Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it isn't even out yet but its on a $200 budget, not very well known actors and terrible advising. What do you think?

Comments

• MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Possibly

or you could watch this instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpQmZmKNmo

The Asylum strike again with Atlantic Rim
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it isn't even out yet but its on a $200 budget, not very well known actors and terrible advising. What do you think?

I think you're wrong. IMDB has the budget at $180 million for one thing. The advertising has been spot on - the trailers have given you just enough to whet your appetite each time, and the advertising is only just starting to appear on the sides of buses e.t.c..

I think Idris Elba and Ron Perlman would also have something to say about not being well known as well ..

I expect it'll make it's costs back at least.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I think we'll have to wait and see. Ron Perlman and Idris Elba are pretty famous. looks pretty good to me.
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not slating.i think it looks good and I want to see it. But the advertising isnt acc that good. Movies should make a impact before there release most people I asked about it havent heard of it and one of them is a top movie reviewer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Possibly

or you could watch this instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpQmZmKNmo

The Asylum strike again with Atlantic Rim

Them CGI monsters look good for Asylum!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    World Wide Z had a budget of $180 million and that's had alot of hype and hasnt passed that mark yet. Nearly has though;)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if Battleship can do it, no reason why Pacific Rim cant.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a small clip and I just thought I don't want to see another film where big metal monsters create havoc. How many transformer type movies do we need?
    However I have just seen a clip from The Lone Ranger. Now THAT looks good:)
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really hope this does well (love GDT) but i do get the feeling this will be another john carter. the whole premise seems too out there i think to catch the blockbuster audience, which is who they need.

also part of me wants these big CGI-fests to start flopping so hollywood stops making films aimed at 14 year old boys.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World Wide Z had a budget of $180 million and that's had alot of hype and hasnt passed that mark yet. Nearly has though;)

I'm not sure of the relevance. World War Z has only been out a week, so it's nowhere near done at the box office, especially as it hasn't even opened in most foreign markets yet. I don't see how you can take the 1st weeks box office of one film and use it as evidence that Pacific RIm is going to flop. Very odd.

And the only hype World War Z had was how troubled the production was and how people expected it to be a box office flop. The fact that it looks like it's going to do decent business has been a surprise. So how a film that was expected to do poorly over-performing to expectations serves to help your argument is lost on me.
  • charmed1987charmed1987 Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unknown Actors i wouldnt say that
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Them CGI monsters look good for Asylum!

It seems to be a bigger budget for them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the relevance. World War Z has only been out a week, so it's nowhere near done at the box office, especially as it hasn't even opened in most foreign markets yet. I don't see how you can take the 1st weeks box office of one film and use it as evidence that Pacific RIm is going to flop. Very odd.

And the only hype World War Z had was how troubled the production was and how people expected it to be a box office flop. The fact that it looks like it's going to do decent business has been a surprise. So how a film that was expected to do poorly over-performing to expectations serves to help your argument is lost on me.

Wait.. wait.. I'm not arguing and what I'm trying to say is World Wide Z has nearly passed its budget. and like you said most thought it was going to flop. I know this movie isnt going to make $142 million in a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    However I have just seen a clip from The Lone Ranger. Now THAT looks good:)

I actually thought the exact opposite for the Lone Ranger. I watched the trailer and really had NO desire to go and see it.

Anyway, the buzz about Pacific Rim started last year since it was the film that Del Toro left the Hobbit to make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and Battleship box office in North American didn't do as well as they hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the whole unknown actors thing.. what im trying to say is.. (Battleship is used as a example for this) Rihanna? She is widely known very well. So many people probably went to the cinema to see her in her 1st movie .That adds a buzz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the whole unknown actors thing.. what im trying to say is.. (Battleship is used as a example for this) Rihanna? She is widely known very well. So many people probably went to the cinema to see her in her 1st movie .That adds a buzz.

I think a lot of people would recognise Idris Elba though - especially from Prometheus. Some would recognise him from The Wire and probably more would know him from Luther. Add in the killer line "Today are are cancelling the apocalypse!" and I think for a lot of people, that alone would sell the movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people would recognise Idris Elba though - especially from Prometheus. Some would recognise him from The Wire and probably more would know him from Luther. Add in the killer line "Today are are cancelling the apocalypse!" and I think for a lot of people, that alone would sell the movie.

Yes I get you. I'm honestly not hoping it flops just a feeling!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I'm looking forward to it & my wife can't wait.... Looks like its going to be a good movie.
    I won't judge it on the fact there is already tons of films out like it. Just on the film after I have seen it
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait.. wait.. I'm not arguing and what I'm trying to say is World Wide Z has nearly passed its budget. and like you said most thought it was going to flop. I know this movie isnt going to make $142 million in a week.

the problem is that far from supporting your view, WWZ undermines it - if a film with negative expectations can make that money, a film that has had a whole lot more positive buzz has actually got a better chance.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that audience anticipation for Pacific Rim wasn't that great and studio bod's are getting a bit worried what with it's enormous budget. It'll make the bulk of it's money on it opening weekend obviously, then drop badly. The only hope they have is word of mouth giving it legs to sustain it through the onslaught of films released afterwards, that and foreign takings. And no real big name stars isn't going to help it much either, Yes Idris is an excellent actor but his name on the poster doesn't get people's arses on seats, unlike Brad Pitt in World War Z.

Personally I think people are getting a bit bored of CGI heavy films regardless of the subject matter. I love this sort of film, and love Del Toro's visual style, but even I'm a a bit 'meh' about seeing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I read somewhere that audience anticipation for Pacific Rim wasn't that great and studio bod's are getting a bit worried what with it's enormous budget. It'll make the bulk of it's money on it opening weekend obviously, then drop badly. The only hope they have is word of mouth giving it legs to sustain it through the onslaught of films released afterwards, that and foreign takings. And no real big name stars isn't going to help it much either, Yes Idris is an excellent actor but his name on the poster doesn't get people's arses on seats, unlike Brad Pitt in World War Z.

Personally I think people are getting a bit bored of CGI heavy films regardless of the subject matter. I love this sort of film, and love Del Toro's visual style, but even I'm a a bit 'meh' about seeing it.

This is what I was trying to say!!! Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    As much I'd love it to be successful, I think the OP has a point.

Warner executives are panicking that it isn't tracking well, and are now trying to massively ramp up publicity for it, to try and avoid tanking.

Trailers/TV spots have been infrequent, and the ones that I've seen are shit. Even if it's a terrible film, the TV spots should at least be moderately appealing, and these simply aren't. (I know, my opinion doesn't really matter, but if one person thinks it, chances are several more do as well).

And as much as Idris Elba and Ron Perlman aren't small names, they don't have a draw of $540m, which is what this film needs to break even. And I don't think Del Torro has that kind of pull either.

I don't think it will tank badly, but I don't think it will even for the studio...
  • SonickSonick Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Pacific Rim will do fine, Lone Ranger on the other hand has flop written all over it.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonick wrote: »
    Pacific Rim will do fine, Lone Ranger on the other hand has flop written all over it.

I'm personally not looking forward to Pacific Rim and can envision it not doing as well as expected. As for Lone Ranger, i agree that will be the flop of the summer.