Options

What's happened to Caroline ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    G.F.M.G.F.M. Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people listen to and enjoy Caroline, as the station is these days.

It's said that the second generation of the station (late 70s/early80s) was nothing like the first (60s) - well, I barely remember the first, but the second was the greatest radio I've ever heard. Probably people who listened to the original station would say that what I listened to was rubbish in comparison. The point is, I enjoyed it immensely.

i remember, and listened to both of them. Personally i preferred the 60s version, as i was neither a hippie, nor into prog rock, which the 70s model seemed to lurch between, refering to itself as" Europes only album station". In the later 80s, following the demise of Laser it was a bit of each. When i listened to the easter RSL on 531, there didnt seem to be any discernable music policy at all, just a rather pretentious "real music real people" slogan. As a matter of inerest, if caroline was given a couple of kilowatts on a lowish mw frequency, would there be a distinct feel to it? there isnt now. As for the other post saying "radio one is the same now as it was then" well its still basically a top 40/ new music station, its the music that sounds different.
  • Options
    G.F.M.G.F.M. Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    Yes, because the current Radio 1 is EXACTLY like the Radio 1 of 1967 isn't it. :rolleyes:

Just because there are satellite stream problems, doesn't mean a station is in its "death throes." Maybe you could have waited to hear if the internet streams and/or the UPC cable stream was functioning first before paying your final...er...respects....

I have a great deal of respect for radio caroline, believe me. If it wasnt for caroline, god knows how long young people would have been stuck with the "light programme", etc. My point was not so much about technical problems, and more to do with how it sounds, and that its gettting harder to find it.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,903
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    I've read opinions on both sides of that question, which is why I didn't state it as a certainty.

The other explanations I've read are that it was named after Caroline Maudling, Reginald Maudling's 18 year old daughter who Ronan was going out with and that it was named after the targeted reader for Queen magazine, whose owner Jocelyn Stevens had a large part in financing the station:
    http://www.welovecolophon.com/archive/?mag_id=2394
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    The other explanations I've read are that it was named after Caroline Maudling, Reginald Maudling's 18 year old daughter who Ronan was going out with and that it was named after the targeted reader for Queen magazine, whose owner Jocelyn Stevens had a large part in financing the station:
    http://www.welovecolophon.com/archive/?mag_id=2394

It's my understanding that Radio Caroline was named after Caroline Kennedy , Ronan saw a picture of Caroline Kennedy as a toddler , disrupting the organised desk of JFK in the White House with the headline 'Caroline disrupts government'.