NFC Have you tried it yet?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickmack wrote: »
    I've used contactless bank cards for a while now and Google Wallet on my phone as well.

I do believe this will catch on, as more stores update their payment card readers. At the moment it's mostly fast food outlets and coffee shops that seem to have the NFC readers.

The integration with mobile devices will be crucial. At the moment, Google Wallet requires you to type your PIN before swiping your phone over the reader. This defeats the object of speed and simplicity somewhat. It really needs to be a Single Sign On with your phone PIN, so when the phone is unlocked, NFC transactions require no additional authorisation.

All fine as long as we get a choice not to use it. a mate of mine got one of these chips on his card and he did not want it, but got no choice in the matter. the only thing he can do apart from getting rid of the card itself is to get it so it needs a pin every time it is used.

it seems strange that we went with this chip and pin system so we can be more secure and now the banks are trying to force a system onto us which is less secure.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    All fine as long as we get a choice not to use it. a mate of mine got one of these chips on his card and he did not want it, but got no choice in the matter. the only thing he can do apart from getting rid of the card itself is to get it so it needs a pin every time it is used.

it seems strange that we went with this chip and pin system so we can be more secure and now the banks are trying to force a system onto us which is less secure.

Don't you think your 'friend' was maybe taking it a bit to far?

He doesn't have to use it!! He could just use it as a normal card :confused:
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Aren't those cards RFID and not NFC ?

I just tried my passport and my One X and it read it. I installed a NFC app and it says it can read RFID.

Wow. The app I downloaded reads the RFID chip in my passport and come up with some numbers and stuff, but asks for a key. Click on that and it asked for my passport number, DOB and expiry of the passport. Entered that and swiped it again and it came up with all the data on my passport, name nationality and even the photograph! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Just read the first couple of reviews on the new iPhone 5 and its surprised its first reviewers by NOT having NFC - Wonder if Apple see no future in NFC or Apple will get left behind as the rest of the world embraces NFC - We will just have to wait and see!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple haven't invented NFC until next year, and the iPhone 5S.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Don't you think your 'friend' was maybe taking it a bit to far?

He doesn't have to use it!! He could just use it as a normal card :confused:

What he is worried about and I agree with him on this is if he lost the card then it would be easy for someone to pick it up, take it to where ever they accept these things and use it.
    No security until a certain amount of uses at £15 a time and I hear they are going to up the amount again.

I would do the same thing if one was forced onto me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the first couple of reviews on the new iPhone 5 and its surprised its first reviewers by NOT having NFC - Wonder if Apple see no future in NFC or Apple will get left behind as the rest of the world embraces NFC - We will just have to wait and see!

I thought the Iphone would have had NFc by now, since some countries use it a fair bit, I think it is only the UK where NFC have not really taken off.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    What he is worried about and I agree with him on this is if he lost the card then it would be easy for someone to pick it up, take it to where ever they accept these things and use it.
    No security until a certain amount of uses at £15 a time and I hear they are going to up the amount again.

There is that risk but I believe as long as you report your card as stolen/lost to your bank then you would not be liable for any rogue charges.

I assume your friend does not carry cash in his wallet for the same reason?
    Forum Member
    I thought the Iphone would have had NFc by now, since some countries use it a fair bit, I think it is only the UK where NFC have not really taken off.

Can’t see why I would want it in phone to be honest – I understand that my debit card will eventually and that makes sense but can’t see why my phone would need it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    There is that risk but I believe as long as you report your card as stolen/lost to your bank then you would not be liable for any rogue charges.

If you notice it missing in time.
    when I last lost my Debit card, i was lucky that I notice it within half a hour as I went to have a coffee with a mate and noticed it was not in my wallet. I knew where I left it, in one of those self service machines in Argos, when I went back it was gone and not be handed in.

I went to my bank and it was canceled.

but what if it was a NFC card and I did not go for a coffee after and went straight home, it could have been a few hours before I noticed. Plenty of time for who ever took it to buy a few things if it did not ask for my pin.

Because it is chip and pin, the chance of anyone getting money out of my account is pretty slim, sure it can be done, but not by your average opportunity thief
    I assume your friend does not carry cash in his wallet for the same reason?

He carries some around, but not enough so if he loses the wallet which is a lot harder to do than a card, it will not affect him much.

I carry cash, I prefer cash to cards to be honest, I need cash for bread in our local bakery as they don't accept cards and for my milkman because they don't accept cards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can’t see why I would want it in phone to be honest – I understand that my debit card will eventually and that makes sense but can’t see why my phone would need it.

i don't want it in a debit card either. i certainly would not want it in a phone, I know it can be turned off, but still would not want it.

thankfully the phones I go for which is around the £150 mark don't have them and I doubt they will for a few years yet and also vodafone don't seem to bother with NFC anyway on their phones.

Strange that is mind you, do that mean that vodafone have them disabled via firmware on their phones?

i don't think myself that this NFc is going to come to much, it have taken far too long to catch on, look at chip and pin and how quick that came and yet NFC been around for years and still very few banks give the cards out.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how the payment system works, but I have to unlock my phone to get the NFC tags to register.

If your phone auto locks after a short while like mine, then I am guessing that anyone who pinches it/finds it will have to unlock the phone to use the NFC functionality.
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    Not sure how the payment system works, but I have to unlock my phone to get the NFC tags to register.

If your phone auto locks after a short while like mine, then I am guessing that anyone who pinches it/finds it will have to unlock the phone to use the NFC functionality.

I would say most people don't password lock their phones though
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure it requires a button push to authorise, which is a bonus over the cards that do it and can just be scanned by touching next to the wallet.

However there's a very low limit on transactions like £15 and the retailer is liable for any unauthorised transactions used on their terminals, so even if a dodgy person used a certain device to scan cards the card company / bank would re-credit you and take the money from the retailer for allowing their terminal to be used to scan for unauthorised transactions.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

If you have lost your card and it happens they refund it no questions asked. So, what exactly is the issue here?
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If a person doesn't autolock their phone and it gets used illegally, I will find it very hard to feel sorry for them. Its a bit like leaving your front door open and hoping that no one goes in.

Personally I have a SIM lock and PIN lock and my phone locks after 2 minutes of non use. It can be a pain, but not half as bad as the consequences of someone getting access to everything I have on there.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the biggest risk I have on my phone is I can use the Zipcar app to drive away with a hire car. It has a password on the app, but even so, I do wonder if its an accident waiting to happen. Still, the alternative, the card (possibly also NFC), doesn't even have a password. Almost impossible to tell which car I had booked just from the card though.

edit: oh another one, just crying out for NFC usage. The Boris bikes use a key fob to let you take out a bike, again no password. So if you lose your key fob, you can be potentially billed for £300 for non-return of a bike.

(hmm.... * goes to play with Bike key fob and NFC tablet* )
  • TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't live in a big city so don't use my contactless card very often, but will always use it when I can, it just saves time.

I'm pretty sure all payment apps (Google Wallet does) will require a code to open it up, so it will be more secure to use NFC on a phone than a card.

My only concern is waving an expensive phone around as payment, but I guess most people are on their phone all the time anyway so it's not a big deal to them.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    then the best way to stop that happening is not to have NFC in the first place.
    But then you lose the convenience. Having it in a phone is more convenient than having it in a card, and also more secure.
    Some people think Apple are working on their own version, that will be incompatible with everyone else's.

I agree the new iPhone not having it is a surprise, and a set-back.
    For me it should be more convenient, because I have my phone with me always regardless, and will hopefully reduce the number of cards I carry. For example, I currently carry a pre-paid bus card which I'd happily leave behind. A single phone can do the work of any number of cards. It's not limited to cash.

I talked about it being more secure earlier in the thread.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bank with Barclay's have a contactless debit card And a galaxy s3 not at all familiar with nfc, What do i need to download?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    I bank with Barclay's have a contactless debit card And a galaxy s3 not at all familiar with nfc, What do i need to download?

early days yet. But if you're with Orange, start here:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/contactless/overview.jsp
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not with orange, I'm with vodafone unfortunately. I'm sure I read that they were going to be doing something nfc related
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do, mine uses a pattern system that I draw on the screen. I been locking my phone for years,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    If you have lost your card and it happens they refund it no questions asked. So, what exactly is the issue here?

How long will they do that for? If you lose your normal card, they will not refund anything until after you report a card missing.

How would I prove that £14 worth of books that someone got with my card in Waterstones was not me?
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    But then you lose the convenience. Having it in a phone is more convenient than having it in a card, and also more secure.

Some people think Apple are working on their own version, that will be incompatible with everyone else's.

I agree the new iPhone not having it is a surprise, and a set-back.

For me it should be more convenient, because I have my phone with me always regardless, and will hopefully reduce the number of cards I carry. For example, I currently carry a pre-paid bus card which I'd happily leave behind. A single phone can do the work of any number of cards. It's not limited to cash.

I talked about it being more secure earlier in the thread.

I’m the opposite – I’m more likely to have my wallet than my phone on me so the card is more convenient.

Also I can see banks starting to charge per transaction when it’s through your phone as well.