Options

Immigration - why the OLD should be in favour and YOUNG against..

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    I liked the "British" immigration system how it "was" in the not so distant past.,not how you want it to be.
    I don't remember anything other than the 4 countries being a border free zone.
    But I do remember when the scum of mainland Europe had to apply/qualify and in the case of serious criminals,fail to do so.
    With the slim possibility of leaving the EU,I may get what I see to be a better way of doing things.

I Think what he is trying to say is because other countries have different legal systems to such an extent that sentencing over "there" might be even more strange then over here. Thus, ideally, people with criminal records should only be allowed into the UK on a case by case basis.

You example of Scotland does not really fit the bill, as its laws, although a bit different, do come from Westminster. However, even they let the Lockerbie Bomber go on trumped up medical reports

- would we really want the Lockerbie bomber wondering around rUK?

If the answer is "NO" then surely, for other, non UK states, we really should bar entry for peple who have criminal records UNLESS we give them specific leave to enter on a case by case basis. Some of these guys might well have murdered their wifes but be OK as a "Crime of Passion" might be considered "no crime" in some more weird places... Clearly we don't want more wife murderers in the UK.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's a good question, and a fair one. I don't know, but I would like to think that the experts are able to adequately plan local resources and public services around an inflating population.

Don't forget, in theory, taxation is supposed to pay for such services. Providing the bulk of immigrants aren't all elderly, infirm and lazy (which they aren't) it's supposed to be a sustainable system, in theory.

It's so good, you haven't answered it. Exactly how many more people do you think we can handle in your utopian dream of open borders?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

It's a good question, and a fair one. I don't know, but I would like to think that the experts are able to adequately plan local resources and public services around an inflating population.

Don't forget, in theory, taxation is supposed to pay for such services. Providing the bulk of immigrants aren't all elderly, infirm and lazy (which they aren't) it's supposed to be a sustainable system, in theory.

I think the evidence of recent years is that 'experts' are incapable of responding well to circumstances and planning local resources and public services around an inflating population.
    It does not take the 'bulk' of immigrants to be elderly, infirm and lazy it is beyond belief that any immigrants are elderly infirm and/or lazy. We have no control of those who are exactly that. Even worse no control over those who are, or are potentially, an excessive drain on those very services.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Would you take 6 random white brits to live in your home without any checks

The problem is not multiculturalism it is poorly managed immigration

No. The problem is Britain is full.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I think the evidence of recent years is that 'experts' are incapable of responding well to circumstances and planning local resources and public services around an inflating population.
    It does not take the 'bulk' of immigrants to be elderly, infirm and lazy it is beyond belief that any immigrants are elderly infirm and/or lazy. We have no control of those who are exactly that. Even worse no control over those who are, or are potentially, an excessive drain on those very services.

Nobody in their right mind would go out,leave their front door open all day and hope that only nice people come into the house ;-)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,602
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind would go out,leave their front door open all day and hope that only nice people come into the house ;-)

Post #98 makes a good point as regards this.