Worst lines in 'Nu Who' ?

james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just thinking earlier of some awful lines;

1) 'Now begins the Millennium of Blood!' - The Shakespeare Code. Its a great episode but this sounds like something out of a Mortal Kombat movie. Awful

2) 'Detonate the Reality Bomb!' - Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Don't know why but this line just pi**es me off so much

3) 'There's a voice, in my head!' - End of Time P1. May go unnoticed but some guy shouts up this line from the floor beneath the block of flats when they go all 'mastery'. He delivers it awfully, whats worse is that the director must have said 'yep that's great, next scene!'.

4) 'You shouldn't have married me then' - End of Time P2. Mickey says this to Martha, seems like an embarrassingly lazy way of telling the audience something which was crammed in last minute.

Looks a bit RTD heavy i know, but he penned some great episodes. Just clearly loves his cheeseball lines :p .

Comments

• TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    'This is Martha and I'm bringing you back to Earth' from 'The Sontaran Strategem' remains the worst for me. Real 'cringe-behind-the-cushion' stuff...

In second place would be the collective body of Amy Pond's dialogue...:D

Regards,

Cypher
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Name of the Doctor - "You will be scattered across my timeline... like confetti!!"

It's a clunky spot of exposition in an episode that consists of little else, but the way he stops to add a simile while he's being unwritten to death draws attention to it. "Oop, must compare it to confetti." It's the kind of thing that was probably fine on the page, but out loud it's a fairly weak analogy. Very written.

I also seem to remember being surprised by a lot of iffy stock dialogue in Cold War that I didn't catch the first time round. I don't think "I've got a bad feeling about this" was in there, but that kind of genre, the kind of stuff people only ever say on telly. 7B didn't quite fire on all cylinders. (They've since more than made up for it - I wonder if the anniversary might have stolen its thunder!)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Humany-wumany was pretty bad from the 2011 Christmas special.
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whole planet chanting "Doctor Doctor Doctor" in Last of the Time Lords does it for me.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Pretty much any time the words "Doctor who?" are mentioned.

And yes, "Time of the Doctor" goes straight to the top of the pile for this.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "No...not the mind probe"
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Or 'fishy-wishies'. Horrible. Matt deserved better. :(

I quite like both Fear Her and Closing Time, but I really hate the lines 'It's a beacon of love!' and 'I blew them up with love!' from the respective episodes. Sickly and sentimental.

'Life is long/short and you are hot!' and 'Are you going to stop following me?'/'I don't think so!' from Blink. I find the first of these sleazy and the second downright sinister (stalking played for laughs, anyone?), and for me they spoil an otherwise great episode. :(

I DO like 'Detonate the Reality Bomb!'(I hope Julian Bleach returns as Davros and he has an epic stare-off with Capaldi's Doctor :cool: ) but it's a difficult line to drop into conversation...:D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Also, that line about women being strong because they are mothers in the same episode. Pass me the sick bucket.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Nine: "I think you need a Doctor". Utter cheese in The Parting of the Ways, from an otherwise sublime scene.

The End of Time was full of them. The aforementioned guy on the estate saying "There's a voice...in my head!" was awful. Any line delivered by the Naismith's was awful. The dubbed-in line from Obama was so clearly dubbed in. And the whole resurrection of The Master was also abysmal both in terms of plot and script. "We give ourselves that Saxon may live!"..utter drivel. The entire first scene with Ood Sigma..."I locked it like a car"...is so poor it feels like a deleted scene that wasn't worth keeping but was wedged in anyway. I also don't like Ten's "I bet you're going to have a really great year" to Rose - not only was it underwhelming but it missed the chance to chuck in a "Fantastic!". Part One was a lot worse than Part Two but much of the story was simply worth avoiding. And I'm avoiding the "I don't want to go" line. ;)

I also found The Waters of Mars to be clunky near its end. I realise that they were going for a darker angle, but it was an unbelievable level of character change that by the time we heard "Isn't anyone going to thank me" I genuinely couldn't tell whether it was Tennant's inability to stretch his acting to that of playing an intergalactic moron, or whether the script was just bad.

God, this sounds like such an anti-RTD rant. I feel I should add I think Moffat has had some real clunkers as well, but they're a bit more spread out and harder to think of. I'd probably have to go for "Humany-wumany" as well as pretty much half the script from The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Watch it spaceman"
    I really don't like Donna so basically every line she has I hate
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember Huw Edwards' commentary in Fear Her, bleating about love etc? Pass the bucket.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,093
    Forum Member
    "Timey Whimey" - That's how a toddler would talk, I hate that term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    'Geronimo'. It never worked, and is totally cringe-worthy, to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Not really a line but the way David Tennant keeps saying 'Big red Button' in his first episode is really annoying - he says 'Button' with great emphasis on the 'B', like Blackadder's 'Bob' only much less funny.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Anyone remember Huw Edwards' commentary in Fear Her, bleating about love etc? Pass the bucket.
    Thank you so much for reminding me!
    >:(
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    'Geronimo!' in elevens first scene, UGH

I wear a fez now, fez's are cool, DOUBLE UGH

'Hello Sweetie' TRIPLE UGH!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The line where the 11th refers the Clara being an enigma wrapped up in a skirt too tight
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Everything's coming up Doctor!" springs to mind.

Must be an episode I haven't seen in years as I'm not sure which one it is! Think it's 'Fear Her'. (And I agree with poster above re: Huw Edwards infamous appearance in said episode.)

Don't dislike the episode really, but not in a rush to see it again.

Edit: Good shout, radiogaga1. *Dreadful* line.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Put me down. I hate you!"

- Angie, Nightmare In Silver.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    "Put me down! I HATE You!"

Lumic's, "And how will you do that, from beyond the grave?" was bad, but worse was Kendrick's reply: "I don't quite understand."
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Lumic's, "And how will you do that, from beyond the grave?" was bad, but worse was Kendrick's reply: "I don't quite understand."

Reminds me...

Not a particularly bad line in itself but, in the same story there was a bit where DW looks at something off-screen and then says summat like "There's a war going on out there. The whole city's ablaze"... but we don't get to see any of it.
    Careful auntie, your budget is showing. :D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Any mention of "fish fingers and custard". It wasn't funny the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all a lot better than Star Trek Voyagers "get that cheese to sick bay!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Anytime River says "Sweetie" or that time she said "disgracefully" in the Name of the Doctor. Actually, when she says "husband" too in Rory and Amy's last episode.

As much as he seems a nice guy, in Time of the Doctor, when Clara's dad says "The one about the pigeon? You remember."

Some of Christopher Eccleston's lines in series one are cringey as well. Seem a little forced.
  • adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Any time the 9th says fantastic, it is too upbeat for such a dark Doctor.