GMG axes original content and staff at Channel M

skyscraper101skyscraper101 Posts: 450
Forum Member
Sad news.

I like Channel M news. Original programming, live and dedicated to the Greater Manchester area. Even London doesn't have its own channel.

And now its being axed :mad:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/5011833.article

Comments

• mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last post bug
  • skyscraper101skyscraper101 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    last post bug

Wut??
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wut??

When I clicked on the thread it displayed the blue banner of the thread and nothing else.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly surprising since they've lost their studio in Urbis...

(Now closed, due to the become the bloody National Football Museum, of all things!!)
  • skyscraper101skyscraper101 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    So we've got no city in the entire UK that has its own TV station available nationwide. I think its a real shame. In the US, local stations are everywhere. Catering to towns small and large, with local reporters, local news, and local weather.

Here, even the major cities of London and Manchester do not have their own TV station. ITV are even trying to scale down regional output or share the burden with the Beeb.

Why is local TV news so marginalised here? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    So we've got no city in the entire UK that has its own TV station available nationwide. I think its a real shame. In the US, local stations are everywhere. Catering to towns small and large, with local reporters, local news, and local weather.

Here, even the major cities of London and Manchester do not have their own TV station. ITV are even trying to scale down regional output or share the burden with the Beeb.

Probably because you [as a country] lack pride and national identity. There doesn't seem to be much resonance with people and their country within the UK, which is sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because you [as a country] lack pride and national identity. There doesn't seem to be much resonance with people and their country within the UK, which is sad.

It's more to do with the way our television system was set up. In the USA local affiliates own the equipment and can decide and broadcast whatever they want, they can broadcast whatever they want - but are usually franchised to a Network... in the same way some Local Corner Shops work. In the US, Network TV is an Opt-Out.

Here the broadcaster (ITV, FIVE) owns everything and decides what should be broadcast. In the UK, Local TV is an Opt-Out.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or, perhaps, the cost. Channel M's schedule has slowly been cutting back its local sports coverage, culture, news...this was, sadly, only a matter of time.

Now if they'd sold DVD's of Frank Sidebottom's black and white show (with repeats in colour), maybe it would have survived...
    Forum Member
    It's more to do with the way our television system was set up. In the USA local affiliates own the equipment and can decide and broadcast whatever they want, they can broadcast whatever they want - but are usually franchised to a Network... in the same way some Local Corner Shops work. In the US, Network TV is an Opt-Out.

Here the broadcaster (ITV, FIVE) owns everything and decides what should be broadcast. In the UK, Local TV is an Opt-Out.

I know that, but it people actually wanted to watch local news, then there would be money in it and therefore ITV being a commercial enterprise would cater for that audience. Either ITV has or is mismanaging how it caters local news or there is no market in local news therefore little to no revenue to be made.

Do you honestly think all the owned affiliates in America would concentrate on local news if there was no money to be had. That is where they make most of their money, by concentrating on local issues which is fostered by how people view their own country and their identity.
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »
    Or, perhaps, the cost. Channel M's schedule has slowly been cutting back its local sports coverage, culture, news...this was, sadly, only a matter of time.

Now if they'd sold DVD's of Frank Sidebottom's black and white show (with repeats in colour), maybe it would have survived...

Like I said, if they had adequate revenue then they would be able to afford their schedule, but obviously not enough people are interested in local offerings, therefore there is no money to be had. Maybe the lack of support of local content is due to lack of national/regional identity.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Euronews, live traffic cameras and repeats will be all they have left. It's hardly worth keeping it on Sky now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    But why did GMG hire the "same old out-of-touch cronies" who failed at GSKYB, failed at Granada, failed & continue to fail at BBC Radio Manchester and even failed with their own production companies - to help run the channel??

Thus all so predictable. But a huge missed opportunity, it could have worked with the right people on board!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I have to say when I read the news yesterday I was very disappoointed.

I don't live in Manchester and I've never watched Channel M.

I feel it's a real sad day when one of our only city based stations gives up.

Manchester like all cities and communities has a large amount of local pride and identity. I don't understand if it can be made to pay in the USA and Canada why it can't work here.
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member

There are no real local stations in the US. They tend to have lots of localy owned companies that are vertically integrated but they are just franchises showing network shows with a small broom cupboard for a studio to pt out local news (These companies usually own the local newspapers as well)
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Having multiple time zones is an advantage... and being very BIG with discreet population centres... ;)
    brush2805 wrote: »
    I don't understand if it can be made to pay in the USA and Canada why it can't work here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    All is not lost in the UK. Bolton Live TV should be on Sky later this year :cool:
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »
    There are no real local stations in the US. They tend to have lots of localy owned companies that are vertically integrated but they are just franchises showing network shows with a small broom cupboard for a studio to pt out local news (These companies usually own the local newspapers as well)

Actually there are plenty of "local" TV stations in the US.

They appear in TV guide as (Ind). These are independant of of the networks & carry zero network shows.

I have only been to the big cities, but you'll find them there. KCAL9 in Los Angeles was one las time i went. It showed mainly news, but occasionally live Baseball & when the game was rained off it switched to sitcoms
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be much content in the above article, just a login box.

An article with a bit of your actual wordosity is here: http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-media-news/north-west-broadcasting/stop-press:-channel-m-201003177681/

Channel M hasn't been running much in the way of programming for several months. Everything except the evening news - music, sport, fashion, travel, features, entertainment, comedy, breakfast - was axed months ago and it's been running a diet of repeats and teleshopping since. There was no gradual cut back - it was there one day, gone the next with half the staff gone.

I presume the channel will now go to mostly teleshopping, Euronews, those job ads that just scroll across the screen with a bored-sounding voiceover and a few repeats of sessions with those long-forgotten unsigned bands from about 2006 that they've been looping. I read somewhere (probably here) that the local DTT multiplex now consists of whatever will now go under the name of Channel M and four channels of "Manchester Teleshopping".

There's some info elsewhere on How-Do about a supposed "rescue consortium" including Sky, Virgin, Freeview and a local radio station, Asian Sound. It does sound a bit like pie-in-the-sky, though - I'm unsure what a small Asian AM radio station would want with an expensive local TV channel.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Sad news.

I like Channel M news. Original programming, live and dedicated to the Greater Manchester area. Even London doesn't have its own channel.

And now its being axed :mad:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/5011833.article
    Subscriber only content

You must be a paid subscriber to Broadcast magazine to read this article and receive complete, unrestricted access to broadcastnow.co.uk
    So please don't post Broadcast Now links in future.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seemed to "close" at 5pm today with a montage of "best bits" (which mostly seemed to be from last Christmas) and the staff saying goodbye - now it's repeating the last hour's news. Farewell, Channel M!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    According to How Do, Channnel M is moving to Lazer House at Salford Quays and looking to expand it's programming via third party production houses.

Could be a good showcase for up and coming media companies but would anyone watch?
  • CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    According to How Do, Channnel M is moving to Lazer House at Salford Quays and looking to expand it's programming via third party production houses.

Could be a good showcase for up and coming media companies but would anyone watch?

I wonder whether they will pay for productions?
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be a shock to the Shadow Media Secretary Jeremy Hunt, because city-based stations are the backlbone (only bone) of his plan to save regional broadcast media. Instead of trying to find legal loopholes to unpick any independently-financed news consortia pilots set up before the election, maybe now he should concentrate on making them work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    So lakes tv, an Internet tv station for the lake district is to have programmes on channel m.
    Maybe this is the way forward for them, rent out
    programming space similar to way information tv does with it's microchannels.
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    Mr Twit wrote: »
    But why did GMG hire the "same old out-of-touch cronies" who failed at GSKYB, failed at Granada, failed & continue to fail at BBC Radio Manchester and even failed with their own production companies - to help run the channel??

Thus all so predictable. But a huge missed opportunity, it could have worked with the right people on board!

It was never goint to work. You caanot run a TV channel just to serve a city. The sums do not add up