Is my Driving License still valid ?

2»

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    One reason why I will never get a photo driving licence until they force me too. When I am 70. :cool: :o

Paper licenses rule, OK?

I'm not sure where the problem is. You're still meant to inform the DVLA of a change of address etc with the old paper licences.

The only real difference is that every 10 years you have to send them a photo and pay a small fee. In the meantime you at least get a convenient form of government issued ID if you ever need it
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (I stupidly got a photo one so need to remember to update it when it expires).

I believe they send a reminder/renewal form, similar to how you get one for road tax
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    You are only committing a technical offence by not updating the photo. The same offence you are committing by not changing the address. You won't be done for not having a license.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    panixs wrote: »
    I have a genuine question for people with the old paper licenses. Why do most resent the idea of a photo card license?

I doubt that most people resent the idea of a photo card licence.

Internet discussion forums tend to disproportionately attract those with odd views on life and in particular hostility towards "the Establishment". Basically, they resent being told what to do in all circumstances.

In the real world, I suspect that (like you) the majority are perfectly happy to have a convenient form of photo ID. I'm twice your age and I'm quite happy to carry a photo driving licence.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as a FYI, you can renew your photo license online without having to send in new photo or paperwork if you have a new style passport as they can grab your photo from there.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    panixs wrote: »
    If you get caught for any traffic offenses you will have to upgrade to a photocard license as well. DVLA wont return old paper ones when adding points
    One of the reasons I opted for a speed awareness course when flashed at over 30mph at 6am.
    Yes I still live at the same address as when my paper licence was issued almost 30 years ago.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    One reason why I will never get a photo driving licence until they force me too. When I am 70. :cool: :o

Paper licenses rule, OK?

Same here. I'll be 70 in 12 years so will have to get a new licence then. I doubt I will move before I am 70 - but one never knows.:)

When I have to get a new licence I will. Until then my faded pink & green paper licence will do.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    I doubt that most people resent the idea of a photo card licence.

Internet discussion forums tend to disproportionately attract those with odd views on life and in particular hostility towards "the Establishment". Basically, they resent being told what to do in all circumstances.

In the real world, I suspect that (like you) the majority are perfectly happy to have a convenient form of photo ID. I'm twice your age and I'm quite happy to carry a photo driving licence.

It's got nothing to do with being 'anti-establishment' or resentment. It's simply I cannot be bothered to get a photo licence because I don't need one.

When I need one I will get one.:)
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I past my test about 15 years ago , I got a photo-card style ID and a paper driving license .

the photo ID card expired in 2009 , and I never renewed it because I wasn't driving anymore .

But presumably I'm still licensed to drive , is the paper part my actual proof of a driving license ? ( it says on that that it expires in 2032 )

Isn't it easier to just pay the twenty quid and renew the licence?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cost ? Photo licenses have to renewed periodically which costs £20 each time I thi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cost ? Photo licenses have to renewed periodically which costs £20 each time I thi.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the problem is. You're still meant to inform the DVLA of a change of address etc with the old paper licences.

The only real difference is that every 10 years you have to send them a photo and pay a small fee. In the meantime you at least get a convenient form of government issued ID if you ever need it

There is no problem. But I won't pay anyone any money for no cost-benefit to me unless I have to. That's it.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I renewed my insurance recently, and they were asking me all the questions, they asked if I had a full up to date licence.

I asked them what they meant by up to date, and they said was it still in date. I confirmed it was, (which it is) but asked them why they wanted to know that.

The man on the phone said that if you have to make a claim, some insurers won't pay out if there are innacuracies in the information you have given them, which include keeping your licence up to date.

Just as a warning to people. :)
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    When I renewed my insurance recently, and they were asking me all the questions, they asked if I had a full up to date licence.

I asked them what they meant by up to date, and they said was it still in date. I confirmed it was, (which it is) but asked them why they wanted to know that.

The man on the phone said that if you have to make a claim, some insurers won't pay out if there are innacuracies in the information you have given them, which include keeping your licence up to date.

I have yet to hear of any insurer ever that has refused to pay out because your photo is out of date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »

According this site, having an out of date photo does not invalidated your license,

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/blog/entry/legislation-expired-photos-do-not-invalidate-driving-licences/46025/
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are only committing a technical offence by not updating the photo. The same offence you are committing by not changing the address. You won't be done for not having a license.

I didn't change my address for 10 years on my old license - and was sure the DVLA would query it when I did.

They just sent out the photocard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I would renew and not take the risk of getting penalized.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    According this site, having an out of date photo does not invalidated your license,

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/blog/entry/legislation-expired-photos-do-not-invalidate-driving-licences/46025/

Correct. I can't believe any insurance company would invalidate a claim because of it, it would be the same as them invalidating a claim because you hadn't changed the address on your license.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

its £14 not £20 - it used to be £20 but was reduced by the government

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-fees-to-fall

if you do it online.

I did it a few days ago - it was my old brother who pointing out that will be the last one I have to pay for as the next time { if there is a next time } it will be free as I will be over 70.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The photo card is very much NOT optional. In fact after June 8th it will be the only part of your licence that is legal as the paper part is being abolished.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

If you have been issued with a photo card licence then it has to be kept up to date to allow you to drive legally. Obviously if you haven't driven since it expired then you are OK but you must renew it before taking up driving again.

Which may cause problems if hiring a car abroad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I renewed my photocard they sent me a new paper counterpart as well.

Hadn't changed address, just had to update the photo.

It was handy though as I had misplaced the old paper counterpart.