Options

Let's Kill Hitler Motion Comic

Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
Forum Member
I haven't seen it mentioned much, but BBC America had a short 'motion comic' paid for by AT&T in one of the ad breaks for LKH, as a way to bridge scenes.

Slightly wobbly YouTube version.

Some background from the people who made it.

And just to pre-empt anybody thinking about whinging about the fact that this wasn't shown in the UK:
  1. An American company paid for it as an advert.
  2. They couldn't afford to have it in the actual episode.
  3. You've seen it now, haven't you?
  4. It's hardy fundamental to the story.

Comments

• Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will make a decent special feature on the series 6 set,probably if they decide to put it on there
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. It's not actually that good...:p

thanks for posting it nonetheless...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    5. It's not actually that good...:p

thanks for posting it nonetheless...:)

Well, that too, but I was trying to stick to objective reasons. :)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »
    Well, that too, but I was trying to stick to objective reasons. :)

seriously though, when you think this was made in the mid 1980's and looks about ten times better it tells you something!:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIVNrI7Kp0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    seriously though, when you think this was made in the mid 1980's and looks about ten times better it tells you something!:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIVNrI7Kp0

That it was hand-drawn, had a far higher budget and took four months to make?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    I thought it was O.K., but nowhere near as good as this :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was O.K., but nowhere near as good as this :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

I loved that!!!!! Did they take sound clips from the original series?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that that was rubbish, mostly because I think this Motion Comic idea is stupid. I think it would have been much better if it was proper animation.
    In my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I love the BBC America DW site - it even has DW recipes - including Fish Custard, Ginger Companions and Tardis Pies.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the BBC America DW site - it even has DW recipes - including Fish Custard, Ginger Companions and Tardis Pies.

It's far better than our pitiful site in the UK. I may even go as far as removing the BBC Doctor Who site from my browser's bookmarks and replace it with the BBC America site.
    EDIT: I can't :mad: The videos only work in the US, so it's pointless.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It's far better than our pitiful site in the UK. I may even go as far as removing the BBC Doctor Who site from my browser's bookmarks and replace it with the BBC America site.

Look up "proxy server" or "proxies" - they are legal to use in most cases (they effectively "hide" your real IP Address which - amongst other things- identifies you as being based in the UK) but are illegal in or if used to access sites in some countries.

Used legally and properly, they allow you to access location-restricted sites.

You must - however - pay attention to the terms and conditions of any sites you visit - just as you must if accessing UK based sites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I have to say that that was rubbish, mostly because I think this Motion Comic idea is stupid. I think it would have been much better if it was proper animation.

Aye, you can see why the scene was cut from the original episode, too. Not much to it, really.

I don't, though, mind the idea of a motion comic. Not seen a good one, though. I just think of it as an audio drama with a few things to look at while you've got it on your computer screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What utter rot. The UK site's crammed with stuff. Exclusive interviews and videos, the prequels, wallpapers, games. Never mind the free Adventure Games.

What's the US site got?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Yup, the "motion comic" was a pretty silly idea dreamed up by rather too comic-obsessed comic fans. Done well (and sparingly), it can be quite effective, but... well, I'm never actually seen a good one. A good one would have to really be more like gno theatre than a comic....

I've only watched the "about" clip so far, and they've done more actual animation than most "motion comics", so it really looks like a bit like "cartoon with a few corners cut"....

Edit: wait, is that thing with the guy talking about it the actual full thing?!?! Weak.....