Who are the most versatile actors?

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Of recent times, I'd say two versatile actors are Ashton Kutcher and Jim Carry.

Ashton Kutcher - he does rom-coms like What Happens In Vegas and Dude Where's My Car?, and then does quite dark films like The Butterfly Effect and The Guardian.

Jim Carry - he does very serious and dark roles, like Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, and then the total opposite in The Mask and I Love You Phillip Morris!

Anymore?...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashton Kutcher - maybe, I still just see him as Ashton Kutcher in anything.

Jim Carrey - Definately.

Tom Hardy has to be one of the most, just look at the difference between Stuart: A Life Backwards and Bronson. Amazing transformation. Same goes for Christian Bale.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashton Kutcher - maybe, I still just see him as Ashton Kutcher in anything.

Jim Carrey - Definately.

Tom Hardy has to be one of the most, just look at the difference between Stuart: A Life Backwards and Bronson. Amazing transformation. Same goes for Christian Bale.

I've only seen Tom Hardy in Warrior but will keep a look out for him...

Christian Bale - yeh definately! Batman, The Fighter and American Psycho - enough said :)
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Pearce, Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jnr, Kevin Spacey, John Simm.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Daniel Day Lewis is head and shoulders the best actor around at the moment. He can look completely different from movie to movie

eg - Last of the Mohicans, Gangs of New York.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Marsden - he can do Super hero, Musical, Comedy and Drama.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »
    James Marsden - he can do Super hero, Musical, Comedy and Drama.

Did you see him in Straw Dogs? I never did but I assume he was very different from his other roles
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryan cranston, james gandolfini, hugh laurie

tv actors > film actors
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    brad pitt: comedy, action, serious dramas. very versatile career.
    daniel day lewis i agree with 2.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Gary Oldman. Among other parts he's played Dracula, Beethoven, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sirius Black, Stansfield, Commisioner Gordon and George Smiley - that's quite a collection of characters.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Fantastic actor, who has played many different types of role. Compare Boogie Nights to Mission Impossible 3 to Capote.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Daniel Day Lewis

That guy becomes his characters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Fassbender.Just seen Jayne Eyre,he was playing Rochester and he done it very well indeed.He has played a hunger striker,a german officer in Inglorious Basterds and a sex addict in Shame.Anything that is asked of him he can deliver.
  • hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meryl Streep
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Oldman. Among other parts he's played Dracula, Beethoven, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sirius Black, Stansfield, Commisioner Gordon and George Smiley - that's quite a collection of characters.

^^^^ This:)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Another mention for Gary Oldman.
    Mason Verger and Sid Vicious another couple of his famous roles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E.t...
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shahrukh Khan. Comedy, dance, romance,action, villain, victim, don, etc etc. I need the subtitles though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    One of the upcoming actors I would say that's quite versatile would need to be Chris Evans. Although he's known for doing superhero films hes also had a lot of great performances in grittier films like Puncture, Street Kings and Sunshine. I also think he was great at portraying Steve Rogers in Captain America. He really gets into the character and when I watch him I dont just see Chris Evans I see the character!

Also, I think Tom Hardy is one to watch out for as well. When I think of him I always think of Handsome Bob from Rock n Rolla but when I saw him in Warrior, he blew me away!

And of course, Christian Bale, one of my faves since American Psycho and Equillibrium! Love him as Batman and he was excellent in the Fighter!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely. Hes such a chameleon. He was excellent as George Smiley in Tinker Tailor, so different to his usual roles. I wasso impressed with his performance although I thought the film could be used as a cure for insomnia!:rolleyes:

Leo too! Seen him in Inception, excellent in that. Then something as utterly different as J Edgar, in which he was also extremely impressive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Ben Kingsley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Rockwell...

Contrast his :D comedy style in Galaxy Quest with his :eek: character in The Green Mile.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl Streep - She just does everything and that's why she has had the career she has. She can pull of amazing dramatic performances (Sophie's Choice, Doubt etc) or she can be just damn right hilarious (Mamma Mia, Julie and Julia etc)
  • WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Vincent Cassel he will change his appearance, the way he moves, the way he talks and becomes unrecognisable from one role to another. He completely transforms into all his characters and has played such diverse roles.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Might be an unpopular choice but I'm going to throw Robin Williams into the mix. We all know the comedy roles but when I saw him in Bicentennial Man I was blown away. Also his guest apperance in Special Victims Unit was brilliant.

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything everyone has said here
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Ryan Gosling.