Eurovision 2015 - The UK entry...

Comments

• bass55bass55 Posts: 18,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly disappointed with this year's entry, particularly as I thought COTU was a step in the right direction (despite it performing badly on the night). This song is just awful, and it's going to sound even worse live. Anyone who thinks this will finish anywhere outside the bottom five is kidding themselves. It's embarrassingly bad.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Each day I hate it a little more :(
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each day I hate it a little more :(

You hate it more and more yet from what i have been reading online over eurovision forums the song seems to be coming round to it little by little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurofest.by seem to have given it an impartial assessment of 3rd overall so far

http://eurofest.by/en/eurovision-2015-song-contest-chart/
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    You hate it more and more yet from what i have been reading online over eurovision forums the song seems to be coming round to it little by little.

That's lovely :p:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31797409 Props to them! Atleast they know how this year is shaping up....balladfest central!
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31797409 Props to them! Atleast they know how this year is shaping up....balladfest central!

People really need to start proofreading names at the BBC. Mark Gattiss? I'm glad they're not taking the criticism to heart. Some people are being really brutal about it but what did they expect?
  • EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backstage at the making of SILWY http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lf9c5

They come across as very likeable, Alex seems quite funny. Nice to see how the video was made while getting to know them a bit better.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    Backstage at the making of SILWY http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lf9c5

They come across as very likeable, Alex seems quite funny. Nice to see how the video was made while getting to know them a bit better.

The youth of the director explains a lot about this video.

Anyone over 40 is going to cringe with the "UV Minstrels" and scat singing. But nothing bad was intended by it.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Did the complainers ever actually see the black and white minstrels?
    Nothing like.

Scarred on my memory.

In case some of you are too young to remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RuOrWo_P0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well one bonus is people who watch on the night from Europe won't be trying to find flaws even if it means implying that the song is somehow indirectly racist, so that's nice. #shade
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The youth of the director explains a lot about this video.

Anyone over 40 is going to cringe with the "UV Minstrels" and scat singing. But nothing bad was intended by it.

Why would you call it uv minstrels and nothing bad was intended? I find it strange any one would find anything racist in people dancing with uv paint
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you call it uv minstrels and nothing bad was intended? I find it strange any one would find anything racist in people dancing with uv paint

It has to be generational. Those of us old enough to remember our TVs being occupied once a week (there were only two channels then - not much choice) by men with makeup parodying black faces - will cringe at anything resembling a blacked-out face with white bits. Check out my link above.
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    It has to be generational. Those of us old enough to remember our TVs being occupied once a week (there were only two channels then - not much choice) by men with makeup parodying black faces - will cringe at anything resembling a blacked-out face with white bits. Check out my link above.

If it was any other genre of music, it wouldn't be a problem... but it's not, so I agree, it potentially is!
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has now overtaken Estonia on the official Youtube channel in both Views AND Likes, making it the most viewed and liked entry on the official channel that has been uploaded so far. Pretty impressive considering it's been up for a lot less time than the other videos.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    It has now overtaken Estonia on the official Youtube channel in both Views AND Likes, making it the most viewed and liked entry on the official channel that has been uploaded so far. Pretty impressive considering it's been up for a lot less time than the other videos.

It's probably Guy Freeman sat in his office, pressing play over and over again :D

Nah, well that's nice to hear if so. I wouldn't read too much into it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone recall how well (not asking for figures or anything :D Anyone who can recall that way back should go on Mastermind) well Molly was doing at this time? Views and likes wise, considering it's just 48 hours afterwards. SILWY has had considerably more promotion though, both online with controversy and on radio/tv.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like the only country not liking the song is the UK itself
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm taking the names and comments of everybody who's not a fan of SILWY to use when we do well in May. ;)

I genuinely do think it's a great song and we've got a good chance. By all means it could swing the other way, but I don't think we've got any reason not to go into it with open minds. :)
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    It's probably Guy Freeman sat in his office, pressing play over and over again :D

Nah, well that's nice to hear if so. I wouldn't read too much into it though.

I'm just looking for the positives tbh. No point dwelling on the negatives, it's all a bit of fun really at the end of the day isn't it! :D
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I'm taking the names and comments of everybody who's not a fan of SILWY to use when we do well in May. ;)

I genuinely do think it's a great song and we've got a good chance. By all means it could swing the other way, but I don't think we've got any reason not to go into it with open minds. :)

I love your positive attitude, Pandora, but I just can't replicate it, sorry!

I'll be very happy for Alex & Bianca if they do well, but the song is just never going to be my cup of tea. I don't feel like I have to support the song just because it's the UK entry - that's not how the competition works for me.

As long as no-one is personally attacking the performers themselves (because that is just unfair, they're doing their best), or using the song as an opportunity to bash the BBC or ESC (yawn, move along), then let's all just agree to disagree! :D
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I love your positive attitude, Pandora, but I just can't replicate it, sorry!

I'll be very happy for Alex & Bianca if they do well, but the song is just never going to be my cup of tea. I don't feel like I have to support the song just because it's the UK entry - that's not how the competition works for me.

As long as no-one is personally attacking the performers themselves (because that is just unfair, they're doing their best), or using the song as an opportunity to bash the BBC or ESC (yawn, move along), then let's all just agree to disagree! :D
    I'd agree with that, it's a good point well made. I definitely felt like you back in 2012. Best of luck with the entries you support! :D
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, it's a good point well made. I definitely felt like you back in 2012. Best of luck with the entries you support! :D

Thank you :)

Same back to you!
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Just a thought. Why am I getting Satellite with our song

Left field
    Rediculously catchy
    Wacky lyrics
    Not a lot of peoples favourite going in to the contest
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    thengp12 wrote: »
    Just a thought. Why am I getting Satellite with our song

Left field
    Rediculously catchy
    Wacky lyrics
    Not a lot of peoples favourite going in to the contest

Satellite was all of those things, but was also commercial and a massive hit in Germany (their fastest selling download ever I believe) Hard to see the British public (and europe) taking SILWY to their hearts in quite the same way really