Options

How to make Eastenders good again (some suggestions)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
I was trying to think of how to make this once great show great again. Some ideas:

*Get rid of Max Branning.

*Create another couple that will be the centre-piece of the show that the whole nation will like (similar to Den and Ang, Pat and Frank, etc).

*Once Michael Moon is gone don't have another character in the show like him again.

*Write some interesting storylines for Roxy, she never seems to have anything to do of interest to the viewers. She kind of hangs around and they seem short of valid ideas for what to do with the character.

*The producers need to sit down and watch many episodes from 1985 to the early 2000's (when the show started to fall apart) and try and see what the show had then that it doesn't have now, and try and turn the show back into that.

*Try and regard Eastenders as not just another soap, but as a unique programme. This is how it was in the early days, now it is just any other soap, and much less appealing.

Some ideas there. Please list your ideas for how this show, which used to be the best thing on TV and is now rubbish, could become great again.

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ultimately it's the writing and story-lining rather than the talent itself
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Change the name to ElDorado and change the setting to Spain, oh and change all of the characters ;)
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Storylines that don't involve affairs and whodunnits and who's the daddy's - go back to social realism and kitchen sink drama. The talent in that show are wasted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going back to social realism is a good idea too. People used to say years ago about Eastenders that it was so like life, people could relate to it, the characters had the same difficulties people had in real life but the tales were told in a way you could really relate to them. It's a different show now altogether.
  • Options
    EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all of your ideas!

Also get rid of Alfie, Kim, Sam, Dexter, Masood, AJ and Tamwar.

Rethink who are the 'stars' of the show. Bring characters such as Carol, Poppy, Peter, Denise and Lucy to the fore.

My main one is for them to have proper storylines! They seem so hard to try something because it may get some complaints. I want drama!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Sack LN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Bring back Honey, have more happiness, less marriages that last a week, and stop the same couples getting back with each other over and over such as sharon and phil

Also more poppy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bring back Michelle. Seriously, that would be REALLY good!
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't think axing characters is the solution at all. Don't leave a big gaping hole, that leaves the show in arrested development and digs it down even deeper. What they need is to take the writing and tone of the show back to its roots. Characters can leave gradually but the fan fetish of a casting cull would be one of the most stupid mistakes a soap could make.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add canned laughter and try to pass it off as a sit-com.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    bring back david wicks and nick cotton
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxwell44 wrote: »
    I was trying to think of how to make this once great show great again. Some ideas:

*Get rid of Max Branning.

*Create another couple that will be the centre-piece of the show that the whole nation will like (similar to Den and Ang, Pat and Frank, etc).

*Once Michael Moon is gone don't have another character in the show like him again.

*Write some interesting storylines for Roxy, she never seems to have anything to do of interest to the viewers. She kind of hangs around and they seem short of valid ideas for what to do with the character.

*The producers need to sit down and watch many episodes from 1985 to the early 2000's (when the show started to fall apart) and try and see what the show had then that it doesn't have now, and try and turn the show back into that.

*Try and regard Eastenders as not just another soap, but as a unique programme. This is how it was in the early days, now it is just any other soap, and much less appealing.

Some ideas there. Please list your ideas for how this show, which used to be the best thing on TV and is now rubbish, could become great again.

The Vic is kind of the main point of EE, get someone better then Alfie running it, infact get rid of him,

Get rid of Alice and Joey and a few more Branning's. Try and get Grant Mitchell back even if its for a little while and Courtney as well.

Like Corrie, they need to bring back more Characters with ties to the soap because there is not really that many left.

Take the focus of the Brannings and give others a S/L.

Bring in a proper Villian cause we have not had one of those since Archie tbh.

Better writing and acting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spiderman, some good points there. I think they're having crisis meetings at the BBC about Eastenders. They are worried it's all going wrong again. I've not heard this, I just suspect it. This
    £1m stunt smacks of a desperate attempt to draw viewers back.