Last Airbender & Golden Compass!

cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
Forum Member
Loved both these movies but both are meant to be trilogies. Anyone know when the remaining films are due?

Comments

• DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both underperformed at the box office ....sequel's are not happening
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they decided not to make the next part of Golden Compass because of poor box office takings. I'm not sure whether it's the same for the Last Airbender, I thought they'd actually shot the movie already so maybe it's being released directly to dvd..not sure
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are not due.The Last Airbender suffered terribly from exposition and felt the need to explain everything to the audience in detail rather than just letting us get on and watch the thing - this caused it to be panned quite a bit and resulted in a bit of a mistake so no sequel.

Unsure why compass failed but it didn't do well so won't be returning Lyra for a start is all grown up now :)
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seren13 wrote: »
    I think they decided not to make the next part of Golden Compass because of poor box office takings. I'm not sure whether it's the same for the Last Airbender, I thought they'd actually shot the movie already so maybe it's being released directly to dvd..not sure
    The Last Airbender was critically panned so that's another reason its not getting a theatrical sequel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed The Golden Compass, but then I don't always agree with the critics and I haven't read the books so have nothing to compare the movie to.
    I needed to buy some holiday reading anyway so I think I might give the trilogy a look
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seren13 wrote: »
    I enjoyed The Golden Compass, but then I don't always agree with the critics and I haven't read the books so have nothing to compare the movie to.
    I needed to buy some holiday reading anyway so I think I might give the trilogy a look

Northern Lights was reasonably close to the movie as I recall although the very end is somewhat different. I can't remember exactly but different characters die in the movie. The depiction of the armoured bear and Lyra's mischief were spot on from my interpretation of the book though.

The Subtle Knife was an excellent read set largely in the "other" world.

But I found the Amber Spyglass a bit of a chore to be honest. Too much love story for Lyra and general god themes and less adventure for my tastes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    considering the golden compass didn't even finish properly and did poorly in the box office there is more chance of a remake than a sequel
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Book 3 would have been pretty much unfilmable without some massive changes, imho, so I'm sort of glad it never got made.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Golden Compass is a strange one because it underperformed in the US but was a big hit internationally, and ended up with somewhere near $400m on a $180m budget. The problem was, New Line Cinema sold the overseas rights while the film was in production to cover its costs, so they never saw more than its US takings.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    considering the golden compass didn't even finish properly and did poorly in the box office there is more chance of a remake than a sequel

I'm gagging for HBO to pick it up and do something with it, they wouldbn't flinch from handling the more controversial themes and (as with Game Of Thrones) would be able to pace things better and allow a full and fleshed out adaptation.

I generally enjoyed the film The Golden Compass, up until the point they completely pussied out on the ending.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Northern Lights was reasonably close to the movie as I recall although the very end is somewhat different. I can't remember exactly but different characters die in the movie. The depiction of the armoured bear and Lyra's mischief were spot on from my interpretation of the book though.

The Subtle Knife was an excellent read set largely in the "other" world.

But I found the Amber Spyglass a bit of a chore to be honest. Too much love story for Lyra and general god themes and less adventure for my tastes.

The end isn't different so much as they stopped it before the book does if I remember
    (ie before Roger gets killed)

I thought the film was ok, but the overall series works i think much better as a book, and it was a case of the film companies trying to jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon, which also happened with other films which failed.. like that Percy Jacson film etc.

edit: Although I see they are making a sequel to Percy Jackson...
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    The Golden Compass was dreadful, I blame Nicole Kidman. :p
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    The end isn't different so much as they stopped it before the book does if I remember
    (ie before Roger gets killed)

I thought the film was ok, but the overall series works i think much better as a book, and it was a case of the film companies trying to jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon, which also happened with other films which failed.. like that Percy Jacson film etc.

edit: Although I see they are making a sequel to Percy Jackson...

They have been saying that for ages so I had to look it up myself and wow they are actually doing it - I thought Lerman would look too old now.

Anthony Head is taking over Pierce Brosnan from the looks of it :) and they have seriously miscast Clarisse.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw The Golden Compass as I had read every mention of religion was removed from the film which, considering what the book was about both explicitly and implicitly, makes a mockery of the whole business. It deserved to fail and the blame should be put on the ridiculous amount of power Fundamentalist Christians have in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks sums it up well.

The studio wanted The Golden Compass watered down, it's a film that I think succeded despite this interference.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixture of poor box office takings and moaning religious zealots prevented "The Subtle Knife" from being adapted.
    But, the film didn't help itself!
    It had a very strong cast. Dakota Blue-Richards was an awesome find (and has continued to prove it in Skins). Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig were the perfect Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriel. The effects were good, in fact everything could have gone good.
    So, what went wrong?
    For me, the producers behind the movie were too scared of religious zealots spitting out their dummies. The books claim that the higher Authority is a fraud, and took credit for what was already created. I haven't read them in a while, but I don't believe they even mention "God" by name. Because of this, the film suffers.
    Plus, the ending was screwed up, big time. The book has a clear three act structure, all leading up to the horrible murder at the end (won't elaborate more). It also leads nicely into "The Subtle Knife," which is told from another character's viewpoint as they meet up with Lyra some time later. The film ends before the final confrontation with Lord Asriel, meaning a potential adaptation of the Subtle Knife would have first have had to deal with that, which would have been bloody difficult to squeeze in. TSK is big enough!
    Rant over.