Allow shops to open longer on Sunday's

simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why don't the government change the law to allow shops to open longer on a Sunday in the run up to Christmas, say the last four Sunday's. :)

The law is very restrictive only 6 hours. It wouldn't hurt for the busiest time of year would it.

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think they should open normal hours all year round now it's not like Sundays are like they used to be it's just a normal day.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should open normal hours all year round now it's not like Sundays are like they used to be it's just a normal day.

Agree... And I don't get why late-night shopping is still on Thursday's, surely it would make more sense to have it on Friday or Saturday when people don't have work/school the next day.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Agree... And I don't get why late-night shopping is still on Thursday's, surely it would make more sense to have it on Friday or Saturday when people don't have work/school the next day.

Late night is Wednesdays here but I agree Saturday would be better
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just
    last time
    then

as they will this time
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no such thing as "late night Wednesdays/Thursdays" here, shopping centres are open til 9pm Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays here.

I found it amusing when I was in Sunderland and they made a big deal about the shopping centre opening til 9pm in the run up til Christmas on Thursdays because I would have taken it as a matter of course here.

Be thankful you can still get to shops on Sundays, parts of Europe are just a virtual shutdown on Sundays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random apostrophe alert.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random apostrophe alert.

Punctuation Nazi alert :p
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we'll see the shopping laws relaxed all together at some point. shops will open all week round and, most likely, we'll have shops opening on christmas day as well.

can't really see a problem with it to be honest - i'm surprised IDS isn't already making plans to force it through so more people can be forced into work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punctuation Nazi alert :p

I think referring to anyone as a Nazi of any kind ought to be confined to actual Nazis.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Are the shops not open long enough throughout the week? I don't see the problem with the 6 hour trading on a Sunday, the majority of supermarkets are open for 8am on Monday morning until 10pm on Saturday night, continually.

I also don't understand why they open on Boxing Day either, the amount of money people spend on food in the run up to Christmas and they will still be there queuing before the store opens on Boxing Day
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree with the OP, in principle, longer Sunday trading hours would affect my business (which benefits most when all the other shops are shut), so I'd vote no for selfish reasons :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the shops not open long enough throughout the week? I don't see the problem with the 6 hour trading on a Sunday, the majority of supermarkets are open for 8am on Monday morning until 10pm on Saturday night, continually.

I also don't understand why they open on Boxing Day either, the amount of money people spend on food in the run up to Christmas and they will still be there queuing before the store opens on Boxing Day

Boxing Day is the UK equivalent of Black Friday in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

We have more in common with the Americans than people think :D:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allowing IDS to stay in office constitutes nothing short of fraud.

I think the situation is now so incredibly contrived and farcical it's like something scripted for The Thick of It, or some other political satire.

The sad thing is Universal Credit is obviously a great idea in theory, on paper. The existing/old system is obviously utterly crap.. but.. given the levels of mismanagement, wastage and error with UC.. why are they still pushing forward?

Are there any Tories here that still like IDS? If so, for the love of God why?! :confused: :eek:
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we were looking for an assistant manager when I ran a charity shop, we had planned for the shop to be opened on Sundays and as I was not prepared as manager to work every Sunday, it was part of the contract that my assistant manager would have to work every other Sunday on a rota with me.

We had a lot of applicants from woman with families and quite frankly not one wanted to work on Sunday (in fact one of them admitted she only applied for the job as she knew the shop wasn't open on Sunday).

We had one who couldn't even work Saturday let alone Sunday as she couldn't get childcare, others didn't want to work Sunday as it was the only day they had with their families the reasons were many and varied.

Trouble is of course you cant discriminate against Mothers with children, but what can you do if they wont or cant work the days you want them to.

Its ok for the larger stores who have more staff and can offer people Sunday working every 5/6 weeks as they can cover the other ones but other shops would struggle to find people to work a full day on Sunday.

Its not just a religious thing, but as I have said Childcare, transport (Sunday Services may not get people to work on time) and just the fact that the rest of the family are at school/work Monday to Friday and people need family time make Sunday working difficult

In the end we did get someone to work every other Sunday but she was one of the few who actually didn't mind doing it.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think referring to anyone as a Nazi of any kind ought to be confined to actual Nazis.
    Pedantic and humourless? :rolleyes:
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Although people cant be that desperate for items they can't wait one day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I agree. Although people cant be that desperate for items they can't wait one day

True. While agree that some people might be working nights and late opening might be their only choice, surely it won't hurt them to just wait three days over Christmas( Chrstmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day) and anther three days over the new year (new years eve/new yeas day and bank holiday day)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

this!

I used to work in a shop. luckily it didn't open on Sundays.

I would've refused anyway. and probably would've been fired.... despite there apparently being some kind of rule about having the right to refuse working on a Sunday.

It's not fair on the staff. So I never go shopping on a Sunday.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd really rather see the stores open longer hours during the week and closed on Sundays. Can't we have one day a week as a rest from consumerism? Never mind. I already know the answer :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this!

I used to work in a shop. luckily it didn't open on Sundays.

I would've refused anyway. and probably would've been fired.... despite there apparently being some kind of rule about having the right to refuse working on a Sunday.

It's not fair on the staff. So I never go shopping on a Sunday.

What if the staff work Sunday-Thursday and have Friday and Saturday off? (etc)

Some people work 6 days a week and the only day they have off to shop is Sunday.

My point is not everybody is like you, so your argument is flawed when applied to everyone.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't really think its necessary but I can see it happening in the coming years.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    When we were looking for an assistant manager when I ran a charity shop, we had planned for the shop to be opened on Sundays and as I was not prepared as manager to work every Sunday, it was part of the contract that my assistant manager would have to work every other Sunday on a rota with me.

We had a lot of applicants from woman with families and quite frankly not one wanted to work on Sunday (in fact one of them admitted she only applied for the job as she knew the shop wasn't open on Sunday).

We had one who couldn't even work Saturday let alone Sunday as she couldn't get childcare, others didn't want to work Sunday as it was the only day they had with their families the reasons were many and varied.

Trouble is of course you cant discriminate against Mothers with children, but what can you do if they wont or cant work the days you want them to.

Its ok for the larger stores who have more staff and can offer people Sunday working every 5/6 weeks as they can cover the other ones but other shops would struggle to find people to work a full day on Sunday.

Its not just a religious thing, but as I have said Childcare, transport (Sunday Services may not get people to work on time) and just the fact that the rest of the family are at school/work Monday to Friday and people need family time make Sunday working difficult

In the end we did get someone to work every other Sunday but she was one of the few who actually didn't mind doing it.

I don't think there's any suggestion shops must open on Sunday, only they should be allowed if they so chose.

Afterall, there are no restrictions at any other time or day in the week and yet the vast majority of stores still don't open 24/7. My local shopping centre closes at 6.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    I don't think there's any suggestion shops must open on Sunday, only they should be allowed if they so chose.

Afterall, there are no restrictions at any other time or day in the week and yet the vast majority of stores still don't open 24/7. My local shopping centre closes at 6.

I'm guessing some shops feel they must because all their competion does.
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland doesn't have restricted Sunday trading hours and it works just fine for us. The arguments about Sunday service buses or whatever aren't very great arguments. Tried and tested in Scotland.

I often work 12/13/14 hour shifts on Sundays because lots of people prefer having that day off so I reap all of the overtime. No idea if it's written in law here to be allowed Sundays off for religious reasons but my work contract does say I can refuse to work Sunday.

Sunday is generally the day people here would prefer to take off during their working week and rarely because if religious reasons.

Me being completely flexible during the weekend means I can work a fair chunk of my contracted hours on Sat and Sun, giving me more weekday time off for when shops are open for business. I like it this way but not always so good when you've been out on the piss the night before.