Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22374518
    Prosecutors said Mr Roache will appear before Preston magistrates on 14 May.

Chief Crown Prosecutor Nazir Afzal said the evidence against Mr Roache had been "carefully considered" and as a result, the Crown Prosecution Service would be charging him with two counts of rape.

"We have been reviewing evidence and providing early investigative advice to Lancashire Police since 1 March," he said.

"Having completed our review, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Roache to be charged."
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    The media being allowed to name people before any convictions does need to stop. I have never supported it and never will.

But then on the flip side you may have in high profile cases other victims who come forward with credible evidence after realising what is going on. But I do on balance tend to agree with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    But then on the flip side you may have in high profile cases other victims who come forward with credible evidence after realising what is going on. But I do on balance tend to agree with you.

I'm the same. I can understand the call for anonymity, but in some cases the publicity of an arrest can bring other victims forward.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media being allowed to name people before any convictions does need to stop.

It's the price to pay for justice being seen to be done. There are good reasons for trials routinely taking place in public and being reported by the press. Besides, imagine the rumours if we never actually knew who had been tried and acquitted?
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    It's the price to pay for justice being seen to be done. There are good reasons for trials routinely taking place in public and being reported by the press. Besides, imagine the rumours if we never actually knew who had been tried and acquitted?
    Indeed.. but the current set up is absurd. We have media sitting in the gallery not allowed to record and we then rely on their observations to tell us what is going on. Why not just introduce filmed courts that stream onto the internet?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Indeed.. but the current set up is absurd. We have media sitting in the gallery not allowed to record and we then rely on their observations to tell us what is going on. Why not just introduce filmed courts that stream onto the internet?

How many people are going to want to sit and watch the entire proceedings as they happen? We're still going to need journalists to precis the day's events - and they're restricted to telling us what happened, it's not as if they're allowed to embellish it while the trial is going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I don't think the accused should be named unless found guilty.

However - as an observation, they seem to have acted swiftly in this case - the fact that they have been working with the CPS since March 1st before, as far as we know talking to the accused would suggest there is sufficient evidence. Who knows - independent ex friends he bragged to or something to corroborate what the victim says? Anyway, innocent until proven guilty.......
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luckylegs wrote: »
    Who do you think told the press?

The press wouldn't report unless they had been given the name kosher wise.

The press can report who is arrested and who is charged unless the police ask them not to. Of course the press don't have to comply.

They've held off on a few names one they decided to out two weeks ago but there are some they haven't.

True enough. Then there are those quotes in the press every few weeks claiming more big arrests are just about to happen in the very near future, once that was claimed in January but people were getting frustrated as there didn't seem to be any reported arrests etc. a month or so later. Almost the same quote was published again later on, its been claimed about 3 times this year I believe?. It feels like its turning into some kind of soap(!). Will The Sun be running some sort of free Ken campaign like they did when Deirdre went to court on the TV show? :rolleyes:

There must be someone or people talking to the press - do they get paid for their quotes/info?. Why do they choose not to name some names but are happy to name others? bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    If there has ever been a more inappropriate username in the existence of DigiSpy then I think I win the prize :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Homeward wrote: »
    I don't think the accused should be named unless found guilty.

However - as an observation, they seem to have acted swiftly in this case - the fact that they have been working with the CPS since March 1st before, as far as we know talking to the accused would suggest there is sufficient evidence. Who knows - independent ex friends he bragged to or something to corroborate what the victim says? Anyway, innocent until proven guilty.......

Totally disagree, a lot of people either witnesses or even previous victims would never come forward if people were not named and not just for sexual offences, also there has to be some evidence for arrest anyway, its not often you would be arrested without something there, it really is no smoke without fire.

Jimmy Savile is the best reason to disagree, I would say had he been tried he probably would not have been found guilty on many occasions and therefore no one may have ever came forward if his trials were secret, i.e he was never found guilty.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/co-founder-of-bachman-turner-overdrive-found-not-guilty-on-sex-charges-1.1262416

Tim Bachman, who co-founded the iconic Canadian rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive, was found not guilty Wednesday of sex charges brought by a woman who was a foster child in his home.

A British Columbia judge concluded the testimony of Stacy Bohun, now 24, was unreliable because of inconsistencies in her statements over the years.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are so many celebs involved in these cases?

there must be a dirty culture within our showbiz industry
    Forum Member
    Its quite rare they charge on the same day as the arrest, I feel strongly that had he been convicted he would never have earnt the money he has done over the years and therefore should he be convicted then I think he deserves to lose it all.

Some people just don't know when to keep their trap shut, silly old man either way
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    Unless non-celebs are being rounded up under a different titled operation.

That's quite possible.
    The media being allowed to name people before any convictions does need to stop. I have never supported it and never will.

There needs to be a balance between freedom of the press and respect for the right to a fair trial. Unless there is a specific court order in place the press have every right to report the names.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Its quite rare they charge on the same day as the arrest, I feel strongly that had he been convicted he would never have earnt the money he has done over the years and therefore should he be convicted then I think he deserves to lose it all.

Some people just don't know when to keep their trap shut, silly old man either way

There's no legal basis for the BiB, unless they could prove he made the money as a direct result of the rapes, which is severely unlikely.
    Forum Member
    DomJolly wrote: »

Power I guess, but I can assure you its not a dirty culture in showbiz, I think the whole of the UK is toxic, Ive seen it so much in my life that goes unreported, so much
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DomJolly wrote: »

You just answered your own question.
    Forum Member
    Totally disagree, a lot of people either witnesses or even previous victims would never come forward if people were not named and not just for sexual offences, also there has to be some evidence for arrest anyway, its not often you would be arrested without something there, it really is no smoke without fire.

Jimmy Savile is the best reason to disagree, I would say had he been tried he probably would not have been found guilty on many occasions and therefore no one may have ever came forward if his trials were secret, i.e he was never found guilty.

I am concerned about those that are innocent - there are cases where women cry rape and the man is proven innocent. Nobody remembers that bit - families split up etc as a result of the stress. I do take your point on JS. Hard to determine a suitable threshold of victims required before it is made public.
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    How many people are going to want to sit and watch the entire proceedings as they happen? We're still going to need journalists to precis the day's events - and they're restricted to telling us what happened, it's not as if they're allowed to embellish it while the trial is going on.

Not really the point.. it should be there for those that want it.
    Forum Member
    I forgot about Andrew Lancel too, that's 3 Corrie stars Charged with child rape in the space of 5 months, OMG
    Forum Member
    I am concerned about those that are innocent - there are cases where women cry rape and the man is proven innocent. Nobody remembers that bit - families split up etc as a result of the stress. I do take your point on JS. Hard to determine a suitable threshold of victims required before it is made public.

Im sure they will (remember) in this case if he is found innocent,
    Forum Member
    Im sure they will (remember) in this case if he is found innocent,

He's in his 80's. Could die before it comes to trial - not a nice legacy if innocent. Can't stand the man by the way.
    Forum Member

I understand what you say, but ill never understand other peoples mentality I would never have a sexual relationship with someone I did not trust, so I would never be able to see my self in that situation of false rape, surely that has to play into it, and if you are a Celeb, either A or Z list then you should consider that.

Its a strange on me, but its the way I am, I would never put myself in that position so I can never understand how others do
  • TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member

BIB - Not just women, Matthew Kelly's accuser was male.
  • dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    How on earth can you prove rape with one victim 46 years ago?

If that were a hypothetical question one answer could be,
    Paternity test + maths + medical records.
    lemonbun wrote: »
    This is a joke now.

Not a joke
This discussion has been closed.