draft day , help please !!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
Forum Member
i am an avid sporty type film watcher , and enjoy almost all of them including a lot of baseball/american football type films even though i have hardly any clue about either sport as im from the UK . i plan to watch the film "draft day" a bit later tonight but would like to know exactly what is so big about this day in the US sports calender , can someone just give me a basic guide to why this is such a big day , thanks !!

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    shades1 wrote: »
    i am an avid sporty type film watcher , and enjoy almost all of them including a lot of baseball/american football type films even though i have hardly any clue about either sport as im from the UK . i plan to watch the film "draft day" a bit later tonight but would like to know exactly what is so big about this day in the US sports calender , can someone just give me a basic guide to why this is such a big day , thanks !!

its when all the franchises pick the best players from college or high school

so for sports fans its a look at how their team will shape up for both the coming season and the longer term and what new players they get

its more of a big deal in NFL and NBA than MLB tbh as players from the draft are more likely to make the transition from college/high school into the top level a lot quicker whereas in baseball players can take 4-5 years in the teams farm system, all teams have lower level teams affiliated with them, before they might make it to the majors
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    just to add there is usually a big buildup to the day itself where pundits try to predict which teams are going to pick which players , and whether any teams a bit lower down the draft order might trade with another team to move up to get a player they really like or need

just in case you don't know , how the draft works is all the best players from college and or high school can declare themselves as being available for the draft as long as they meet age requirements, that differs between the different sports. on draft day all the teams in the league take turns picking from all the available players with the team who had the worst record the previous year going first and the winners of the championship the previous year going last