire engine :eek:
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    Have you tried the "toast proof" ones? They're supposed to get round that problem.

Glad everyone got out ok OP! We've got smoke alarms and a CO2 alarm. Bought them as soon as we realised that the previous owners had taken their smoke alarms with them!

as per below :eek:
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep we have smoke alarms and yep we check them (they are actually wired up to the mains, on a different circuit though!)

When we moved in the Fire Brigade came to check them [all new tenants can request this service in my borough] and they rocked up in a fire engine :eek:
    Seems a bit excessive to turn up in a fire engine when it is something non-emergency related! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »

Many times. Though the requisite witicisms would be quite inappropriate in this particular thread..albeit illuminating :o
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit excessive to turn up in a fire engine when it is something non-emergency related! :rolleyes:

I did ask and they assured me that had a call come in they'd have left my fire alarm check for another time and headed out :D. They were all on shift and all ready to fight fires at a moments notice :)

It's actually part and parcel of their job (fire prevention)
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did ask and they assured me that had a call come in they'd have left my fire alarm check for another time and headed out :D. They were all on shift and all ready to fight fires at a moments notice :)

It's actually part and parcel of their job (fire prevention)
    Ah, that makes much better sense! ;) What if the fire engine siren had been blaring on whilst they were on the way to your residence to check your alarm? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Thank you :)

Our cats hid away when they heard the alarms/ smelled the smoke, we couldn't get them out of the house and the 999 operator told us to just get out. Was v worried but they are fine, just a bit freaked out by all the commotion.

Neighbours rent their flat and don't have contents insurance. Not sure what the damage is down there, will pop down to see them in a few hours. I guess it cannot be that bad, just smoke damage, or the fire brigade wouldn't have let them back in.

I emailed work at 5am explaining why I won't be in today and I would take a days leave. Boss just picked up email and replied, said no need to take leave, I can just have the day off in the circumstances which is really kind of him.

Sadly I lost my wee cat in a house fire we had which is why I was so relieved to hear your wee ones are safe. It is a hard thing to get over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Sadly I lost my wee cat in a house fire we had which is why I was so relieved to hear your wee ones are safe. It is a hard thing to get over.

Oh that's awful, So sorry to hear that, that's terrible.

I tried to get them into baskets but they were nowhere to be found so we had no choice but to just get out ourselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    good shout, check now if youve got em
    if not go get em

good shout nice post