Options

Godzilla - New Trailer

12346»

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The human bits were poor (especially as they often seemed selfish, and/or failed to communicate), but I wasn't really paying to see the humans. Where it mattered, I felt this film delivered. You end up rooting for a monster in a good way.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Seconded!
    Complete and utter trash!

Complete and utter trash? Seriously? I mean there's trash and there's garbage and this is neither. It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't terrible either, but yeah at the end i was like ok cool film, glad i saw it but a one-time only film for me.

I went in with low expectations after reading the early reviews so wasn't expecting a masterpiece but when Godzilla and MUTA's arrived it was certainly entertaining and a grand spectacle. At one point i was starting to think they've shown more of the MUTA's than actual Godzilla and it really looked like he was going to be beaten up and killed by them towards the end. That's worrying! Bryan Cranston is the best thing in it, Aaron Taylor Johnson completely miscast but overall the film is nothing special.

After having seen the Transformer movies and Pacific Rim and now this i'm really getting tired of big gigantic things battling each other. There's only so much of this kind of stuff you can watch before being worn out by it all.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Seconded!
    Complete and utter trash!

Any review consisting of 5 words has in all likelihood exhausted the vocabulary of its' reviewer
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Sequel announced by Warners. But you'll have to wait.

8th June 2018 is the date given, same as the next World Cup.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this has just become available online I thought I'd give it a go.

Originally the trailers had me looking forward to this, but the week before release Film 4 showed the director's previous film Monsters. After watching what turned out to be one of the most boring films I've seen for some time I changed my mind about shelling out good money for Godzilla.

It turned out much like I expected after watching Monsters. Although less so, this was a very dull film, Cranston's role is little more than a cameo, and every time it looks as though there'll be an epic Godzilla fight scene, we cut away and watch people that we don't know or care about run for their lives. I estimate there is probably no more than 90 seconds of fighting in this film.

Pacific Rim pissed all over it.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As this has just become available online I thought I'd give it a go.

Originally the trailers had me looking forward to this, but the week before release Film 4 showed the director's previous film Monsters. After watching what turned out to be one of the most boring films I've seen for some time I changed my mind about shelling out good money for Godzilla.

It turned out much like I expected after watching Monsters. Although less so, this was a very dull film, Cranston's role is little more than a cameo, and every time it looks as though there'll be an epic Godzilla fight scene, we cut away and watch people that we don't know or care about run for their lives. I estimate there is probably no more than 90 seconds of fighting in this film.

Pacific Rim pissed all over it.

Yes a good review of the film. Brian was wasted in this film and should have been the lead character instead of his son.

Also apart from moving away from the action all the time like you say, they also used darkness and dust too much to hide the action.

A disappointing film.

Godzilla was good though and it is a shame we didn't see more of him.

Pacific Rim was much better.
  • Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this a long time ago which was the first film. At the end an egg hatches and a new dinosaur comes out. I thought that would be for when a Godzilla 2 comes out. I didn't know that people would have to wait this long though.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this a long time ago which was the first film. At the end an egg hatches and a new dinosaur comes out. I thought that would be for when a Godzilla 2 comes out. I didn't know that people would have to wait this long though.

You do realise that the new film is a REBOOT not a sequel to the last one.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Saw it the other night.

Having enjoyed the detatched, eerie feel Gareth Edwards brought to Monsters (it helped offset the rather self-absorbed characters), it pains me a little to say he's as much to blame as anything else for this thunderously dull dud.

Godzilla always feels like it's trying to pull in another direction to its trite script, but the overly serious tones simply underline its shortcomings. And the attempt to entwine human drama with the monster spectacle is far too contrived to convince. We also get convenience for the sake of melodrama - bland hero boy resuces a kid and returns him to his parents. Time-filling stuff as the narrative staggers on.

And what's it about? Something about humans and nature possibly, along with bog-standard Father/commitment issues and what looked like clumsy social-engineering (Governments not keen on Mutos breeding, so get their big pal Godzilla to batter them senseless. Make of this what you will).

As spectacle, it's got all the modern trappings of these things - swooping choppers, endless vistas of destruction etc. As such, it's not without its moments (Godzilla emerging beside a rainswept 'Frisco bridge say) but even here it mostly disappoints - the big smackdown ending is too blanketed in darkness to wow us.

As drama, however, it's a complete bust. A dud script handed to the wrong man. 4/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    a pretty boring and poor movie really. bryan cranston was good and the film stared well but then he depearted and it went downhill. story over at that point
    the guy who played his son was wooden how did he get that acting part. they should of had bryan as the lead throughout and worked it around him.
    the creatures were like tripods or robots never once did they seem like creatures.
    the whole film was just a spectacle of lets put this on the screen it will look good. meanwhile everything else mattered not.
    no one was scared no one seemed to be bothered by these creatures rampaging about.
    i was bored once you seen one thing being crushed you seen it all.
    you need suspense and the worry scary factor and a story for these types of films , it had none of that.

its a shame you seen great films getting no recognition and hyped stuff like this and turtles doing well when they are no good.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way better than Pacific Rim which felt very Transformers(esque) and childish. I thought it was really well paced, the use of Godzilla very sparingly till the end was well judged and the cinemtography was fantastic (especially the skydiving sequence). Narrative and character wise it lacked some but its a monster movie at the end of the day so not that big of an issue. Solid 8/10 and the sound design was superb.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    average film, good cgi but the film was never exciting at all

only good thing was elizabeth olsen who is beautiful
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bad film. Not underwhelming or disappointing. Legitimately bad, with poor writing, acting and some terrible choices made regarding the action, considering the type of film it is. I am utterly baffled as to how this was enough of a success to warrant a sequel.