Thanks to Christopher Eccleston

13»

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been fab. I wasn't too fussed at the start of the series, but his charisma is so compelling, and he's grown and grown on me. Damn, I'm really sorry he's leaving. :mad:
  • genieinabottlegenieinabottle Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pjmulholland - your not David Tennants old Mum are you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CE was on fire in POTW - superb! Funny, moving, and will be thoroughly missed. His Doctor is thebenchmark for a whole generation of viewers.
    I'm sure DT will be excellent too, and will be spured on by the brilliant job done by CE.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    This is an interesting article and maybe indicates why he's left the role. I suspect if Russell T. Davies hadnt been involved he wouldnt have considered it.

Assuming you didn't just write that yourself then it is customary to credit the writer and publication from where you copied it as, don't forget, it will be copyrighted :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you didn't just write that yourself then it is customary to credit the writer and publication from where you copied it as, don't forget, it will be copyrighted :)
    Just in case the original poster doesn't have those details, it's written by Simon Fanshawe, from The Guardian, Saturday January 15, 2000, and is online here: http://film.guardian.co.uk/Feature_Story/interview/0,5365,122551,00.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for doing that neardark
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Just to add to the majority of positive comments on here. I thought CE was exellent as the Doctor and portrayed the role brilliantly - I'm going to miss him next series and just hope that DT can fill his shoes.

Pertwee was my first Doctor followed of course by Tom Baker - both of these I loved and have very fond memories of, but Ecclestone has surpassed both of them - yes even TB - in my eyes :)

Apart from a handful of small clips I have never seen either Hartnell or Troughton but will try and get hold of some old episodes and watch them :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From CE's comments on the last Dr Who Confidential, I conclude that he didn't really enjoy the role. Maybe he found the shooting schedule so hectic he didn't have time to really think through the character sometimes.

That said, I really warmed to CE throughout the series. I thought his 'battle damaged' character was quite believable. He was certainly no more manic than Tom Baker!

It will be interesting to see if David Tennant takes it in a radically new direction. However, given the 'new' audience, I think RTD will keep with what is obviously working well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JosephG wrote:
    Can I just add my heart felt thanks to Christopher Eccleston for being everything I wanted from a new Doctor, and for helping the programme re-gain it's credibility, and must watch status.
    Anyone with withdrawal symptoms could do worse than getting a copy of "The Second Coming" on DVD, but let me point you towards "Shallow Grave", amongst other things. And he was good in "Cracker", and "Jude" oh hell lets face it he's agreat actor. I might even go to see The Da Vinci code, even though I've been avoiding the book.
    Sorry off topic again, Basically, Thanks for the last three months. And Good Luck.
    JG.

So enjoyed this series of Doctor Who. Brilliantly handled by Christopher Eccleston and RT Davies... BTW, don't think anyone has mentioned that "The Second Coming" was also written by RT Davies, and I suspect was the reason Eccleston was so attracted to the part in the first place. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a marker to say http://www.christophereccleston.info is now up and running and includes a forum.
    Forum Member
    Just a marker to say http://www.christophereccleston.info is now up and running and includes a forum.
    Thanks Genie :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote:
    Thanks Genie :)
    Eileen, it's so good to see you back - I'm glad you didn't miss all the excitement of the new forum, which we all fought so hard for.
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    Eileen, it's so good to see you back - I'm glad you didn't miss all the excitement of the new forum, which we all fought so hard for.
    Hi Den :)

I'm back - I must admit it was certain comments that made me not post for a couple of days - well that and slightly too much alcohol on Saturday night :D:p;)

Back on topic for the thread - I'll miss CE :cry: