Options

What's happened to TMZ?

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Don't patronise me. I'm suggesting it's a technical glitch - I'm sorry I can't identify exactly what it might be :rolleyes: - since there's no rational reason for it to be unavailable only in the UK.

There is a rational reason though- libel/privacy law in England is very strict, and results in people like John Terry, Andrew Marr etc. getting so called super injunctions to stop facts being reported, even when said facts are completely true. There has to be a public interest reason for revealing something about a celebrity, something tmz doesn't have often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    What does that mean :confused:

I'm in Northern Ireland and can view it......we are part of the UK ...

Thanks for that sir. Got on now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    popalong wrote: »
    It is strange that people in Ireland are not having problems. I take they have similar laws to the US and less like us. I'll just have to set up a proxy connection for future use. I've set up this link for anyone who would like to save it as a bookmark.

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.tmz.com/

I'm still really baffled by the Warner Brothers link. :D
    Thanks for that.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    There is a rational reason though- libel/privacy law in England is very strict, and results in people like John Terry, Andrew Marr etc. getting so called super injunctions to stop facts being reported, even when said facts are completely true. There has to be a public interest reason for revealing something about a celebrity, something tmz doesn't have often.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but since it's viewable via proxy connection and I viewed it before I posted on here and there's nothing libellous on it that I can see that would have resulted in access being restriced (or in the slightly earlier cached version either), I am therefore basing my opinion on it being some type of technical glitch rather than a libel issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is strange that people in Ireland are not having problems. I take they have similar laws to the US and less like us. I'll just have to set up a proxy connection for future use. I've set up this link for anyone who would like to save it as a bookmark.

thanks so much for this

I need my TMZ fix daily:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be the <USA> </USA> tags will it? I suggest to you that it is extremely unlikely that a site just happens to be inaccessible in one country due to a coding error.

tmz.com is back in action.

Gosh, looks like those of us who said it was a technical glitch were...correct.

Someone looks a bit <silly> brianwilson </silly> now. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not working for me. I still get the "Due to laws within your region, you are unable to view content for this website.".

At first I did think this was a technical glitch, maybe down for maintenance, but when I read the "laws" part I thought it was a bit odd to phrase it as such for a technical glitch. The fact some people can access it and some can't suggests it isn't a technical/maintenance thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its not working for me

and now the website http://www.toofab.com/
    has the same ban:confused:

EDIT: found another one www.starmagazine.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »
    its not working for me

The government is trying to ban us from accessing showbiz news! :eek:

I don't use toofab, but like someone said before about TMZ, I am now pissed that I can't access it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »
    its not working for me

Also to popalong and anyone else having a prob: Can I suggest something: clear your cache and history, reboot and try the link again. It is a technical issue since I can access (in London) so it's not blocked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also to popalong and anyone else having a prob: Can I suggest something: clear your cache and history, reboot and try the link again. It is a technical issue since I can access (in London) so it's not blocked.
    I have just done this, restarted Firefox and I am still getting the same messages. Tried on Internet Explorer, same messages. Tried on Google Chrome, same messages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just done this, restarted Firefox and I am still getting the same messages. Tried on Internet Explorer, same messages. Tried on Google Chrome, same messages.

How odd. Are you trying to access via a bookmarked or desktop link? If so, try putting the address in google...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How odd. Are you trying to access via a bookmarked or desktop link? If so, try putting the address in google...
    I initially found this problem through a bookmarked link. Then I tried typing in tmz.com. This took me to warnerbros.com.

I thought maybe it required the www, so I typed www.tmz.com, again I was taken to the "Due to laws within your region...." page.

So I tried accessing it via google. Clicked on the tmz link and got the "Due to laws within your region...." nonsense again. I can access it via a proxy site, but not my own UK IP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

nope, clear history, cookie and cache still no access:mad:
  • Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a traceroute, obviously something is wrong at their end... hence the redirect to warnerbros.com
    IP address: 184.73.197.175
    Host name: tmz.com

Alias:
    tmz.com
    184.73.197.175 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 184.73.197.175 [tmz.com]
    Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
    1 15 10 10 72.249.128.109 -
    2 90 8 6 8.9.232.73 xe-5-3-0.edge3.dallas1.level3.net
    3 13 6 15 4.69.145.244 ae-93-90.ebr3.dallas1.level3.net
    4 20 Timed out 27 4.69.134.22 ae-7-7.ebr3.atlanta2.level3.net
    5 16 44 17 64.125.26.130 xe-1-2-0.cr1.iah1.us.above.net
    6 49 42 52 4.69.134.142 ae-91-91.csw4.washington1.level3.net
    7 46 49 39 4.69.149.206 ae-4-90.edge2.washington1.level3.net
    8 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    9 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    10 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    11 Timed out Timed out Timed out -

Trace aborted.

Retrieving DNS records for tmz.com...

DNS servers
    ns.warnerbros.com
    ns2.warnerbros.com

Answer records
    tmz.com A 184.73.227.215 300s
    tmz.com A 204.236.235.200 300s
    tmz.com A 184.73.197.167 300s
    tmz.com A 184.73.197.175 300s
    tmz.com A 184.73.227.202 300s
    tmz.com A 184.73.227.209 300s
    tmz.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very odd. Sorry, can't think of anything else to suggest. But I'm sure it will rectify itself. :)

EDIT: @popalong - I've just gone directly to tmz via your link above - no probs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping that it's just a technical fault and that the message is meant for countries other than the UK. Perhaps they have just accidentally blocked several UK IP addresses along with another place. New day on the job for someone maybe, holiday staff. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very odd. Sorry, can't think of anything else to suggest. But I'm sure it will rectify itself. :)

EDIT: @popalong - I've just gone directly to tmz via your link above - no probs.
    Doesn't work for me, I still get the "Due to laws....." yada, yada, yada. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get on it either? How bizarre, I hardly ever go on it anyway but I would like the option!

But as long as I have ontd I don't really care, as that is the only one I visit regularly!!
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member

Thanks for this I need my lunchtime tmz fix!
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikedw wrote: »
    Thanks for that sir. Got on now.

Thanks for what :confused:

I'm not a sir....

Just had another look now i'm getting this "Sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found"
  • Options
    Rachel2006Rachel2006 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this censorship in this country? :mad: how dare they tell me what i can and cannot read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not working for me in Glasgow...tres strange!
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel2006 wrote: »
    is this censorship in this country? :mad: how dare they tell me what i can and cannot read.

They chose to censor the sites, if that is the case, not 'us'.

Any excuse for a 'broken Britain' jibe.