Comments

• PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted - duplicate post
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man that Tony beat up because he thought he was having an affair with his wife, although his wife denied it, maybe they did have a fling? Do we know when the alleged affair was supposed to take place - was it before Emily was pregnant? Oliver could have been the result of that fling, which would make the man a suspect for abducting the boy, if he thought he was his son.

I just think there's more to it just than an alleged affair. When we saw the man in present day at the hospice there was something odd about him.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man that Tony beat up because he thought he was having an affair with his wife, although his wife denied it, maybe they did have a fling? Do we know when the alleged affair was supposed to take place - was it before Emily was pregnant? Oliver could have been the result of that fling, which would make the man a suspect for abducting the boy, if he thought he was his son.

I just think there's more to it just than an alleged affair. When we saw the man in present day at the hospice there was something odd about him.

I think someone mentioned 2003, and Emily's dad said something about Olly being 3 years old at the time.

And yes- every single character has had a "shifty looking" moment.

After earlier comments suggesting this should be wrapped up in 3 episodes, I'm guessing after 8 parts, we're going to be demanding more!
  • openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned 2003, and Emily's dad said something about Olly being 3 years old at the time.

After earlier comments suggesting this should be wrapped up in 3 episodes, I'm guessing after 8 parts, we're going to be demanding more!

Baptiste said the beating of Greg Halpern took place in 2000 when he was paid off with money from Tony's father-in-law. Ollie was 5 when he went missing in 2006 so I agree, he could well be Ollie's real dad. I think that will eventually come out as a reveal at the end to turn Tony's world upside down but I don't think Greg was involved in the abduction.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Mum's partner is Ollies real Dad.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »

I just hope that after 8 episodes we do know what happened! :)
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    The scarf is niggling me. Ollie wasn't wearing it when he went missing, it was shown to be in his mum's bag, so why have they forgotten that?
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Another point to make is we saw Emily find Ollie by the pool, presumably shortly after the supposed abduction? Does this mean she is in on it or was that not reality and just in her imagination?

My OH is wondering if the mum hugging Ollie by the pool was in fact real, and then we got a shot of her on her knees without him to make us think it was in her head. That way, even if he didn't have the elusive scarf at the time, he could have been given it shortly after, and then something else could have happened which led to him going missing, possibly involving her.... :confused:

My personal top suspects are the mum and the British policeman!
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Tonight's episode was really gripping. Found out the retired cop got his limp from a car crash and we now have footage of Ollie being taken! It's definitely heating up now, can't wait to see what happens next. :)

Did he get the limp from the crash? I'd been fixating on the limp as it was something that was being telegraphed between "then" and "now", but when he got out of the car, he seemed relatively unscathed. :confused: In fact, when he stood in the middle of the road, both myself and my OH thought he was going to get run over and turned to each other and said "maybe this is how he got the limp?"! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he get the limp from the crash? I'd been fixating on the limp as it was something that was being telegraphed between "then" and "now", but when he got out of the car, he seemed relatively unscathed. :confused: In fact, when he stood in the middle of the road, both myself and my OH thought he was going to get run over and turned to each other and said "maybe this is how he got the limp?"! :D

I too thought that he was going to be run over. :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was her imagination.. The next shot was a long shot of Emily on her knees slumped face down beside the pool. Alone.

While I accept that it was probably her imagination, there could be a more sinister explanation.

And I completely missed where the video came from at the end, and why it's only just surfaced. So conveniently.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member

My OH and I have been speculating on his limp too.

We thought he might get shot in the leg after the undercover cop was found killed at the train station (when he was chasing on foot) and then we thought he got the limp from the car crash after the chase ... when we saw close-ups of the actor's legs getting out of the car we were steeling ourselves, thinking 'He's in shot and doesn't realise he's damaged his leg, but as soon as he puts his weight on it it's going to snap!'

But nope, it doesn't seem like we've been told how he got his limp yet - if indeed we ever are told ... it may have nothing to do with police work, and might have something to do with the person mentioned in this week's episode who he worried may have 'hurt' his wife when they turned up at their door.

I notice that there was a photograph of a little girl on the detective's desk that we've seen a few times - maybe it's their daughter who has now grown up and either has mental health issues or a drug problem - either explaining why there'd be a worry she would hurt his wife.

Roll on next week! :)
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    serafimo wrote: »
    There was a moment with Emily preparing a lesson plan in the present day last night - was it her subs and a shot of transactions on their joint account?

Good call, I didn't think about a joint account but I've been having another look and the document is addressed to Tony only. Also, there are what looks like two mobile phone contract debit debits. Could it be he has a secret (from his wife) phone for dodgy stuff? But again, that could be explained by a joint account but wouldn't she notice this supposed large pay off to the guy Tony beat up? Maybe she doesn't check the statements?

I can't see any large debits on the statements that would cover these payments that have supposed to been made to shut the guy up though! :confused:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was during the day. After swimming when his Dad was dressing him we see him wrap the scarf round the boy.

I find it hard to believe the parents are involved mainly because of their reactions to the abduction at the time it happened but subsequently the mother's reaction to the father continuing to search and finding such a clue seems preposterous. I understand she needs to move on, but how could she ever really do so.

The father seems the most innocent in that he is clearly devoting his life to finding his son but the revelation about the violence and even more significant to me, conspiring with his father in law to keep it quiet and not even telling his wife shows a side that makes me wonder about him very much.

Then there's the wife's new partner who actually fits the bill even more from the perspective of odd behaviour but he couldn't have known where the Dad and boy would be, and that's the crux. Who would know they would be standing at the busy bar at that exact time? Which leads me to think it's random and not planned and therefore it's more a case of 'who's the paedophile'? The mayor, policemen, wives of officials, builder . . .

Or a conspiracy of paedophiles, or relatives of the boy :confused: Even the mother's now dead dad is looking guilty.

I've come to the complete opposite conclusion. I think it was all carefully planned as some kind of revenge against Tony. I don't think Tony and Emily were involved in the abduction, their reactions at finding their child missing appear to be genuine. But perhaps Emily has since found out that Oliver is safe, and will remain so providing she doesn't try looking for him too hard. That would explain her strange disinterest in Tony's efforts to find out the truth ?
    The Ken Stott character is my favourite to have arranged it all, but I have no idea why. He used his money and influence to get close to the parents, under the pretext of helping them, but I think he was just enjoying watching Tony suffer. The problem with my theory there is, I don't think we've seen Ken Stott in the present day ?

There's just too much to take in, fun though. :)
  • pookiesboopookiesboo Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a paedo ring operating and Ken Stott character and George the Mayor are also involved. When Ken Stott character was painting and saying "hello sweetheart" I was convinced the episode would end with it showing him painting a child or something. The end shot we actually was just as bad. Definitely think though its some sort of ring and the garage where they took their broken down car at the start tipped the ring off.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely far fetched! That ending was so ridiculously unbelievable, it's put a real dampener on my enjoyment of the programme.

I don't think finding a home video of a party that night was too difficult to believe. The writers cleverly arranged it to happen on the night of the Word Cup final, so there would have been parties everywhere in France. Managing to find a few shots of the missing boy in the window opposite was a bit of a stretch though I must admit.
    Unless you watch CSI or Law and Order SVU, where something similar appears to happen every week. :)

Still, I can live with a few unlikely plot devices, it's still a gripping series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think finding a home video of a party that night was too difficult to believe. The writers cleverly arranged it to happen on the night of the Word Cup final, so there would have been parties everywhere in France. Managing to find a few shots of the missing boy in the window opposite was a bit of a stretch though I must admit.
    Unless you watch CSI or Law and Order SVU, where something similar appears to happen every week. :)

Still, I can live with a few unlikely plot devices, it's still a gripping series.

I agree. It wasn't until the house where Oliver was found was identified that the police went round asking questions of people in neighbouring houses.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    What do we think has happened to the character of Ken Stott in the intervening years?

As far as I recall, haven't we met all the major players now both in 2006 and present day, apart from him? I wonder if he's dead now, or the writers are 'saving him up' for nearer the climax?

I was dying to see what he was painting - who the 'sweetheart' of his subject was. Could be a massive revelation, or it could be nothing.

Or it could be a painting of his childhood sledge ;-)
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pookiesboo wrote: »
    I think there's a paedo ring operating and Ken Stott character and George the Mayor are also involved. When Ken Stott character was painting and saying "hello sweetheart" I was convinced the episode would end with it showing him painting a child or something. The end shot we actually was just as bad. Definitely think though its some sort of ring and the garage where they took their broken down car at the start tipped the ring off.

Good theory about the garage. Also the warehouse in yesterdays episode had a working cctv in it. It was where they probably did the assault and filmed it.

Yes, why have they not shown Ken in the present. Is he in prison!
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    What do we think has happened to the character of Ken Stott in the intervening years?

As far as I recall, haven't we met all the major players now both in 2006 and present day, apart from him? I wonder if he's dead now, or the writers are 'saving him up' for nearer the climax?

I was dying to see what he was painting - who the 'sweetheart' of his subject was. Could be a massive revelation, or it could be nothing.

Or it could be a painting of his childhood sledge ;-)

ha ha ha!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It certainly is, five more episodes, lots more twists to come.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Good theory about the garage. Also the warehouse in yesterdays episode had a working cctv in it. It was where they probably did the assault and filmed it.

Yes, why have they not shown Ken in the present. Is he in prison!

I have been watching the vice on ITV3 ken Stott looks so young and slim, it must be a very old series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    Good call, I didn't think about a joint account but I've been having another look and the document is addressed to Tony only. Also, there are what looks like two mobile phone contract debit debits. Could it be he has a secret (from his wife) phone for dodgy stuff?

Good catch.

The phone call Tony receives at the start of episode 1 has bugged me all along. Why did he need to get out of the car to take it?

Ollie's fox has featured so much it is practically the fourth member of the family. Maybe Tony had hidden contraband in it before travelling to France?

In his flashback to the abduction it shows him looking for Ollie in the toilet block. Perhaps the missing 9 minutes was when he was making a handover in the toilet block instead?

His wife mentions trying to find the fox before Ollie is found as he will be looking for it. Tony gives out a groan. It reinforces not only did he lose Ollie on his watch, he lost him while carrying out an illegal deal (which the journo may have got wind of - I know what you did).

Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    openarms wrote: »
    Good catch.

The phone call Tony receives at the start of episode has bugged me all along. Why did he need to get out of the car to take it?

Ollie's fox has featured so much it is practically the fourth member of the family. Maybe Tony had hidden contraband in it before travelling to France?

In his flashback to the abduction it shows him looking for Ollie in the toilet block. Perhaps the missing 9 minutes was when he was making a handover in the toilet block instead?

His wife mentions trying to find the fox before Ollie is found as he will be looking for it. Tony gives out a groan. It reinforces not only did he lose Ollie on his watch, he lost him while carrying out an illegal deal (which the journo may have got wind of - I know what you did).

Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed.

The award for the best far out whacky but fun theory goes to .........you
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

France Brazil 2006 was a massive game so yes there would realistically have been loads of footage of people celebrating locally. The boy in the window doesn't bother me that much; the cops are at this stage already focusing on one particular house in one particular street, so they're already using the finest comb at their disposal.

Re some of the characters: I don't trust Emily. Look how she immediately changed the subject when the alleged affair was brought up in the hotel, and what a hideously cruel thing she then says to her own husband.
    Her way of "getting on with life" doesn't sound particularly convincing either.

I wouldn't touch the liaison officer with a stick either - he looked dodgy from the second he came on screen.

Am loving all the little red herrings. Julien's car crash - did any of you watch that scene through your fingers? I did, I was expecting something rather gruesome :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    The award for the best far out whacky but fun theory goes to .........you

I'm serious :D

Johnny the Fox is awol.