Sky - Exclusive World Cup rights?

Chris155auChris155au Posts: 218
Forum Member
I heard that they'd be allowed to get exclusive rights. You're shitting me. This is a joke right? How can your Government be so useless? Here in Australia, our Government have a blacklist, which even the FA Cup final is on! And football is far from our biggest sport. England on the other hand... it IS your biggest sport right? I'm seriously starting to wonder, especially with a dedicated F1 channel (seriously, WTF?), but not a dedicated football one. Someone please tell me I've heard wrong about the rights.

Comments

• wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a free to air sports list here, and that includes the FIFA World Cup (and several other events.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris155au wrote: »
    I heard that they'd be allowed to get exclusive rights. You're shitting me. This is a joke right? How can your Government be so useless? Here in Australia, our Government have a blacklist, which even the FA Cup final is on! And football is far from our biggest sport. England on the other hand... it IS your biggest sport right? I'm seriously starting to wonder, especially with a dedicated F1 channel (seriously, WTF?), but not a dedicated football one. Someone please tell me I've heard wrong about the rights.

I would pay less attention to whoever told you, the World Cup is on the FTA protected list and there has been no indication that will change
  • Chris155auChris155au Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    We have a free to air sports list here, and that includes the FIFA World Cup (and several other events.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    I would pay less attention to whoever told you, the World Cup is on the FTA protected list and there has been no indication that will change

Hang on. Sky were in contention for the 2010 World Cup right? And failed to get them. That's what I read.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Hang on. Sky were in contention for the 2010 World Cup right? And failed to get them. That's what I read.

I don't recall reading such.

In theory, Sky could bid and win rights, however every single match would also have to be on free to air television. So it would be a bit pointless for them to do so.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recall reading such.

In theory, Sky could bid and win rights, however every single match would also have to be on free to air television. So it would be a bit pointless for them to do so.

Yes, I remember UKTVG2 (now Dave) showing some of the 2006 World Cup even though each match also appeared on the BBC or ITV.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/organgrinder/2006/mar/16/uktvtoshareworldcup
    Forum Member
    And just to add to the above, in theory Sky could also win exclusive rights but they would have to put every match on a channel which over 95% (?) of the population can access for free.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I remember UKTVG2 (now Dave) showing some of the 2006 World Cup even though each match also appeared on the BBC or ITV.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/organgrinder/2006/mar/16/uktvtoshareworldcup

Without looking at the article, I believe it was just the BBC matches that appeared on UKTVG2, I believe they "sublet" the rights to their games. They owned half the channel anyway, not too sure as to why they did it, maybe it was to give an alternative angle on the games, I dunno.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    BBC and ITV already have the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tv deals signed.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    The OP is probably thinking of Sky Italia
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    especially with a dedicated F1 channel (seriously, WTF?), but not a dedicated football one.

Evidently you've never seen Sky Sports.
    Forum Member
    Marti S wrote: »

It's been a bit of a fail all round, he must have woke up in the middle of the night and fancied an incorrect moan :)
  • djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably more thinking Sky New Zealand
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the RUGBY world cup
  • djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    especially with a dedicated F1 channel (seriously, WTF?), but not a dedicated football one. Someone please tell me I've heard wrong about the rights.
    How is that much different to Fox Sports running a motor sports channel in Speed and they don't even have the rights to F1. I am so glad that and Fueltv are closing down at the end of the month to make room for Fox Sports 4 & 5
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

In the UK we have a 'Crown Jewels' list, very much alike to the Australian 'Anti-Siphoning' rules for sporting events.
    And no, Sky have never been in for WC rights, they can't show them.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    the RUGBY world cup

That's also always been of FTA TV, and will be as far into the future as anyone can see.
    Forum Member
    It's been a bit of a fail all round, he must have woke up in the middle of the night and fancied an incorrect moan :)

I was reading Ian Darke's wiki article and read this under ESPN. (1st line)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Darke#ESPN
    I know it doesn't say they couldv'e secured the rights but to me that makes out that they bidded but failed.
    Forum Member
    djpower wrote: »
    How is that much different to Fox Sports running a motor sports channel in Speed and they don't even have the rights to F1. I am so glad that and Fueltv are closing down at the end of the month to make room for Fox Sports 4 & 5

They're not closing down, they're just rebranding. Same programming surely. Not sure what fresh, new, exciting sports programming you've heard about.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading Ian Darke's wiki article and read this under ESPN. (1st line)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Darke#ESPN
    I know it doesn't say they couldv'e secured the rights but to me that makes out that they bidded but failed.
    That's Wiki any idiot can write that. Just seems as if they mean "due to Sky not being a world cup rights holder Darke was free to work for ESPN".

And just becuase Sky has an F1 branded channel doesn't mean the sport of F1 has a greater level of coverage than football. There are contractual and logistical reasons that make sense for that channel to exist whilst their isn't a specific football one. Most UK sport channels simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for football. It's what Sky Sports, BT, ESPN UK, talk SPORT etc are or were basically built around.
    Forum Member
    djpower wrote: »

Plus, I'm not sure how by us HAVING those 2 channels, it is the same as Sky NOT HAVING a football channel. How are they connected? Not to mention, we do have a dedicated channel for our biggest sport. (AFL for UK guys)
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter if there is a "football" channel or not? Cant see the difference in whether "Sky Sports 1" shows a match, or if it is "Sky Sports Football".

What are you actually moaning about here now? Is it because your initial moan has turned out to be baseless in fact, so you are moving onto something else?
    Forum Member

And just becuase Sky has an F1 branded channel doesn't mean the sport of F1 has a greater level of coverage than football. There are contractual and logistical reasons that make sense for that channel to exist whilst their isn't a specific football one. Most UK sport channels simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for football. It's what Sky Sports, BT, ESPN UK, talk SPORT etc are or were basically built around.

Surely F1 DOES have a greater level of coverage than football, just not LIVE coverage. The channel runs 24/7 right? I'm curious as to what the contractual and logistical reasons might be for its existence. And I'm still left wondering why there isn't a football channel. Why wouldn't people want a 24/7 channel running Premier League Classics, latest round match replays/highlights, etc? Would people really prefer F1 replays?
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the context of this thread people might be interested to know that in 2002 in Spain only Spain matches and I believe selected others were actually available on TVE. IN the group stages the only other game other than for La Seleccion shown was England-Argentina, for instance.

The remainder were only available on Canal+

Whilst BBC and ITV have sorted out the next World Cup I could foresee a scenario either for the World Cup or European Championship whereby a smiliar situation as to that in Spain in 2002 played out. England matches and maybe one or two others available FTA, the remainder on Sky or BT or some such.

I hope not but factors such as greed and a desire to continue to milk football fans' pockets might conspire to make such a situation a reality here in the UK.
    Forum Member
    Surely F1 DOES have a greater level of coverage than football, just not LIVE coverage. The channel runs 24/7 right? I'm curious as to what the contractual and logistical reasons might be for its existence. And I'm still left wondering why there isn't a football channel. Why wouldn't people want a 24/7 channel running Premier League Classics, latest round match replays/highlights, etc? Would people really prefer F1 replays?

Again, does it really, really matter? Sky show plenty of non-live football content throughout the week.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »
    In the context of this thread people might be interested to know that in 2002 in Spain only Spain matches and I believe selected others were actually available on TVE. ....... I hope not but factors such as greed and a desire to continue to milk football fans' pockets might conspire to make such a situation a reality here in the UK.

That scenario is very plausible for the UK. Possibly Sky or BT would acquire t rights for 2022 with a FTA partner?

Its clear that the list of protected events will become less enforceable with time. It works at present with everybody's acceptance, but if one of the significant broadcasters opted not to ply, then the legal framework may prove to be very fickle.