Options

Shows That Were Never Broadcast

Comments

• Options
    sparkideesparkidee Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever happened to Speed Sunday on ITV1? that was quite a good programme but then disappeared suddenly about 3 years back.... shame as it wernt to bad
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oracle wrote: »
    The CW's 'Aquaman' still stands as the most expensive single-hour pilot ever made, and one of the most expensive hours of television EVER.

And by default, it's also the most expensive failed pilot too.

Cost: $7 million!

By comparison, Lost's two-hour pilot episode cost $10M.

NYPD 2069 reportedly cost in the region of $12mill according to the producers at the time. Mainly through the sfx which they seemed to try and do hollywood standard which back in 2004 wasnt really possible on a realistic tv budget

Fox seemed to later brush the cost under the carpet though
  • Options
    Mo from t'marketMo from t'market Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They recorded a complete series of "Keynotes" which was shown in the 9:25am slot before Kyle came along, they didnt show it as iirc the PRS wanted payment for using snppets of songs

LOL - Keynotes! I used to watch that (while still in bed!) during school holidays!
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL - Keynotes! I used to watch that (while still in bed!) during school holidays!

See Tabby is a very old mog!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speed sunday any1 know what happened to it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkidee wrote: »
    it could be called ITV Crap

ITV Crap: the new channel for sitcoms and other shite that never quite made it to air...... but for a monthly fee of 200 pound u can watch the crappy pilots that never made it

and you need an old BSB Square-aerial to recieve it..:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Team53 wrote: »
    haven't these respective 'unshown' shows been released on dvd? I know they are always adverting the Secret Army dvd in the dvd magazines and hasn't the last series of Ultimate Force also been released?

The Secret Army DVD's do not contain the missing episode (well at least the UK ones) and I've only ever seen one photo from it.
  • Options
    AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    What about Starhyke? Six episodes of this sci-fi comedy were filmed back in 2004, I believe, featuring Claudia Christian of Babylon 5 and Jeremy Bulloch (the original Boba Fett).

It still hasn't found any channel willing to show it though according to wikipedia props and costumes from the show will appear in Casualty on the 24th May!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starhyke
  • Options
    LeMarchandLeMarchand Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alberon wrote: »
    What about Starhyke?

I think we may have had a lucky escape with that one, though!

Wasn't there a "Chariots of the Gods" show that seemed to be a bit of a "Stargate" rip filmed but never shown (I think it was made by a German company)?
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An American version of "Are You Being Served" which was called "Beanes Of Boston"(1979) which would star John Hillerman (who would go on to play Higgins in the tv series Magnum) as Captain Peacock was planned to be made.The pilot episode flopped & the series was never made.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    It seems like ITV could run an entire channel with the amount of shows they have stockpiled. It might not be a very good channel :o

Interestingly, Bombshell was shown in New Zealand and is out on DVD but was never shown by ITV. You would think they would put it on ITV2 or ITV3 because at some stage they will need to write off the cost of making it.

This is something I have never understood either.
  • Options
    sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an ITV drama made back in 2001/2002 about a plane crash as well tht hasnt been show iirc
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Has Eating with the Enemy been shown in the UK. It has just finished here in Oz and was pretty okay. James Martin with a panel of the most uptight and inthemselves food critics you can imagine.

I Googled it and kept seeing it was not yet scheduled for showing in the UK. Maybe there are too many cookery shows already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    The now defunct BSB Galaxy filmed a big budget space soap called Jupiter moon. The series never finished despite all the episodes being filmed. Despìte SKY One gaining the show with the BSB SKY merger they never opted to screen it. Funnily enough, the soap finished its run on GBC TV (Gibraltar,UK) which also screened the premiere of the soap PRIOR to BSB.

I think Jupiter moon showed up many years later on Sci Fi channel UK, but I am not sure whether the then dated soap ever played its entire run. Apparently now, the soap is selling BIG time on DVD lol
  • Options
    tellmealltellmeall Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was a michael jackson documentary that was supposed to be screened the week his "number ones" album was released!! but the police raided neverland that day so itv pulled it....i dont think they ever should have! i really wanted to watch it and it has never been shown at all!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about The Royle Family?:eek:

It's an ITV show, but for some bizarre reason, ITV never bothered to show it.:confused:

Thank goodness the BBC saw the genius of it & screened it to the masses.:cool:
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about The Royle Family?:eek:

It's an ITV show, but for some bizarre reason, ITV never bothered to show it.:confused:

Thank goodness the BBC saw the genius of it & screened it to the masses.:cool:
    What? No it's not. As far as I'm aware it's a BBC commissioned programme produced by ITV. ITV never dropped it.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    What? No it's not. As far as I'm aware it's a BBC commissioned programme produced by ITV. ITV never dropped it.

Thankyou for the correction.

I knew it was made my Granda TV (ITV) & I mistakenly assumed that ITV probably didn't think it was good enough & the BBC did.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Did they ever show the Russell Brand Buzzcocks episode?
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yogib wrote: »
    Did they ever show the Russell Brand Buzzcocks episode?

Not according to the ever reliable wiki!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Never_Mind_the_Buzzcocks_episodes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    I know that ITV have quite a few of these. There was the film about the Marchioness boat tragedy. Also there is Bombshell, a 7 part drama made by Shed about army life.

One of the reasons why ITV dont show programmes is because they dont have to recognise the cost in their accounts until the programme is show, so if you dont sreen it, you dont have to take the cost hit for it.

So do the BBC or Channel 4 have many shows (apart from pilots) that never saw the light of day?

I've read all the responses to this thread and slight ly surprised nobody has suggested a violent crime drama made by ITV and only one episode ever shown, at least in Britain based ITV regions. I refer to 'Big Breadwinner Hog' which I recall in 1969 seeing most episodes in our region [Ulster]
    In Britain it was taken off as far as I know, after two episodes shown.
    Set in the east end of London and starring Peter Egan as a ruthless gangster. It's recently been out on DVD with another late 60s drama called 'Spindoe starring Donegal born actor, Ray McAnally.
    Another series made by ITV a sequel to 'Budgie' which entitled 'Charles Endelll Esq', of which only a couple of episodes seen the airwaves before the 1979 ITV strike and which was quietly put away along with a few other series that were flops when the strike began.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wholes series of BBC documents about the 'Secret State' were cancelled because one of them was about a spy satellite program (Zircon) that ran a horse and cart through conventional government funding procedures.
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Breadwinner Hog was shown on ITV in its entirety.
    Granada who made it aired all 8 episodes but some ITV regions changed its timeslot to a later time .

There was a fuss about the violence but I don't think many if any regions actually banned it completely.

I've not read the rest of the thread but the 2 things I would include in this list are the Sex and Violence episode of Doomwatch .
    The BBC cancelled its broadcast apparently due to real life military execution footage being included.
    Not sure why it was not just edited.

Ironically with most of Doomwatch having been wiped over the years -but with many returned from Canada - there are only 3 or 4 left from the final inferior third series , and S&V is one of them.

The other thing not shown was of course the Dr Who story Shada that was partly filmed but left incomplete by a strike so it was never broadcast although a cut and paste job was released on VHS many years later.

As for Charles Endell- this was shown in full when the strike ended .
    Some other unexciting shows like Tropic were hidden away in late night slots after the initial peaktime first episode was rated as junk so the ITV strike was useful in that respect.

A couple of things in the planning stages were never broadcast as their production was cancelled.

The ITV strike lead to the cancellation of The Tomorrow People and shortly after that Yootha Joyce died so the 1980 series of George and Mildred was never made despite all the scripts having been written
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    PhilipM wrote: »
    Second series of "Shane" starring Frank Skinner. Filmed a couple of years ago, seems unlikely it will ever be broadcast.

I actually thought the first series was quite good, certainly by ITV's standards! Some of Frank's one-liners were very reminiscent of Lee Mack's in "Not Going Out".

As Frank Skinner said in one of his books, after they spent so much money making the series, how bad must it have been to not even be considered good enough for broadcast by ITV?!