Options

Kendra - Not overly liking her.

Gemma is drawing the attention, because of that awful gob of hers, but Kendra isn't coming across as sweetness and light either. She's just not getting a lot of focus yet.

Couple of comments this evening that marked her out as an attention seeker. One regarding 'other women in the camp and liking being one of the only two', then the 'where will she sleep' comment.

I think she has a quite spiteful streak in her, however it's early days and I could be completely wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachelette wrote: »
    Gemma is drawing the attention, because of that awful gob of hers, but Kendra isn't coming across as sweetness and light either. She's just not getting a lot of focus yet.

Couple of comments this evening that marked her out as an attention seeker. One regarding 'other women in the camp and liking being one of the only two', then the 'where will she sleep' comment.

I think she has a quite spiteful streak in her, however it's early days and I could be completely wrong.

I did pick up on the fact that she reckoned the Irish girl is her competition and she would have to be getting some sit ups in in order to body compete with her, or something like that.

There is another thread on here that is asking who our favourites are at present, I nearly excluded Kendra in that, but said in the end that I like all of them so far.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. She seems quite crude, annoying and attention-seeking; it was clear at the hotel that she she saw herself as a reality star who knew how things worked in such shows; and when Mel and Jimmy came in with the letters Kendra's attitude seemed to be that they'd better have done their part, because Kendra and Co had jumped and "risked their lives". I think Kendra may be quick to turn on someone for not "doing their part".

The more I see of Kendra, the less I like her.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Is she the woman suffering from 'like-itis'? A very common malady, nowadays, I realise.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    First impression of her yesterday, I didn't like her, and during tonight's show that was pretty well endorsed, with her attitude to other women :o.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like her comment about Vicki Michelle being a good choice to save as she - 'Seems Mumsy, and would probably help around the camp.'

She only seems to value people by what they can do for her. I'm not liking anything about her so far.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The anti Kendra theme started quicker than I thought as sure as Day follows night it is the same every year.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her either, but then she's a product of her environment and experience, isn't she? You have to be a certain kind of person to pride yourself on being "one of Hef's girlfriends" I should think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    The anti Kendra theme started quicker than I thought as sure as Day follows night it is the same every year.

Often, I'd agree with you about such things, but I don't think that's what's happening here.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh, and the first White knight in a thread, same every Reality show.

Rather than go for that tired argument, try saying something positive about Kendra. There's not a great deal so far. I thought the Nadia comments were probably Jokey TBH, yet there's not a lot else to her is there? Apart from talking up good old Hef, and telling us her relationship with him was different then the other girls. Oh but she was still on the sex rota. Maybe that shouldn't be condemned but it's not exactly pleasant to many.

Mel is popular and she's ten-times better looking. Nadia seems to have gained fans too, despite being unknown.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Often, I'd agree with you about such things, but I don't think that's what's happening here.

Thanks, I hope I have it wrong but we will see.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I am not particularly liking her as she seems to get jealous easily as was apparent when there was the discussion about who should come in from the jungle jail. She is apprehensive about Nadia coming into the main camp.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

Meaning?

I'm not too keen on her for the reasons already stated.

She came across as arrogant yesterday, putting herself up as the 'reality show guru' without knowing the other contestants histories.
    She already seems to dislike Nadia without meeting her as she views her as competition and there is enough of that already with Mel

She gives the impression that she assumed she'd be the prettiest, sexiest girl in there and be assured of a certain amount of leeway (and popularity) because of it and is now striking out as realises it might not be the case.

First impressions can be wrong so I might take this back in coming days but it is my perception of her so far.

And it has nothing to do with jealousy or bitchiness because she is a pretty young girl as I think Nadia is lovely.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, and the first White knight in a thread, same every Reality show.

Rather than go for that tired argument, try saying something positive about Kendra. There's not a great deal so far. I thought the Nadia comments were probably Jokey TBH, yet there's not a lot else to her is there? Apart from talking up good old Hef, and telling us her relationship with him was different then the other girls. Oh but she was still on the sex rota. Maybe that shouldn't be condemned but it's not exactly pleasant to many.

Mel is popular and she's ten-times better looking. Nadia seems to have gained fans too, despite being unknown.

I agree with this. I've not seen anything to endear Kendra to me so far. Ok she's not as irritating as Gemma but she's probably the other one I'm not seeing anything likeable about yet.
    As you say, Mel is a very good looking woman and she's very popular but the difference is that Mel seems to be acting like a grown up, getting stuck in and making the most of the experience so far rather than sulking and talking about other women's bodies.
    Nadia I'd never heard of before the show but she seems a decent enough girl and gets huge credit for being the only one to give the knitting a proper go while Gemma acted like a brat. I'd actually give her a lit of credit for not telling Gemma to STFU yet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    No I am not particularly liking her as she seems to get jealous easily as was apparent when there was the discussion about who should come in from the jungle jail. She is apprehensive about Nadia coming into the main camp.

Poor old Kendra. I really think she was trying to make a joke at her own expense there. Only she doesn't seem to have a talent for comic timing, so it didn't really come off.

I think these shows are tough on people like Kendra. She won't really get a lot of their conversation and jokes, and she knows that people think her background sounds a bit grubby rather than enviable.

Still, we'll get to know her better over time.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that too WD - I had the impression she was trying to be self-deprecating, but as you said, she missed the mark a little. I've read that she's in the process of splitting with her husband after he cheated on her, so I'm giving her some leeway - it must be a tough time.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to her Nadia comment, Kendra has two young children, and after the birth of her first child, had serious self-esteem issues over her weight. She's also not in a great place personally at the moment. So rather than being spiteful or rude, I'd imagine it's more the self-esteem issues rearing their head again.

I've seen her in plenty of shows before, and really like her. She's far more than just a "playboy bunny."
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    With regards to her Nadia comment, Kendra has two young children, and after the birth of her first child, had serious self-esteem issues over her weight. She's also not in a great place personally at the moment. So rather than being spiteful or rude, I'd imagine it's more the self-esteem issues rearing their head again.

I've seen her in plenty of shows before, and really like her. She's far more than just a "playboy bunny."

I thought she came across as a little vulnerable and suffering from low self-esteem when she made the comments about Nadia, she seems to have a bit of a hard edge on the surface but I feel a little sorry for her. Don't suppose being a playboy model at some old wrinkly codgers beck and call from the age of 18 has helped, her whole (short) adult life has probably been spent in competition with other girls. I don't think she's a girls' girl if you know what I mean and that will cause her problems in that camp.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point MM - perhaps that's why she seemed desperate to point out that she was "different" from the other girls and was more of a friend to Hugh - who probably just saw her as another hole-on-a-stick.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she came across as a little vulnerable and suffering from low self-esteem when she made the comments about Nadia, she seems to have a bit of a hard edge on the surface but I feel a little sorry for her. Don't suppose being a playboy model at some old wrinkly codgers beck and call from the age of 18 has helped, her whole (short) adult life has probably been spent in competition with other girls. I don't think she's a girls' girl if you know what I mean and that will cause her problems in that camp.
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Good point MM - perhaps that's why she seemed desperate to point out that she was "different" from the other girls and was more of a friend to Hugh - who probably just saw her as another hole-on-a-stick.

Yep. She's very much a tomboy, loves her sport. It's worth reading up about her. She's not perfect, and has made her mistakes, but she's not had the easiest of lives. She seemed to really settle when she got married and had her kids, but now that's all up in the air. I feel sorry for her. I hope she does well in the show, and I think she has the potential to.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member

Early days yet but I like her honesty :)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I thought that too WD - I had the impression she was trying to be self-deprecating, but as you said, she missed the mark a little. I've read that she's in the process of splitting with her husband after he cheated on her, so I'm giving her some leeway - it must be a tough time.

I'd never heard of her before, but according to what I've read on the Internet the whole affair/divorce thing was a publicity stunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Kendra. I really think she was trying to make a joke at her own expense there. Only she doesn't seem to have a talent for comic timing, so it didn't really come off.

I think these shows are tough on people like Kendra. She won't really get a lot of their conversation and jokes, and she knows that people think her background sounds a bit grubby rather than enviable.

Still, we'll get to know her better over time.

She's a reality tv veteran who's well aware of that and has already indicated that she thinks she knows how such shows work. She's already indulged in airtime-grabbing re her supposed fear of heights. Apart from Gemma, Kendra is easily the most irritating and attention-seeking.

Her comments re Nadia are not the only thing that raise suspicions. They aren't even her only comments about other women that raise suspicions.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too early to judge yet, I think it's interesting she seems to be honest with herself and that is a good thing.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could it be, you know, that people just don't like her for reasons that are perfectly valid?

Just a thought.