Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Stef Moon is appaearing in Chefs: Put Your Menu Where Your Mouth Is on BBC1
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minklecat wrote: »
    Aw I can see why you were so proud of your sister. What a great experience for her. I'm also rather impressed with Bryn Williams' approach to dealing with that class. As a teacher of teenagers I can say zero tolerance is the best way forward!

I'll probably watch that Youngest Head Chef programme too. Getting GBM withdrawal symptoms!

I was. When she was younger she used to come in from college at 6pm and go straight out to work at a local restaurant until 10pm. She got a job working under a chef on the Wales Culinary Team and for a while we thought she was going to be the next Angela Hartnett. She got me interested in food. She's a brilliant pastry chef, but she's lost her love of cooking and her ambition, I think. We invite her and her husband around for dinner and I do a Chinese banquet complete with home-bbq crispy duck... she invites us round and buys M&S. :o Shame because she is more talented than she realises.Still, she's happy and that's what matters.
    When I'm rich we're going to open a restaurant together called Jus' Puddins. You get a starter of salad to feel healthy... then get to gorge on dessert. It will be like Yo Sushi with puddings. I wish. :D

Saw Bryn at the National Eisteddfod in 2011. Was standing next to him in the food tent, but didn't go over and say 'hi'.

I'm getting GBM withdrawal symptoms too. Can't warm to the Masterchef contestants in the same way.

I don't blame Luke for capitalising on his 'child prodigy' status and trying to grab the spotlight with his own show before he turns 21. Should be interesting viewing.
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smokeycat wrote: »
    Luke Thomas is appearing in a BBC3 programme called 'Britain's Youngest Head Chef'. Next Wednesday April 17th 9:00PM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0zz2

Did anyone watch it?

I thought the programme showed quite a good insight into his world. He came across as a likable young man. Sometimes a bit naive, sometimes a bit egotistical.
    I think as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't believe too much of the hype then i'm sure he won't go too far wrong.

:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smokeycat wrote: »
    Did anyone watch it?

I thought the programme showed quite a good insight into his world. He came across as a likable young man. Sometimes a bit naive, sometimes a bit egotistical.
    I think as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't believe too much of the hype then i'm sure he won't go too far wrong.

:cool:

I only saw the end of it.
    My overriding impression was that he's a good chef, but perhaps too young for all he wants to achieve. I don't know if he's ready mentally for being a head chef. It's a lot of pressure to put on yourself, at an age where your peers are just finishing catering college and getting their first jobs. Too much too fast?
    I know that at 18 I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure. I hope he has a chance to grow into the role and find his own way of doing things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    If you enjoyed watching Michael Smith on GBM please consider voting for him in the Spirit of Scotland awards - one of the main reasons he has been nominated was his GBM success this year. Many thanks !

http://www.glenfiddich.com/uk/explore/spirit-of-scotland/
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    AngelaS wrote: »
    If you enjoyed watching Michael Smith on GBM please consider voting for him in the Spirit of Scotland awards - one of the main reasons he has been nominated was his GBM success this year. Many thanks !

i like michael but with tony singh in there thats a tough choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tough one because Tony seems lovely (have spoken to him on Twitter) - but Michael got my vote because he got through to the banquet. I'll vote for Tony next year. (Is it a bit early for them to be announcing the 2014 line-up?)

Love the fact that they make you input your age before voting... Don't see how it stops underage drinking; but once you're my age (28) it's flattering to be asked at all - until that one time when you DO forget your ID. :D

And being as this thread has been bumped, Hywel Jones (series 7) and Bryn Williams (series 1) are doing cookery demonstrations at this year's Gwledd Conwy Feast: http://www.conwyfeast.com/
    Forum Member
    Many thanks both for replies. Michael and Tony are good mates (if you follow them on twitter you probably know this already!!) and he definitely wouldn't want to cannibalise any votes from him, so if you are fans of both, abstention might be the best bet :-)

The dinner where it's announced is 28th November somewhere in Edinburgh I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks both for replies. Michael and Tony are good mates (if you follow them on twitter you probably know this already!!) and he definitely wouldn't want to cannibalise any votes from him, so if you are fans of both, abstention might be the best bet :-)

The dinner where it's announced is 28th November somewhere in Edinburgh I think

It's lovely that you're so proud of your brother. If my sister ever got on GBM I know I'd be exactly the same!

Let us know how he and Tony get on in the competition.
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »

Let us know how he and Tony get on in the competition.

Sure will !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭