Chronicle - 1st Feb 2012

PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone seen or heard anything about this film? I just saw a trailer on TV it was quite short and I only caught a passing glimpse but I just had a look online and it seems to be an interesting film to see.

Here is a Trailer

I would be interested in other peoples views as I have not heard almost anything about the film.

Comments

• 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've known about the film for awhile and was really excited when i read the sysnopsis. But i then watched the trailer and saw it was a low budget film, that featured unappealing dialogue. But yet i may still see it.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the trailer at the cinema that many times I feel like I've seen the film.

Looks like its trying too hard to combine too many things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the trailer although one of the posters is almost exactly the same as the one for Push, which was released on the same weekend in February three years ago (well, in the US at least). Both movies also have very similar plots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks alright, definitely worth a watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen loads of adverts for this, practically everywhere online.

I get it's low-budget but still looks interesting, may give it a watch on release!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I liked it.

So, yes OK, the plot could have come straight from an episode of Heroes, but Heroes was pretty good...in season one anyway:).

Three decent performances from the young male leads and enough of a story to keep you interested, quite funny in parts as well. At only 83 mins there's no time to get bored.

Good popcorn-sci-fi, if there is such a genre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just got back from seeing it and i really enjoyed it. Very entertaining. I'd probably give it 9/10.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is good two positive reviews although it is early days yet :)
    Forum Member
    Well this is good two positive reviews although it is early days yet :)

If it makes any difference, both of my friends really enjoyed it too, and one of them is notoriously hard to please:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just came back from cinema. Really, nothing special about the plot and the found-footage narratives. I quite like the pace for the film, but I hope the stories could be lengthened a little bit - say, what happened to the nosebleeds? why were there some crystallines things in a field in the first place?
    Forum Member

Total Film gave it a glowing 5 star review too:

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/chronicle-1
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this.

Overall, very good. Takes a while to get going and I, like most of the audience were probably all waiting for the super-powered shenanigans to start. Up until then, just standard camcorder footage fare charting the misadventures of the trio, as they get used to their new found abilities.

Things do pick up with Andrew's slow descent into madness / super-villainy (given away in the trailers) and the weight of responsibility on the shoulders of our protagonists. Throw in some familial melodrama and some 'wow - i wish I could do that' moments, there's just about enough to sustain interest as we head towards the final act. And when it does come, it is BRILLIANT! All very reminiscent of Superman 2's Metropolis clash, touch of X-Men and a dash of Hancock. But all with a real world sensibility and effective use of POV / experiencing the action up close and personal (flying car!).

If Chronicle had been made before the likes of Heroes and even No Ordinary Family had debuted, it would have been all the more effective. As it is, it's a bit familiar for superhero genre fans...but still very good nonetheless.

A word on the flying effects - very well executed. If people started suddenly flying about in the high road, this is how I expect it would happen, with similarly startled bystanders running and screaming. The makers of the forthcoming Man of Steel must feel a little annoyed, as Chronicle does potentially steal some of its flying thunder.

Highly recommended and will no doubt be No 1 at the box office for weeks to come. 8/10.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    If it makes any difference, both of my friends really enjoyed it too, and one of them is notoriously hard to please:p

It kind of does :) I prefer general public opinion to film critic opinion (sometimes they get too distracted by the visual cinematography and such things) so it is nice to see more people liking than disliking.

I am thinking of going this weekend, along with Man on a Ledge and Mission Impossible (this one is a filler between the other films :))
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good film,possibly drags slightly towards the end, nicely shot,funny lads banter and antics

id give it 7.5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was alright but couldve been better, they didnt go into some of the plots, the nose bleed, the way he "feels" where they are like theyre connected. How that thing got there etc.

It was quite good though, the acting was good, good banter between them, powers were cool apart from one in particular.

better than average but not great imo 7/10

P.S. Our cinema had a problem with the aspect ratio the first 20 minutes of the film, i thought this was the camera work as its all done on a hand held...cinema apologized and everyone got a free ticket for another film, result!
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the trailer a few months back and thought it looked pretty good. I'll head out and see it in the next couple of weeks.
    Forum Member
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    I thought it was alright but couldve been better, they didnt go into some of the plots, the nose bleed, the way he "feels" where they are like theyre connected. How that thing got there etc.

I quite liked how they didn't spell everything out for us to be honest. It was easy enough to deduce that the nosebleeds were a direct consequence of using their powers so i don't even think that needs explaining really. Same goes for their "connection", it seemed quite easy to work out that they were connected due to encountering that thing in the ground at the same time, presumably everyone who is "infected" by it has some sort of psychic link.

I wasn't even that bothered that they didn't explain what the thing in the ground was or where it came from either, the film wasn't about what caused these guys to gain these powers, it was about what they did with the powers once they got them. If they'd gone off on a tangent trying to figure out what it was then i think that would have been out of character for the main protagonists. They were just kids having fun with these new powers, that's what the film was about.

I like that it kept a bit of mystery to the proceedings.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I watched it yesterday. I really liked it, and it's a good film. It was effective in exploring the conflct between power and responsibility, and temptation / good and evil, and so on.

8 out of 10.

The only problem I have is with the title. It means "Chronicle" in the sense of "Video diary", but doesn't otherwise adequately reflect the subject of the film.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Looks pretty good. I'll catch it on Sky eventually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I quite liked how they didn't spell everything out for us to be honest. It was easy enough to deduce that the nosebleeds were a direct consequence of using their powers so i don't even think that needs explaining really. Same goes for their "connection", it seemed quite easy to work out that they were connected due to encountering that thing in the ground at the same time, presumably everyone who is "infected" by it has some sort of psychic link.

I wasn't even that bothered that they didn't explain what the thing in the ground was or where it came from either, the film wasn't about what caused these guys to gain these powers, it was about what they did with the powers once they got them. If they'd gone off on a tangent trying to figure out what it was then i think that would have been out of character for the main protagonists. They were just kids having fun with these new powers, that's what the film was about.

I like that it kept a bit of mystery to the proceedings.

Basically i was saying a bit more depth to the film could've made it a little more interesting, story wise.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I was quite looking forward to this after seeing the trailer - but now I've discovered it's another "found footage" movie I'll pass.
    Forum Member
    I was quite looking forward to this after seeing the trailer - but now I've discovered it's another "found footage" movie I'll pass.

I wouldn't let that put you off, it's quite well handled and is never distracting. After the first 20 minutes or so one of the characters starts to use his "powers" to move the camera which means that it occasionally looks no different than any other film.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the trailer in the first post pretty much give you the entire film?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film; nicely paced & very entertaining.

My only gripe was that it was obviously made with a sequel in mind, as there are too many unanswered questions.