What is your favourite city (worldwide)?

Comments

• wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Lancaster. :cool:
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's not paranoia. It's a case of what might happen, in the unlikely event it does. What do you do.

I think the chances of it happening to me are so immeasurably small, it's not worth thinking about, let alone put me off visiting a country I love.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athens. I lived there for a while when I was younger. I have such fond memories of walking around in the boiling hot city with the scent of souvlaki wafting from every street corner. :)

Only to visit these days ... it's far too hot for me to live there again.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loved paris even though i hate cities...

phoenix arizona wasnt bad either
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I ask why? I had a wander round and it looks a right shithole :blush:
    Hurricane is the closest "city" to Zion National Park, which is one of my favourite places. It's a very convenient place to stay for the park, with a reasonable choice of accommodation and eateries, but nothing much else to commend it. I certainly wouldn't describe it as unpleasant though.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I loved both Sydney and Vancouver.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New york, New york
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honolulu

New York City

Verona
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Melbourne or Buenos Aires.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dubrovnik - Beautiful.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havana. It's an incredible place!
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living on the Orkney's must be a bit of a contrast.

I'm one of those folk where it's all or nothing. I either have to be in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a big city :D (as long as it's not Glasgow! glad that i don't work there anymore!)
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Hurricane is the closest "city" to Zion National Park, which is one of my favourite places. It's a very convenient place to stay for the park, with a reasonable choice of accommodation and eateries, but nothing much else to commend it. I certainly wouldn't describe it as unpleasant though.

Afterwards I did come to the conclusion it must be the outlying area that was the attraction. The city itself seemed to consist of a 1000 pick-up trucks and 100 fast food eateries, maybe not unpleasant, but neither very interesting particularly for a 'favourite city' choice :p

Do you spend all your stay in Hurricane, or do you do any camping while out there? (The latter would be my choice).
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you spend all your stay in Hurricane, or do you do any camping while out there? (The latter would be my choice).
    In that area we've stayed in St George, Hurricane and Cedar City, always just for a few nights as part of a road trip fly/drive style holiday, and always in motels.

As well as Zion National Park, in the same area there's Bryce Canyon NP and Cedar Breaks National Monument. There are details and photos of all these places on the US National Park Service web site http://www.nps.gov and Wikipedia, plus loads of videos on YouTube.

This YouTube video (not recorded by me) is of the scenic drive in Zion in winter with snow on the ground. In summer this road is closed to private vehicles and visitors use free shuttle buses:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEIMevTbW6o

This video (also not recorded by me) is of the Angel's Landing Hike in Zion. I did the lower section but ran out of energy and courage to go further:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07wOlcQh4E

(Apologies to other readers for going OT but I thought the other poster's question deserved a response.)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolverhampton !!!!
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either Amsterdam, San Sebastian, Barcelona, Paris or Alicante. All joint first. :D

Runners up: Brighton, London, Rome, Palma de Mallorca and Ibiza town.

Cities on my wish list: Seville, Copenhagen, Berlin, Toronto, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo, Kyoto, Istanbul, Marrakech, Auckland, Melbourne, San Fran & NYC. And many many more, I could go on and on. :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    As I said each to their own, but personally I love seeing new places and feel like I would be missing out. I have had wonderful times in the USA and several countries in Asia. I tend to, within reason, keep politics and holidays aside. I even wish to visit N Korea at somepoint soon.

Let us know how it went, if you do go. Rather you than me. NK has appalling political rights and civil liberties.

North Korea.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/north-korea

Compared with. United Kingdom.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/united-kingdom

Why not take a holiday in Saudi Arabia, while you are at it.
    Saudi Arabia.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/saudi-arabia

Or go for gold and try Syria. You know you want to.
    Syria.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/syria
    Forum Member
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I'm one of those folk where it's all or nothing. I either have to be in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a big city :D (as long as it's not Glasgow! glad that i don't work there anymore!)

That's fair enough. To be honest, I'd like visit the Orkney and Shetland Islands at some stage. Whether I would want to live there, not sure.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My home city of London is also one of my favorites. I feel so comfortable and at home there, it helps I worked in the City and West End for 20 years.

I also love being in New York, now one of the worlds safest cities although I always come back with neck ache. I am also a great fan of Cape Town in South Africa - beautiful location.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London, I just love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Gotta agree with the Kyoto mention here, what a great place, just squeezing the lovely Prague into second place.

Also a big fan of NYC, Barcelona, Santander, Vigo, Toulouse, Rome, Arequipa (Peru), Bath, Cheltenham (towns, i know).

As for Singapore, yes its undemocratic and has the death penalty but you can walk around at 2am without any hassle, even while carrying a bundle of cash in your hands (if you so wished to). Also, the government does care about its (ethnic Chinese) citizens and sees itself as a father; as long as you dont rock the boat, you are ok. Same applies to most of China (Shenzhen/guangzhou excluded) in that it's pretty safe, exc petty crime, but there the govt isnt so benevolent. As for anyone thinking this country is a democracy, dream on ... its self-serving, dangerous, mismanaged and run by shysters

As for Sheffield on here, WTF
    Forum Member
    As for anyone thinking this country is a democracy, dream on ... its self-serving, dangerous, mismanaged and run by shysters

If the UK isn't a democracy, then find me one that is more democratic. I think you'll have a long hard look, outside of most European nations, Canada, possibly Australia, New Zealand, maybe even Japan. You do realise that the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world regarding immigrants, women's rights etc.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paris, mon amour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    If the UK isn't a democracy, then find me one that is more democratic. I think you'll have a long hard look, outside of most European nations, Canada, possibly Australia, New Zealand, maybe even Japan. You do realise that the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world regarding immigrants, women's rights etc.

On the democracy index, the UK doesn't score exceptionally high. The Scandinavians always take the lead there. But, being tolerant isn't the same as being democratic; in fact, many people in this country always moan that they don't have a voice on issues such as immigrants, women's rights, gay rights, the EU etc. At a local level, we have elected councillors here building properties here, there and everywhere, while ignoring the complaints of those who voted them in - the fact that we could then vote for another party is meaningless when they would do the same thing. This happens in China all the time but they don't loudly claim to be a democracy.

My only issue with Singapore is that it is soooooo dull.
    Forum Member
    On the democracy index, the UK doesn't score exceptionally high. The Scandinavians always take the lead there. But, being tolerant isn't the same as being democratic; in fact, many people in this country always moan that they don't have a voice on issues such as immigrants, women's rights, gay rights, the EU etc. At a local level, we have elected councillors here building properties here, there and everywhere, while ignoring the complaints of those who voted them in - the fact that we could then vote for another party is meaningless when they would do the same thing. This happens in China all the time but they don't loudly claim to be a democracy.

My only issue with Singapore is that it is soooooo dull.

I agree with most of that, but in many other countries in the world, you wont be able to even comment on the above issues, without risking being arrested or imprisoned. Yes, we can't change many things in the UK, but we can at least voice our disapproval in most cases, without hindrance or harassment by the powers that be.

=

Singapore is dull. I wouldn't know. I've got far more places nearer to home, that I would like to visit first.