Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    Season 7, Episode 3 "The One With Phoebe's Cookies"

It was on the other day and as I noticed that Jack Geller, Ross & Monica's dad, was talking to Chandler in the gym/spa (wherever they went for Chandler to sit on Jack's lap...) and he said something like "I know what it's like when you try and impress the in-laws. When I first met Judy's parents, I told them I was studying law."

Chandler then asked when he told them the truth.

Jack replies with something like "I didn't. So if you see me giving them legal advice just nod along..."

This almost made me choke on my own rage...

Judy's mother died in the first season (Episode 8 "The One Where Nana Dies Twice" and is confirmed at Monica and Chandler's wedding when Judy says she wishes her mother was there) and as far as I can recall, the grandfather is never, ever, ever mentioned. Not at the funeral, not at any of Ross' weddings or Monica's wedding to Chandler, not at the birth of the twins...never!!

Weird.

That was a good one. However, if there is one way round it, I'd say that maybe Jack told most of his in-laws about studying law probably so Judy's mother would never find out from someone else. Hence why he said that to Chandler as there may be other in-laws still around who believe that Jack studied law.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a gripe, but maybe a technical issue.

In the episode where Chandler tries to set up Rachel from guys from his work, there was an odd noise when they were talking in Central Perk. Rachel says he has the best taste and Chandler says, "Well, like Father like son"... and then an odd noise comes in, something that sounds like an out of tune train trying to honk.

At first I thought it was my VHS that had a fault(yep, I have them still!), but then the last time on CC, it was there again.
  • Options
    TmeltTmelt Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    MrTheD wrote: »
    The theme song.

'No-one told you life was gonna be this way'

later on...

'Your mother warned you there would be days like these'

So, clearly they were told :)

My favourite gripe I've seen :D
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Not really a gripe, but maybe a technical issue.

In the episode where Chandler tries to set up Rachel from guys from his work, there was an odd noise when they were talking in Central Perk. Rachel says he has the best taste and Chandler says, "Well, like Father like son"... and then an odd noise comes in, something that sounds like an out of tune train trying to honk.

At first I thought it was my VHS that had a fault(yep, I have them still!), but then the last time on CC, it was there again.

I can't hear that when i watch the ep on dvd, But there is a guy in the audience who makes a weird noise that sounds odd and not like a laugh....Is it that?
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love Friends though. I could quite happily sit and watch it for hours!
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Phoebe's dad - extremely weak character, unfunny and poorly written section of the show.

Oh God yeah, he was bloody awful! It seems the producers realised it too, as he was never - that I recall anyway - seen or heard from or even mentioned again.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross Geller.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like this thread but some people are a little OTT and taking Frienss too seriously lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »
    Like this thread but some people are a little OTT and taking Frienss too seriously lol.

I don't think that is the case. Most fans of the show have probably seen all the episodes multiple times due to all the repeats shown, it seems to be a case that most posting here love the show still but given it's age people have discussedd the show to death and it is just a bit if fun to pick out a few fun innacuracies or minor annoyances.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I've discovered over the years is that a LOT of American sitcoms have really bad continuity. It still continues to this day, as The Big Bang Theory has on numerous occasions contradicted itself as well! :D
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTheD wrote: »
    The theme song.

'No-one told you life was gonna be this way'

later on...

'Your mother warned you there would be days like these'

So, clearly they were told :)
    Tmelt wrote: »
    My favourite gripe I've seen :D

Yep, mine too. :D:D
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    One thing I've discovered over the years is that a LOT of American sitcoms have really bad continuity. It still continues to this day, as The Big Bang Theory has on numerous occasions contradicted itself as well! :D

Yep How I met your mother did aswell, though not as bad as Friends or TBBT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Yep How I met your mother did aswell, though not as bad as Friends or TBBT.

Can't think of any continuity errors in HIMYM. In fact, because of the nature of the show, I thought it had perfect continiuty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a gripe, but never liked nor understood the line at the end of the episode that Ben is born where Monica states she will 'always have gum'
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Not really a gripe, but never liked nor understood the line at the end of the episode that Ben is born where Monica states she will 'always have gum'

I think it's supposed to mean she will always be there as the aunt he can go to for things his parents might not allow him to have, sweets etc.
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Jon Lovitz character always bugged me, well the way he was used anyway. He showed up as a pot-addled restauranteur in the first season, and annoyed Monica, Rachel and Phoebe. Phoebe got her own back at the end of the episode by giving him (think his name was Steve) a painful massage.

Then all the way forward to the final season, Lovitz returned, presumably playing the same guy (still named Steve IIRC) and still possessing similar traits to Season 1 Steve. Phoebe has obviously kept in contact somehow with him for all these years to set him up on a date with Rachel, a date designed to be terrible so Rachel would realise how much Ross means to her.

But the major annoyance is that Rachel seemingly doesn't remember or recognise him at all, and therefore doesn't cotton on instantly that's she's been set up on a deliberately bad date. Even when Steve immediately begins to act peculiarly it doesn't trigger any memories of him all those years ago causing havoc in Monica's kitchen, despite Rachel persuading Monica to hire her as a waitress that evening and bearing witness to Steve's stoned behaviour.

Just kind of annoying that Rachel wouldn't even reference her previous encounter with Steve, either on the date or to Phoebe or Monica afterwards. It's like she suffered some sort of Lovitz amnesia :D
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Ross's wedding to Emily, when Chander and Monica are discussing the fact that they slept together, Monica says 'How did we let this happen?' and Chandler says '7 times'.

However in a flashback episode later on it is revealed that Joey came into the room where Monica was hiding under the bed, and Chandler asked him to leave a condom. Wow, they certainly got their money's worth out of that bad boy!
  • Options
    A_SmurfA_Smurf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    The only gripe I have with TOW Pheobe's Wedding is that Monica was more controlling and obsessive over organising Phoebe's wedding than she was with her own. I know it's a Monica thing but still. Especially with the rehearsal dinner, I don't think Monica had her and Chandler's rehearsal dinner timed to the minute :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching the Barbados episodes on CC.

That scene where Rachel and Joey steal name tags so they can get into one of the leftures, but earlier Ross had given the whole group all access passes to all the events at the conference, so why the need to steal name badges. Other than to shoehorn in the joke where Joey puts her badge on over her breast and that being the most sex she will get that weekend and Joey overexaggerating putting her badge on.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Jon Lovitz character always bugged me, well the way he was used anyway. He showed up as a pot-addled restauranteur in the first season, and annoyed Monica, Rachel and Phoebe. Phoebe got her own back at the end of the episode by giving him (think his name was Steve) a painful massage.

Then all the way forward to the final season, Lovitz returned, presumably playing the same guy (still named Steve IIRC) and still possessing similar traits to Season 1 Steve. Phoebe has obviously kept in contact somehow with him for all these years to set him up on a date with Rachel, a date designed to be terrible so Rachel would realise how much Ross means to her.

But the major annoyance is that Rachel seemingly doesn't remember or recognise him at all, and therefore doesn't cotton on instantly that's she's been set up on a deliberately bad date. Even when Steve immediately begins to act peculiarly it doesn't trigger any memories of him all those years ago causing havoc in Monica's kitchen, despite Rachel persuading Monica to hire her as a waitress that evening and bearing witness to Steve's stoned behaviour.

Just kind of annoying that Rachel wouldn't even reference her previous encounter with Steve, either on the date or to Phoebe or Monica afterwards. It's like she suffered some sort of Lovitz amnesia :D

This has already been discussed. 8 years is a long time so it is believeable that Rachel wouldn't remember
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read the whole thread but can't remember everything so apologies if this is a repeat. Just after Chandler & Monica have found out they will struggle to conceive, Chandler is discussing what the doctors have told them with Joey. He says something like: "Surrogacy is an option but all her life Monica's dreamt of carrying her own child". Joey: "So we're ruling out surrogacy?, so I don't have to learn what that means". Even though his very good friend Phoebe had done the same thing just a few years ago....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the episode "The One with the Rumor", Rachel mentioned that her and Ross dated for two years but Ross and Rachel ended their relationship exactly a day after their one year anniversary together back in season three.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Gripe with Friends is that they changed phoebe later on in the series to be quite nasty and mean spirited to the others at times, especially to chandler.

Also that they never did anything with Joey at the end, I know they were doing the spin off but that was a stupid idea and should of be realised as such, I just think after 10 years of following the character they never really moved him on within the show, he's basically the same from the start to the end, a struggling actor who gets some parts here and there who sleeps around.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »

I know what you mean. It feels like a joke that could have worked, but "gum" seems like such a poor choice of naughty thing that Monica could provide him.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    At Ross's wedding to Emily, when Chander and Monica are discussing the fact that they slept together, Monica says 'How did we let this happen?' and Chandler says '7 times'.

However in a flashback episode later on it is revealed that Joey came into the room where Monica was hiding under the bed, and Chandler asked him to leave a condom. Wow, they certainly got their money's worth out of that bad boy!

Ewwww, I never thought of that! Gross...!

:o