Options

Robin Windsor

I like Robin but I do not understand the out cry on twitter to sign a petition to bring him back he has been on the show for 5 year's some like Trent only get to do 1 year I think that it is good to see new pro's and what they can being to the show

Comments

• Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the longer that pros are on the show the more chance they have of developing a fanbase and some viewers get attached to them. I liked Robin but tbh I didn't miss him last year when he was injured and I'm actually surprised that there is a bit of an outcry about him being dropped from the line up. I do think it was remiss of the BBC to not even acknowledge him and his contribution when they announced this years line up though.
  • Options
    Janet_Martin1Janet_Martin1 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Yes I do agree that they should have acknowledge him but they do strange thing's who would have thought Ola would be back after letting them down last year.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So rude not to thank him for all his hard work when others were singled out for praise. Ruder still not to mention him at all - as if he no longer exists outside of Strictly. Casting him off like an old pair of Kristina's panties.

I understand why the show culls dancers to keep it fresh and I won't greatly miss Robin. Based on last season's performances I probably would have dumped Brendan instead because his heart wasn't in it - the David Cameron of Strictly :D

James Jordan said that the producers wanted to axe Robin last year. I don't know how true that is but as time passes James seems to be quite a reliable informant so maybe Robin's cards were marked and it won't have come as too much of a surprise to him.

Hopefully as the Strictly door closes another one will open. Only Anton (and perhaps Brendan and maybe even Ola lol) can milk Strictly for as long as they want to - the rest probably need to be thinking about taking a feather out of Flavia and Vincent's cap or graduating to DWTS! Hopefully there's always Strictly Estonia or suchlike to fall back on.
  • Options
    Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So rude not to thank him for all his hard work when others were singled out for praise. Ruder still not to mention him at all - as if he no longer exists outside of Strictly. Casting him off like an old pair of Kristina's panties.

I understand why the show culls dancers to keep it fresh and I won't greatly miss Robin. Based on last season's performances I probably would have dumped Brendan instead because his heart wasn't in it - the David Cameron of Strictly :D

James Jordan said that the producers wanted to axe Robin last year. I don't know how true that is but as time passes James seems to be quite a reliable informant so maybe Robin's cards were marked and it won't have come as too much of a surprise to him.

Hopefully as the Strictly door closes another one will open. Only Anton (and perhaps Brendan and maybe even Ola lol) can milk Strictly for as long as they want to - the rest probably need to be thinking about taking a feather out of Flavia and Vincent's cap or graduating to DWTS! Hopefully there's always Strictly Estonia or suchlike to fall back on.
    This was my view, but I was surprised they used him for the Peoples Strictly, where he shone, just to dump him. Maybe he has not been entirely dumped and will have a role similar to Ian
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His dancing and choreography may not have been his best strength, but he is definitely a very nice guy. I would guess - like Janette - he is a catalyst for a good atmosphere backstage.

He is an unselfish person and was an ideal choice (as were all the pros) for The People's Strictly.

I wish him well.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should absolutely have been mentioned on the press release (I guess they'd say that since he didn't dance last year he wasn't really leaving this year) but this petition nonsense to reinstate him is a bit embarrassing.

Robin seems like the loveliest guy and I suspect he will stay in the Strictly family in someway, especially if the People's Strictly returns, but I don't think he's a massive loss to the show as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure whether to mention this but when he was last on Robin was the only openly gay dancer - it would seem now in the current line up with the new additions there are no gay dancers now.

I think there are quite a lot of gay strictly fans - so I think perhaps Robin had a gay following and I know he's done quite a bit of gay press. And before I get slaughtered, I know that not every gay person who watches strictly will have fancied Robin or even liked him as a dancer but I reckon some would have and be disappointed that he's been dropped especially as there's no gay dancers on the show to identify with now.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I wasn't sure whether to mention this but when he was last on Robin was the only openly gay dancer - it would seem now in the current line up with the new additions there are no gay dancers now.

I think there are quite a lot of gay strictly fans - so I think perhaps Robin had a gay following and I know he's done quite a bit of gay press. And before I get slaughtered, I know that not every gay person who watches strictly will have fancied Robin or even liked him as a dancer but I reckon some would have and be disappointed that he's been dropped especially as there's no gay dancers on the show to identify with now.

Surely gay strictly fans don't need a gay pro dancer to identify with the show?

To be honest, I find that Strictly does everything by numbers and each year there is a Scottish celeb, Welsh celeb, Irish celeb, oap celeb, oversized celeb, gay celeb, asian/black celeb, etc. The tokenism goes too far. This year they're hiring a new black female pro and all I want to hear about is her fantastic dancing, not whether it's good that they've hired someone with her skin colour, or bad that they've hired someone with her skin colour, or anything else about her skin colour. Let's see her dance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davegold wrote: »

To be honest, I find that Strictly does everything by numbers and each year there is a Scottish celeb, Welsh celeb, Irish celeb, oap celeb, oversized celeb, gay celeb, asian/black celeb, etc. The tokenism goes too far. This year they're hiring a new black female pro and all I want to hear about is her fantastic dancing, not whether it's good that they've hired someone with her skin colour, or bad that they've hired someone with her skin colour, or anything else about her skin colour. Let's see her dance.

I do not totally agree with that.It depends on the individual. Robin was in the gay press and it was important to him that he had the opportunity to present a positive gay image. Similarly Otlile has danced a showdance in memory of Nelson Mandela which suggests that for her being black is important and informs her decisions. Similarly Natalie Gumede had music that were all from Black female singers, I understand that was her request
    I agree with you when it is tokenism and each and every demographic is represented but if it is a matter of importance to the individual we need to know and respect that.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... but this petition nonsense to reinstate him is a bit embarrassing.
    Embarrassing and impractical - even if the producers were to take note (and that is debatable), then what would they do? Drop one of the newly-contracted pros (pros who would have signed a legally-binding contract, and then announce to the world that xxxxx is no longer appearing?

Or go with one extra couple (making 17 couples in all)? Thus adding to the cost of the programme (which would have had its budget set some time ago)?

Never going to happen
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you believe that Robin and Otile were hired out of misguided tokenism, or are you saying that's not the case (and posters/fans shouldn't be interested in anything outside of their dancing ability)?

Anyway, has there really been much discussion about Otile being black, beyond a few posts saying it's good to see? I'm not sure being primarily interested in her dancing prowess and being pleased to have a black pro on the show (after ten years) are mutually exclusive ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you believe that Robin and Otile were hired out of misguided tokenism, or are you saying that's not the case (and posters/fans shouldn't be interested in anything outside of their dancing ability)?

I think we should talk about her being a good dancer. We should talk about Robin for all his qualities as a pro.

The people who say "Strictly should hire a black/gay dancer" are the first people who would get angry when someone else says "this dancer was only hired because people said the BBC should hire a black/gay dancer".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should talk about her being a good dancer. We should talk about Robin for all his qualities as a pro.

The people who say "Strictly should hire a black/gay dancer" are the first people who would get angry when someone else says "this dancer was only hired because people said the BBC should hire a black/gay dancer".

Oh I see you are a UKIP voter. it would be easier for all of us if you just said that at the begining
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice guy, but Robin was never one of my favourite pros and if it wasn't for his ITT project, I would have forgotten about him. Now he's just another pro dropped from the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see you are a UKIP voter. it would be easier for all of us if you just said that at the begining

No not at all. If you disagree, then make a case, don't throw around insults.

I state again, anyone who says "There should be a black/gay dancer on the show" must realize they do themselves create the question "Is that dancer only there because someone demanded black/gay dancers?". One only happens because of the other.

(I'm not personally questioning the quality of these dancers, just raising a point of logic).
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not at all. If you disagree, then make a case, don't throw around insults.

I state again, anyone who says "There should be a black/gay dancer on the show" must realize they do themselves create the question "Is that dancer only there because someone demanded black/gay dancers?". One only happens because of the other.

(I'm not personally questioning the quality of these dancers, just raising a point of logic).

I'm not a UKIP voter either and I agree about having a black dancer (not so much a gay dancer!). I can just hear the producers discussing the politically correct reasons for having a black dancer. I can see Otlile being one of my favourites and can't wait to see her on the show! On YT she looks simply amazing! :cool:
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Robins quite clearly a lovely chap - but let's be honest here..... He wasn't the best dancer or choreographer on the show. Is most of the outrage because the BBC didn't thank him in the announcement, rather than the fact he wasn't re- employed?

As he wasn't in the main show last year - technically they were correct in only saying goodbye and thanks to Trent and Iveta, but given his involvement with People's Strictly and the Chrismas special, maybe they could (indeed SHOULD) have included him.

I for one won't miss him, let's face it pro dancers are let go virtually every series - even those who have been far more successful in the show than Robin (eg Former winners like Darren Bennet, Lilia Kopylova, Matthew Cutler Artem Chigvintsev and Camilla Dallerup, finalists Ian Waite and Erin Boag, James Jordan) have all been "fired without anywhere near the same degree of outrage from viewers, so why has Robin's firing been different?

He's had a good run on the show, got his name known to the public and he's in a position to capitalise on that - and in fairness, apart from his initial statement on the matter, he has maintained a dignified silence.

I wish him well with his career from her on, but I am looking forward to seeing the new pros take to the floor in September time!
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Robins quite clearly a lovely chap - but let's be honest here..... He wasn't the best dancer or choreographer on the show. Is most of the outrage because the BBC didn't thank him in the announcement, rather than the fact he wasn't re- employed?

As he wasn't in the main show last year - technically they were correct in only saying goodbye and thanks to Trent and Iveta, but given his involvement with People's Strictly and the Chrismas special, maybe they could (indeed SHOULD) have included him.

I for one won't miss him, let's face it pro dancers are let go virtually every series - even those who have been far more successful in the show than Robin (eg Former winners like Darren Bennet, Lilia Kopylova, Matthew Cutler Artem Chigvintsev and Camilla Dallerup, finalists Ian Waite and Erin Boag, James Jordan) have all been "fired without anywhere near the same degree of outrage from viewers, so why has Robin's firing been different?

He's had a good run on the show, got his name known to the public and he's in a position to capitalise on that - and in fairness, apart from his initial statement on the matter, he has maintained a dignified silence.

I wish him well with his career from her on, but I am looking forward to seeing the new pros take to the floor in September time!

I think there was a lot more outrage when Darren, Lilia, Matt and Ian were let go than there has been for Robin. There wasn't really for Camilla, Erin and Artem as it was obviously their decision (and Artem had a job to go to on DWTS). I think you're right that most people are more bothered that the BBC didn't thank him and that he had shown no signs of wanting to leave, rather than that people will miss him that much.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member

After thinking on it for a few months I'm convinced Sunetra was utterly wasted on Brendan; imagine what she could've done with a pro who was actually invested and motivated. :( Sophie too, if she'd been with Aljaz/Tristan she might've at least made the Final 3, we all know choreography isn't much of a factor there as her Charleston was choreographed by someone else.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Robin but I do not understand the out cry on twitter to sign a petition to bring him back he has been on the show for 5 year's some like Trent only get to do 1 year I think that it is good to see new pro's and what they can being to the show

I dont understand it either - a petition isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference, the producers have made their decision and they wont change their minds

What I do find distasteful is the fact the BBC openly thanked Iveta and Trent for their time on the show but COMPLETELY ignored Robin despite the fact that he has been part of the show for 5 years

That is rude and totally uncalled for and I can totally understand why fans are upset by that

Personally I wont miss Robin, I have never been wowed by his choreography and I dont think he is a great dancer, I have never met the guy but I dont doubt that he is a lovely guy but he has never been one of my favourites - sorry
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monsieur23 wrote: »
    After thinking on it for a few months I'm convinced Sunetra was utterly wasted on Brendan; imagine what she could've done with a pro who was actually invested and motivated. :( Sophie too, if she'd been with Aljaz/Tristan she might've at least made the Final 3, we all know choreography isn't much of a factor there as her Charleston was choreographed by someone else.

:confused: Sophie did make the final 3 - and to be fair, I don't think there would have been any other pro more invested in Sophie than Brendan was.

I think Sunetra was hindered more by work schedule and logistics as much as anything else.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    :confused: Sophie did make the final 3 - and to be fair, I don't think there would have been any other pro more invested in Sophie than Brendan was.

I think Sunetra was hindered more by work schedule and logistics as much as anything else.

Sophie came 4th, and went out before her Charleston (which would've given her a fair shot at winning). Brendan always felt a little condescending towards Sophie, and I don't think he ever really pushed her.

I'll agree Sunetra was hampered from the off, but Brendan was very little support.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I dont understand it either - a petition isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference, the producers have made their decision and they wont change their minds

What I do find distasteful is the fact the BBC openly thanked Iveta and Trent for their time on the show but COMPLETELY ignored Robin despite the fact that he has been part of the show for 5 years

That is rude and totally uncalled for and I can totally understand why fans are upset by that

Personally I wont miss Robin, I have never been wowed by his choreography and I dont think he is a great dancer, I have never met the guy but I dont doubt that he is a lovely guy but he has never been one of my favourites - sorry
    I think perhaps because the BBC didn't comment on Robin because he didn't end up competing last year due to injury. He wasn't part of the 2014 series, so it felt like he had already left Strictly at the end of the previous series. Trent and Iveta were both 'current' pros, because they had taken part in the 2014 series. I'm not saying that the BBC was right to feel that way, if that is in fact the reason behind it, especially as Robin took part in the People's Strictly, but it might explain why they didn't acknowledge him.

I'm another one who was never wowed by Robin. He seems a nice guy but his choreography was distinctly lacking for me. I felt, for example, that he pretty much had Lisa Reilly doing the same thing every single week; I think she might have been less annoying with a pro who challenged her to develop as a dancer, instead of becoming a one-trick pony. Still, I wish him all the best in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monsieur23 wrote: »

I'm not Brendan's biggest fan especially after last year but I'm not sure it was entirely his fault that Sophie didn't get to the final 4 - they were given a fast track for their freestyle which meant they could only dance Latin or Disco to it and Latin wasn't Sophie's strengh - let's just put it this way she wasn't on the tour so I suspect the producers were delighted she was first out in the finals. It's a shame because I liked Sophie and I really wanted to see the Charleston again but I don't hold Brendan responsible.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »

None of the pros are ever fired. Their contracts are only ever per series anwyay. So technically it's more that they don't get re-asked to do a new series, as once they finish a series they're automatically unemployed by the BBC by default.

Camilla left of her own accord, so the BBC never needed to consider whether they'd want to ask her back for a new series, as she eliminated herself out of the situation, prior. When she won with Tom, she saw it as a good high to end her Strictly time on. She said something along the lines of wanting to leave while the party was still on. Basically, leave of your own choosing rather than waiting till you're not wanted anymore.

Artem was hired by DWTS, so argubly he had a better option come along (as I think DWTS pros get paid fractionally more, and do more than one show a year). Plus he became an American citizen officially as well, so it all timed itself nicely for him.

Erin was preganant prior to the a next series of Strictly airing,so I think it was more that situation of looming pregnancy and motherhood that automatically ruled her out of the running to be asked back.

Karen Hardy also left of her own accord, sighting plans to focus on her school as reason to call time on Strictly main show, but has enough time for ITT.

All others that you mention like Ian, Matthew, Darren, Lilya, plus, Nicole Cutler, Jared Murillow, Hayley were not asked back for reasons unknown. None of them had said they had left of their own accord, they just didn't get asked back for a new series. Hayley prob makes sense, as she was really only a filler before Natalie Lowe showed up. The BBC had wanted Natalie for the year Hayley was on the show, but she was still doing Australian DWTS so brought in Hayley in the meantime while Natalie finished her last year there. Then once Natalie was green for Strictly, they didn't have the need to ask Hayley back.