Did any celebrity deaths really upset you?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I remember my sister collecting me from school and breaking the news to me about the death of Freddie Mercury. I was about 10 at the time and I cried all night. My Dad had introduced me to Queen and we used to watch their videos and play their tapes virtually every day. I didn't understand why I got so upset as a child but I suppose you grow up with these people, connect them to certain elements of your life in some way and then get emotionally attached. I felt sad for the death of MJ and PSH. Admittedly, some celebrity deaths don't affect me, others do. It depends who it is.
  • FluffynpinKFluffynpinK Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I found it really hard to hear about Robin Williams' death.
    I wasn't some big, huge fan. But to hear he was in such a terrible state of mind really upset me because I did really like him.

Some people find this pathetic and fake, but that's incredibly unfair.
    When you're a fan or grow up watching a show or movies, it does feel like you know the actors or singers. Especially when you're a fan, and especially if it's tragic. They feel like extended family in a way; they make you laugh, cry, sing, dance etc. And there is nothing wrong with feeling like that and I wish people would stop belittling it.

Nobody belittles you for not getting upset. I might as well call you cold, apathetic or even pathetic.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also felt very sad at hearing of Robin Williams death. It wasn't so much that he'd died but the way it happened. I had to turn the news off later in the day because it was making me feel so sad. I've been in that situation myself several times due to depression but was 'fortunate' enough to survive. Whether I was fortunate or not depends on the mood I am in when I reflect on it. I just feel for him because I can imagine how lonely a death it must have been and can empathise with what was probably going through his mind. I was also saddened by the indignity of it all, with so much detail being given at the news conference. He hung himself. That's all we need to know. There was far too much info given.

I know that whenever I see Robin Williams in a film now, the experience of watching it will be tainted by a feeling of sadness.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Why? He chose to take the risks, he was a grown man who knew what he was doing. He took the risk and paid a big price. No sympathy here

Quite right. Steve Irwin gets no sympathy from me either I couldn't stand the obnoxious egomaniac. Tormenting animals so as to make yourself look big is hardly anything to be proud of.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    For me, John Lennon's death was the most shocking.

He'd just made a successful comeback and life was looking good for him.

He wasn't ill, he didn't commit suicide and he didn't overdose - he was shot dead. Murdered.

I can still remember the morning I heard it. I was in the bathroom getting ready for work when it came on the news. I was stunned.

I'm a Beatles fan anyway but the sheer brutality of his death made it all the worse.
  • ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Winehouse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Cory Monteith was an incredibly sad one for me, because I adore Lea Michele as an actress, philanthropist and all around talent - the amount of pain I could only imagine her and the rest of the Glee cast being in made me immensely sad. Such a huge loss of talent.
    Robin Williams' death made me very sad too, having grown up on Aladdin and Mrs Doubtfire, and hearing that it was down to his depression makes it even sadder. If anything comes from his death, I hope it's more awareness to speak out about mental health issues.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    For me

Owen hart
    Kurt cobain
    Lisa lopez
    Heath ledger
    George best
    Ultimate warrior
    Chris beniot for all the wrong reasons
    Sharon tate and baby
    Rik mayell
    Ronnie barker
    Paul walker
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=rupert_pupkin;72443280]Not yet, but there are actors and footballers and musicians that will definitely hurt

Some of them are old enough for it not to be a shock aswell. It's the feeling that your childhood is long gone and you're getting old rather than anything personal isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Mary J Blidge.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princess Diana really left me distraught . Still upsets me now .
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Quite right. Steve Irwin gets no sympathy from me either I couldn't stand the obnoxious egomaniac. Tormenting animals so as to make yourself look big is hardly anything to be proud of.

What are you talking about?? He spent his life not only caring for animals, but educating people about them so that more humans might respect them rather than treating them as disposable objects. His passion for the animal kingdom and his unshakeable belief that people should be stewards of rather than rulers over animals has been a tremendous influence on people everywhere. How dare you say he tormented them like he was some kind of ruinous idiot who cared nothing for the animals he in fact LOVED?!! Shameful.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobby Driscoll, who was the voice of Peter Pan in the Disney cartoon was Walt Disney's favourite child star in the late 40's and early 50's, but a severe case of acne at the onset of puberty lead to the termination of his contract with the studio. He struggled to find more acting work and his life descended into one of alcohol and drug abuse.
    In 1968 two boys playing in a deserted tenement in Manhattan's East Side found a body, death was recorded as heart failure due to long term drug abuse, the body had no ID on it and went unrecognised and unclaimed and was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave. Late in 1969 Driscoll's mother sought the help of the Disney Studios to trace her missing son for a hoped for reunion with his father who was close to death. This resulted in a finger print match at NYPD and thus his death was eventually discovered, he died three weeks after his 31st birthday. His name appears on his father's gravestone though his body still lies in it's pauper's grave in New York City's Potter's Field on Hart Island, a sad end for anyone famous or not.
    I always felt for Mark Speight who committed suicide after his girlfriend's death.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    Pete Duel

I've been watching Alias Smith and Jones on ITV4 and they've now got to the Roger Davis episodes, with Davis replacing Pete. Still find it hard to watch these.

Considering the sad recent passing of Robin Williams, Pete's passing still seems raw. :(

(for those too young to know Pete Duel (aged 31) shot himself, at the height of his fame in Alias Smith and Jones )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I've been watching Alias Smith and Jones on ITV4 and they've now got to the Roger Davis episodes, with Davis replacing Pete. Still find it hard to watch these.

Considering the sad recent passing of Robin Williams, Pete's passing still seems raw. :(

(for those too young to know Pete Duel (aged 31) shot himself, at the height of his fame in Alias Smith and Jones )

Well that came as a shock! I used to loved Alias Smith and Jones and had no idea Pete Dual was dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that came as a shock! I used to loved Alias Smith and Jones and had no idea Pete Dual was dead.

Sadly yes. He died New Years Eve 1971. I was 11 years old and it had a big impact on me, as I had a big crush on him. :(
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    James Beck the actor who played Private Walker in Dad's Army. I was very young at the time and I was only really able to equate death with old age, so him being about my dad's age came as a real shock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly yes. He died New Years Eve 1971. I was 11 years old and it had a big impact on me, as I had a big crush on him. :(

He was very handsome, I was born in the late 60's so remember him from the re runs of that show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    James Beck the actor who played Private Walker in Dad's Army. I was very young at the time and I was only really able to equate death with old age, so him being about my dad's age came as a real shock.

Oh my word yes you've reminded me. It seemed so wrong that in a cast of old men, the (almost) youngest guy died. I thought his character of Walker was great

Also, Richard Beckinsdale. Taken way too young and it devastated Ronnie Barker.
  • real worldreal world Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    John Belushi

Ian Curtis

Johnny Ramone, Joey Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone and Tommy Ramone.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saddened to hear that Lauren Bacall had died. Not in the sense that I wanted her to live forever or anything - we've all got to die - it's just that I know people *can* live longer these days, and so long as they're in relatively good health then that's no bad thing. I guess what I'm saying is that she was at the age where it was to be expected, but it still symbolises something about the passing of an era. My goodness, as obscure as she may be now, I believe that double-30s-oscar-winner Luise Rainer is still alive and well past the centenary mark.

I know that Olivia de Havilland is well into her 90s and still going, but I think that her increasing lack of public exposure hints at a general weariness and debility, so alas I think she won't be with us for much longer unforetold. On the other hand, someone like Angela Lansbury who is very, very 'mature' but still very, very active in her field, ie acting, it would be that much more sad again if she died suddenly and/or unexpectedly.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    I was saddened to hear that Lauren Bacall had died. Not in the sense that I wanted her to live forever or anything - we've all got to die - it's just that I know people *can* live longer these days, and so long as they're in relatively good health then that's no bad thing. I guess what I'm saying is that she was at the age where it was to be expected, but it still symbolises something about the passing of an era. My goodness, as obscure as she may be now, I believe that double-30s-oscar-winner Luise Rainer is still alive and well past the centenary mark.

I know that Olivia de Havilland is well into her 90s and still going, but I think that her increasing lack of public exposure hints at a general weariness and debility, so alas I think she won't be with us for much longer unforetold. On the other hand, someone like Angela Lansbury who is very, very 'mature' but still very, very active in her field, ie acting, it would be that much more sad again if she died suddenly and/or unexpectedly.

I was sad to hear about Lauren Bacall too and you mentioned Olivia De Havilland, I only recently found out her sister Joan Fontaine had passed away. Mickey Rooney is another actor from the golden age of film who's recently passed away and I find it sad that there aren't many of them left, I can't think of many who are still alive. Kirk Douglas must be in his 90s now and Maureen O'Hara is still going strong, she'll be 94 in two days.

I remember being sad when Ingrid Bergman and Audrey Hepburn died, both in their 60s, which isn't really that old, and both from cancer. They seemed like lovely, humble ladies as well as very talented, classy actresses, huge stars of their day.
  • real worldreal world Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    CMcKinley wrote: »
    Freddie Mercury.

I was in my teens when Freddie Mercury passed away but can still remember people saying how sad it was as when he was younger aids wasn't even known about.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Ritter's death upset me. I LOVED Eight Simple Rules, and also he was was so nice, so funny and so much a part of my childhood (Threes Company and IT) that it just seemed so UNFAIR that he died.
    Forum Member
    Another one that upset me was Ross McWhirter. I remember my brother telling me about it on a coach up to Glasgow in 1975.
    He'd always seemed like such a gentlemenly sage with his brother on record breakers until then, that it was quite sinister to be told he'd been assasinated by the IRA.
    Forum Member
    Oh my word yes you've reminded me. It seemed so wrong that in a cast of old men, the (almost) youngest guy died. I thought his character of Walker was great

Also, Richard Beckinsdale. Taken way too young and it devastated Ronnie Barker.

Thank you RoseAnne.
    Yes Richard Beckinsdale was still in his twenties, a real shocker.